Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
GUIDE to redeeming AA miles for Japan Air Lines awards:
  • JL awards are now shown show and can be booked on aa.com
  • AwardNexus (free to FlyerTalk members for basic searches) will also reveal, and (for a fee) alert, on JL award seats
  • AA awards on JL must be MileSAAver (AAnytime awards are only available on AA marketed and AA operated flights)
  • There are no onerous fuel or carrier-imposed surcharges using AAdvantage miles for awards using JL
  • JL initially releases awards to AAvantage members 330 days out at 10:00 am JST time (18:00 PDT, 17:00 PST). Note, JL award inventory is released to members of other FFPs 360 day out and updates award and revenue seat award availability once daily ~09:30-12:00 Pacific time
  • JL may release 0-2 F and 0-4 J award seats initially; until taken they remain available up to three months from release
  • No further seats are likely to be released until shortly (~14 days) prior to scheduled departure - but the last F seat will be retained for sale, not released into award inventory
  • No stopovers are allowed on AA awards. Connections may be as long as 23:59.
  • Only JAL Mileage Bank members can waitlist awards
  • All awards for domestic Japan will default to Economy (including international F or J award with domestic segments); these can often be upgraded at reasonable cost at the ticket counter in the Japan connecting airport
  • If JL & QF are showing availability, but AA can't see it, try calling the Australia AA center as it may be a point-of-sale issue

For 2012-2015 posts, please see
ARCHIVE: AA Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (master thd)

For further information, see:
HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage Award on JL / JAL / Japan Airlines (2016-2023)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2017, 2:24 am

Originally Posted by SeeBuyFly
Another question (not answered in wiki). Can the AA agent assign seats during the award booking call, or should I do it on JL's web page, or do I have to call JL? If one of the latter two, do I need to wait until after ticketing? Many thanks!
The easiest way to do it is just to ask AA for the JL PNR. Then, use that online on JL website to select any available seat.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 12:31 pm

Location: Westchester with HPN (LGA, JFK, EWR possible but...)
Programs: AA EXP, UA PP, HHonor Diamond, etc.
I try to book NYC-TYO RT next summer (June-July) for my family but BA website only shows PE...
I wonder if someone can help me how to find JL-direct flight economy seats for 3.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by uecsome
I try to book NYC-TYO RT next summer (June-July) for my family but BA website only shows PE...
I wonder if someone can help me how to find JL-direct flight economy seats for 3.
If availability isn't there then it isn't there, there's not much any of us can do but tell you to keep checking back.

June/July is still a very long ways off. There's a great chance you'll be able to snag 3 economy awards on one of the JFK-TYO flights, but they probably won't open up till later next year sometime.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by uecsome
Use alaskaair.com to search for award availability on JL. I am seeing JFK-TYO returns in economy available almost everyday in June/July timeframe. Call AA and ask for the dates you want. Economy is pretty widely available. Maybe a bug with the BA search?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 7:27 am

I'm not sure if my question is really dumb or not, so bear with me. Does AA issue a connecting flight if I'm booking a JFK-TYO JAL ticket? Put another way, to get a JAL ticket, do I need to put my origin in as JFK or can I book it out of Orlando with MCO-JFK on AA?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Seth Moore
I'm not sure if my question is really dumb or not, so bear with me. Does AA issue a connecting flight if I'm booking a JFK-TYO JAL ticket? Put another way, to get a JAL ticket, do I need to put my origin in as JFK or can I book it out of Orlando with MCO-JFK on AA?
Yes, you can route MCO-JFK-TYO, assuming there is award availability on AA.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 3:49 pm

Hi All,
I have a problem I am hoping the experts here can help with. In 2015 and 2016, we were able to redeem AA miles for Cathay First to Asia, and then JAL First on the return. Since it's now almost impossible to book 2 CX First Class seats in advance, I would like to do the "sure thing" and book 2 JAL First seats shortly after they are released. We are in DFW, so we are planning to do the ORD - NRT (onward to Taipei also on JAL doesn't look to be a problem) and the return NRT - ORD then to DFW on AA. The problem I just realized is that when the JAL seats for ORD to NRT are released at 7pm tonight (for example), there might not be any AA seats for the DFW - ORD leg. I've checked business and economy and I don't think they will be released until later. By then, I'm concerned the JAL First seats will be gone (which so far this week, I have noticed they are gone by the following morning Dallas time).

Is there anything I can do to solve this problem? Even if I held the 2 JAL First seats, I don't think I can then change the reservation to add DFW - ORD. Or can I?
Thanks so much as always for your help!
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA/AA
If availability opens up on DFW-ORD while your ticket is on hold you can certainly add it to you itinerary.
If not, I would find another flight using cash or miles to get to ORD in order to enjoy that JAL F transpac flight.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by Paiteaw
If availability opens up on DFW-ORD while your ticket is on hold you can certainly add it to you itinerary.
If not, I would find another flight using cash or miles to get to ORD in order to enjoy that JAL F transpac flight.
Hi. Can you explain how to add DFW - ORD. My understanding is, if I hold the JAL F seats (ORD-NRT-TPE) and then I later try to "add" DFW-ORD, AA will have to cancel my previous reservation and create a new one since my city of origin will have changed. And bc AA has to cancel my hold, there is no guarantee the 2 JAL F seats will go back into inventory. Is that not correct? Is it possible to add the DFW-ORD leg?

And yes, I understand we might have to arrange a separate ticket for DFW-ORD and the return (I think I'll run into the same problem coming back). I was wondering if anyone had a work around? Of course, the other thing would be to gamble on F seats opening up and just booking the DFW-NRT in business on JAL. Then I can always reroute to ORD / LAX / SFO if seats in F open up (and use more AA miles), but since there are actually 3 of us traveling together, we're hoping to lock in 2 at time of release, and then moving the 3rd up to F as we get closer to departure.

If anyone has a solution I'd greatly appreciate it! Thank you!
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DFW1972
Hi. Can you explain how to add DFW - ORD. My understanding is, if I hold the JAL F seats (ORD-NRT-TPE) and then I later try to "add" DFW-ORD, AA will have to cancel my previous reservation and create a new one since my city of origin will have changed. And bc AA has to cancel my hold, there is no guarantee the 2 JAL F seats will go back into inventory. Is that not correct? Is it possible to add the DFW-ORD leg?
Your understanding is incorrect, fortunately.

If you just put the ORD-NRT award on hold for 5 days, and then DFW-ORD opens up, it is very easy for an AAgent to add the DFW-ORD segment to your existing itinerary. Your ORD-NRT does not have to be cancelled and rebooked. No fees in this scenario since it's just on hold.

If you have already ticketed the ORD-NRT award, and later DFW-ORD opens up, you can also call AA and have them add the DFW-ORD segment. Since the award is already ticketed, the change of origin means you'd pay the $150 fee, but again AA would not have to cancel your original ORD-NRT segment to make the change.

In both cases, the DFW-ORD segment is just tacked onto the beginning without touching the JL ORD-NRT flight.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Your understanding is incorrect, fortunately.

If you just put the ORD-NRT award on hold for 5 days, and then DFW-ORD opens up, it is very easy for an AAgent to add the DFW-ORD segment to your existing itinerary. Your ORD-NRT does not have to be cancelled and rebooked. No fees in this scenario since it's just on hold.

If you have already ticketed the ORD-NRT award, and later DFW-ORD opens up, you can also call AA and have them add the DFW-ORD segment. Since the award is already ticketed, the change of origin means you'd pay the $150 fee, but again AA would not have to cancel your original ORD-NRT segment to make the change.

In both cases, the DFW-ORD segment is just tacked onto the beginning without touching the JL ORD-NRT flight.

THANK YOU!!! Soooo happy to be wrong! LOL

That is great news. I can stop sweating it and just wait to hold the JAL seats! We're not booking for a few months yet, but I like to have all my plans ready (where we're going, and can we do it all on points for the hotels, LOL)

My friends think I'm so "good" at this travel thing, but I'm a minor league player compared to you all.
Thanks so much!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Does switching from LAX-SFO-HND to LAX-NRT count as a "change of terminals" and trigger the $150 re-instatement fee? Agent said yes. I didn't argue it, but AA agents are so often wrong (yesterday one tried to charge me $40 booking fee, told me it was part of the taxes) that I don't trust 99% of what they say.

ETA: Agent called me back (WHAT?!?) and said she was incorrect. Was able to re-ticket.

Last edited by MAH4546; Dec 12, 2017 at 9:37 pm
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Does switching from LAX-SFO-HND to LAX-NRT count as a "change of terminals" and trigger the $150 re-instatement fee? Agent said yes. I didn't argue it, but AA agents are so often wrong (yesterday one tried to charge me $40 booking fee, told me it was part of the taxes) that I don't trust 99% of what they say.

ETA: Agent called me back (WHAT?!?) and said she was incorrect. Was able to re-ticket.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC changing origin or destination airport, not city (including co-terminals), will trigger the $150 reinstatement fee.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by dkc192
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but IIRC changing origin or destination airport, not city (including co-terminals), will trigger the $150 reinstatement fee.
This is my understanding as well. But I suppose sometimes misunderstanding (or misinterpreting) the rules can work in one's favor.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:27 am

Location: Westchester with HPN (LGA, JFK, EWR possible but...)
Programs: AA EXP, UA PP, HHonor Diamond, etc.
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If availability isn't there then it isn't there, there's not much any of us can do but tell you to keep checking back.

June/July is still a very long ways off. There's a great chance you'll be able to snag 3 economy awards on one of the JFK-TYO flights, but they probably won't open up till later next year sometime.
Originally Posted by skimthetrees
Use alaskaair.com to search for award availability on JL. I am seeing JFK-TYO returns in economy available almost everyday in June/July timeframe. Call AA and ask for the dates you want. Economy is pretty widely available. Maybe a bug with the BA search?
Thank you, JJeffrey and skimthetrees, for your advice!
I will check alaskaair.com as well as keep searching for flights!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.