Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi / AAdvantage Platinum Select card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi / AAdvantage Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Platinum Select Mastercard (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator Red MasterCard (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator Silver MasterCard (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator Business MasterCard (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi / AAdvantage MileUp℠ card
  • Citi / AAdvantage Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness / AAdvantage Select Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator Blue MasterCard (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator MasterCard (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2015, 9:57 am

Thanks!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

The AAdvantage number must be in your PNR in order to get the free checked bag.
And, the rules say it has to be there 7 days before the flight.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA, IHG PLM AMB
2 questions:

1. 2 paid pax(including primary cardholder with linked FFN) on 1 PNR and 2 Saver award pax on a different PNR, both PNR's linked/noted. A strict reading of the rules says only 2 free bags since award pax on different PNR from primary card holder. In practice have folks seen 4 bags free from a counter agent?

2. Different from 1st trip - 4 award pax on HNL(codeshare) booked with AA miles and have the primary card holder with FFN on the reservation. Again, strict reading of the rules indicates Codeshares on HNL metal would not receive free bags but report above indicates Alaska gave benefit. Any experience with free bags extended, or routine denials per the official terms?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 10:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by radryan
2 questions:

1. 2 paid pax(including primary cardholder with linked FFN) on 1 PNR and 2 Saver award pax on a different PNR, both PNR's linked/noted. A strict reading of the rules says only 2 free bags since award pax on different PNR from primary card holder. In practice have folks seen 4 bags free from a counter agent?

2. Different from 1st trip - 4 award pax on HNL(codeshare) booked with AA miles and have the primary card holder with FFN on the reservation. Again, strict reading of the rules indicates Codeshares on HNL metal would not receive free bags but report above indicates Alaska gave benefit. Any experience with free bags extended, or routine denials per the official terms?
1. No. PNRs are not separate due to operational reasons and the 1st checked bag charge will apply for the passengers on the award booking.

2. Is this an AA*/AS flight or an AS*/AA flight? If it's AA-marketed/AS-operated, I don't think you'd have any luck, but if it's AS-marketed/AA-operated, you will most likely get the 1st checked bag fee waived.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA, IHG PLM AMB
Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
2. Is this an AA*/AS flight or an AS*/AA flight? If it's AA-marketed/AS-operated, I don't think you'd have any luck, but if it's AS-marketed/AA-operated, you will most likely get the 1st checked bag fee waived.
I did a little more research looks like only if you are on Paid Ticket connecting from another AA it is codeshare flight AA*/HA, otherwise you can only book the HA leg as HA at AA website(not the AA*/HA) and when booking award travel it appears as HA no code share as well(just booked with AA award miles).

So looks like given the policy that none of the situations would qualify for free 1st bag on the Code Share or HA flights. I think that most likely when checking in flights that have AA legs first and then AA*/HA legs(provided your bags are checked all the way thru to your destination via single pnr/ticket and interline agreement) then you would get not be charged a 1st bag fee for just the AA*/HA leg.

Since my situation will not be the AA connection to Code share flight situation I am wondering if others that were checking in for HA flights that have these Code Share counterparts (AA*/HA) on paid or award tickets has experienced 1st bag free.

Last edited by radryan; Dec 24, 2015 at 3:11 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 25, 2015, 5:40 pm

Free bag for flight from US to Cancun?

Booked a flight using miles. Paid for the taxes with Citi card. I know I should not be eligible for free checked bag but I called and agent said I would. Called back and got same answer. Anyone have any experience getting 1st checked bag free flying to Mexico?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DebbieF
Booked a flight using miles. Paid for the taxes with Citi card. I know I should not be eligible for free checked bag but I called and agent said I would. Called back and got same answer. Anyone have any experience getting 1st checked bag free flying to Mexico?
I got my bags free flying from US to Canada.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:35 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by DebbieF
Originally Posted by doss1
I got my bags free flying from US to Canada.
If so, it might be due to American's weird daffynitions of what constitutes "domestic", i.e. for 500 mile upgrades, SDFC, etc.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:26 am

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select card's promised privileges not delivered

On a recent trip my husband and I tried for the first time to invoke the privileges that AA markets as part of its AADVANTAGE Platinum Select citi MasterCard (Group 1 boarding and first bag checked free). We were unable to board any flight with Group 1, and no bag was ever free to check. I've double checked AA's website to make sure those "privileges" are supposed to be included with our current card.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/e...ome&title=citi

We contacted AA Customer Support to resolve the issue, and received a boilerplate non-explanation. AA continues to market these cards relentlessly on their flights and in their terminal areas, but the promised benefits were not, in fact, available. Supposedly using one's card and primary cardholder's AADVANTAGE number invokes the benefits, but in our experience, it did not work.

And yes, I know it sounds entitled and petty to complain about things like boarding groups and bag fees. But the flights we were on were so crowded that people were battling for carry on space; being able to board a bit earlier would have made a big difference. It bothers me that AA is continuously hawking its charge cards, in part by promising benefits that aren't available in actual practice.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 9:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

It's not petty at all, as long as it's mentioned in the terms and conditions.

We're these AA domestic flights? Was the card in your record seven days or longer, your FFN in the record? These are probably the most common reasons people don't get their free bag or Group 1 boarding.

First checked bag free
For benefit to apply, the Citi / AAdvantage account must be open 7 days prior to air travel, and reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage number 7 days prior to air travel....

Eligible Citi / AAdvantage primary cardmembers may check one bag free of charge when traveling on domestic itineraries marketed and operated by American Airlines, or on itineraries marketed by American Airlines and operated as American Eagle flights by ...
...Eligible Citi / AAdvantage cardmembers will have Group 1 boarding on domestic flights marketed and operated by American Airlines , or on domestic flights marketed by American Airlines and operated as American Eagle flights by Compass Airlines, LLC, Envoy Air Inc., ExpressJet Airlines, Inc., Mesa Airlines, Inc., Republic Airline Inc., PSA Airlines, Inc., Piedmont Airlines, Inc., Air Wisconsin Airline Corp., SkyWest Airlines, Inc., or Trans States Airlines, LLC. The Group 1 boarding benefit on your Citi / AAdvantage card will display at the top of your American Airlines boarding pass as "Group 1."...

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 26, 2015 at 9:14 am
Old Dec 26, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Did you try speaking to an agent? If so, what did they say?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:13 pm

Thank you for your replies

Thanks for your replies. We have been card members for WAY more than 7 days. And, not only did we speak to a counter agent, we discussed the AA policy issue with a Supervisor at Charlotte Douglas International Airport (NC). We had his name and extension, and yet, STILL, the gate agent said our boarding group was not Group 1. AA has a HUGE Customer Relations problem here.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:16 pm

What was the destination?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

It's not petty at all, as long as it's mentioned in the terms and conditions.

We're these AA domestic flights? Was the card in your record seven days or longer, your FFN in the record? These are probably the most common reasons people don't get their free bag or Group 1 boarding.
Yes, these were absolutely domestic flights. (LAX-ReAgan Washington DC, Washington Reagan-Charlotte, NC, Charlotte-LAX).

We are longtime card members. I think these so-called privileges are a complete marketing hoax. Aargh.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by katcheng
Thanks for your replies. We have been card members for WAY more than 7 days. And, not only did we speak to a counter agent, we discussed the AA policy issue with a Supervisor at Charlotte Douglas International Airport (NC). We had his name and extension, and yet, STILL, the gate agent said our boarding group was not Group 1. AA has a HUGE Customer Relations problem here.
Were the other conditions met too?

Was the AA number associated with the Citi card in the booking
Was the AA number in the booking At least 7 days before departure
and
Was this a domestic journey

If so, I would suggest talking to Citi regarding the fees incurred

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.