Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Mobile App - Old standby/upgrade list on your phone (2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Mobile App - Old standby/upgrade list on your phone (2013)

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
Lightbulb Will AA add Upgrade List to phone app, like UA?

One of the handful of improvements the CO-UA merger brought was the addition of a feature to the UA app (the former CO app) showing flight upgrade lists. In the months after, colleagues and I found this feature very helpful.

A few days ago, while traveling AA, a mileage upgrade request I made weeks earlier, and verified by phone after checking-in via app morning of the flight, didn't transfer to the DM list. Had I not asked the GA, wouldn't have known my request fell through the cracks, as this airport's gate display didn't the show the upgrade list. (After being added back on the list at the gate, ultimately still didn't get the upgrade).

The AA app has certainly been improving recently. Would others like to see a upgrade list view added? If so, who best at AA to maybe contact and encourage this enhancement??
Old May 11, 2013, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Diamond
One can only hope... but for some reason, the treatment of the upgrade list by AA like state secrets makes me think this is a long way off.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:59 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As the TOS state, please use Search before starting a new thread and fragmenting information. Terms used: upgrade+phone

/Moderator
Old May 11, 2013, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP | UA Million Miler Gold (former decade-long 1K) | SPG Plat | Hyatt Plat | Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by Parkdesigner
One can only hope... but for some reason, the treatment of the upgrade list by AA like state secrets makes me think this is a long way off.
First, thanks JDiver for referring my post to this thread. Didn't see it myself.

Wndering why this update been hanging for over a year? The upgrade list is (usually) right on the gate monitor, so it's hardly a state secret.
Old May 11, 2013, 3:06 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
No worries.

I wonder if it might be IT again? The SWU debacle - it took perhaps a year to get those into our account? (But it extended the window of use / validity, so who am I to say anything bad about that particular issue...)

Originally Posted by UAfan
First, thanks JDiver for referring my post to this thread. Didn't see it myself.

Wndering why this update been hanging for over a year? The upgrade list is (usually) right on the gate monitor, so it's hardly a state secret.
Old May 12, 2013, 11:48 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
... I wonder if it might be IT again? ...
I presume so too. Think it's time I find out who heads up IT (and the app) for AA to put in a good word with them. I'll report back.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
iPhone and iPad Beta 4 App - Upgrade lists!

Airport upgrade lists are coming to the apps. Just downloaded the new beta on my phone, no flights in the next few days so can't report on the functionality, should be rolling out soon. Standby lists will toggle from this info.

How it works per the note I got from the tech team:

"Upgrade List – FINALLY

Here’s how it works:

4 hours before departure:
- iPhone – a banner will appear at the bottom of the flight card
- iPad – “View Upgrade List” appears under the flight time on the flight card

Also, a simple toggle allows you to view the standby list, if you’re on it for another flight for the same leg/segment.

That’s it, pretty simple."

Looking forward to seeing it in action.

Last edited by MarkedMan; Jun 27, 2013 at 8:48 pm Reason: Clarified standby functionality
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP CONKEY, HYATT GLOB, SPG PLAT
standby has always been there. Thank goodness for the upgrade list addition.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 8:50 pm

Is the beta open to anyone, or do they take volunteers?
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:16 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat (LT Gold), SPG Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by nall
Is the beta open to anyone, or do they take volunteers?
We were invited to join. From what mechanisms, I cannot say. It is not an open / public beta.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:35 am
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Now if AA could only get on it with a Blackberry app!
Old Jun 28, 2013, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Anyone on the android beta channel? Hoping this is present there too.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
Far as I can tell right now the upgrade capability is iOS only.

The Beta process is somewhat invasive - not one for you if you have significant privacy concerns. They stage the app on top of a comm platform that sends lots of info back to the developers about what the app is doing.

I can send in a few more emails to be added to the Beta list if you want to PM me; you only really get the BETA app two to four weeks before the update is made publicly available, sometimes it's even quicker, so this should be weighed against any privacy concerns you might have - not necessarily a big deal, in other words.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:07 pm

Do they also required your device's UDID? That usually limits them to ~100 users unless they have multiple developer accounts, but maybe this other platform is a workaround.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Quick question: if you want to see the upgrade or standby lists on the app, do you have to be actually LISTED on one of those lists for a given flight? Or is it enough just to be a passenger on that flight?

(Sometimes it is useful to be able to keep track of how the lists are looking even if they do not affect me directly. Such as: using the upgrade list to predict whether that empty premium cabin seat next to me will stay that way...)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.