Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:05 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
I think the conversion is also affecting flights posting. I have a flight that is 7 days old now that still hasn't posted.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:08 pm

Does anyone know if JL releases last minute domestic inventory in economy? I know they usually release international business or first about 14 days out.

Anyone have experience with JL domestic last minute?
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by wlbatl
Worked for me today, but AAgent had to take additional steps to deal with JL migration to Amadeus. Be sure to search for each segment separately on BA.
What additional steps did the agent take? I was on a call and similar to other FT members, sounds like they are seeing zero availability.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by portfolioflyer
What additional steps did the agent take? I was on a call and similar to other FT members, sounds like they are seeing zero availability.
They need to check the revenue display for Z, U, or T.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
They need to check the revenue display for Z, U, or T.
Perfect that worked.
Z is for First,
U is for Business
T is for Economy
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:01 pm

Does anyone know if JL releases last minute domestic inventory in economy? I know they usually release international business or first about 14 days out.

Anyone have experience with JL domestic last minute?
To answer my own question, and if anyone else needs this in the future: yes, JL releases last minute domestic inventory.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 3:09 pm

Another DP: Looks like JL started releasing last minute inventories about 28 days out vs ~14 days under the old system.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:38 pm

I admit to not reading all of the thread, but I did read the wiki. Question: if I cancel a JL award on 5-day hold, does it return to inventory immediately? Many thanks!

(If an explanation is required, I would prefer to book an RT for my weeklong trip, rather than two one-ways. I would also like to grab the seats at the 330-day mark. Unfortunately the two preferences are incompatible. So I'd like to book, cancel after 4 days---this can be done on aa.com---and call immediately to hold it again. This works well on EY but I don't fly JL normally. )

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Nov 28, 2017 at 1:44 pm
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
I admit to not reading all of the thread, but I did read the wiki. Question: if I cancel a JL award on 5-day hold, does it return to inventory immediately? Many thanks!

(If an explanation is required, I would prefer to book an RT for my weeklong trip, rather than two one-ways. I would also like to grab the seats at the 330-day mark. Unfortunately the two preferences are incompatible. So I'd like to book, cancel after 4 days---this can be done on aa.com---and call immediately to hold it again. This works well on EY but I don't fly JL normally. )
​​​​​​
No, held awards do not always return to inventory.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:23 pm

If Alaska Air shows JAL award availability and BA does not. Does it mean AA can book it too? Or JAL gives alaska another bucket of award tickets?
Old Dec 2, 2017, 2:13 am

Programs: SPG Gold
Hi All,

I had a similar question about JAL space being released back into inventory after being on hold. Can folks confirm one way or the other if this does in fact happen? Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2017, 4:32 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGuy10
Hi All,

I had a similar question about JAL space being released back into inventory after being on hold. Can folks confirm one way or the other if this does in fact happen? Thanks!
Sometimes it does and sometimes it does not. There's no way to know in advance.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:45 am

Another DP: Looks like JL started releasing last minute inventories about 28 days out vs ~14 days under the old system.
From tracking about 50 days of releases, at ~60 if there's more than F6 they'll release up to F6, at ~30-28 they do the same, but if it's below F6 no release except in random instances (like an F3 all seats were released?) and then ~14 they will release either up to F1 or all the seats left for partner awards (visible through BA). So my outbound at ~60 I was able to grab 1 F they released going from F7 to F6, but my return I couldn't get until ~14 because it was already at F6, went to F4 on ~14, and then 4 F awards were released. (this was JFK-TYO, other routes may vary)
Old Dec 3, 2017, 4:23 pm

Another question (not answered in wiki). Can the AA agent assign seats during the award booking call, or should I do it on JL's web page, or do I have to call JL? If one of the latter two, do I need to wait until after ticketing? Many thanks!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Another question (not answered in wiki). Can the AA agent assign seats during the award booking call, or should I do it on JL's web page, or do I have to call JL? If one of the latter two, do I need to wait until after ticketing? Many thanks!
AA agent can do it. But you should also ask for the JL record locator in case you want to do it on JL's site or by contacting JL. (And, yes, I'd wait until after ticketing to reach out to JL.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.