Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Red MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Silver MasterCard® (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Business MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® MileUp℠ card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select® Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® Blue MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2015, 8:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Use the Royal Jordanian or Finnair website to change your frequent flier number from BA to AA. Access the reservation using your BA confirmation code. Once the reservation reflects your AAdvantage account number, you should be afforded all of the standard benefits that you would have normally received had you booked the award ticket with AA (with respect to baggage, seat assignments, etc.)

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:06 am

Thanks, FlyerBeek and sosfo.

I ended up calling AA, who couldn't change it, and they called BA on my behalf. After ~45mins on the phone and some missteps, BA eventually changed it, and as FlyerBeek said, I got all my AA benefits including baggage.

FYI to anyone else: though the AA site says that the AA frequent flyer must be in the itinerary 7 days in advance to get baggage benefits, I had it changed less than 24hrs in advance, and it worked fine. The airport kiosk correctly showed my free bags privilege.

FlyerBeek: very useful to know I could use the RJ/Finnair site to change the number, for the future. That could save a long phone call.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 8:56 am

AA Citi card free checked bag on international flights?

If I am headed abroad, will I be able to check a bag for free with my platinum if I am leaving from the US? I can guess I won't be allowed to check a bag for free once I return and leave from the foreign country.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: DL, Marriott
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
If I am headed abroad, will I be able to check a bag for free with my platinum if I am leaving from the US? I can guess I won't be allowed to check a bag for free once I return and leave from the foreign country.
This benefit is for domestic itineraries only.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by pritomd
This benefit is for domestic itineraries only.
AA does not charge for the first checked bag on transatlantic or transpacific flights, or flights between the U.S. and South America/Brazil.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:33 am

Does Turks and Caicos fall into that category?
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:37 am

When I flew to St in Sept there was no free checked bag, so I would doubt you will get one for Turks and Caicos.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 11:56 am

Google is your friend.

Turks and Caicos belong to AA's Caribbean Region Definition.

See also: Checked baggage policy
Old Nov 18, 2015, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Far abroad (across a whole ocean or to a completely different continent), AA checks at least one bag for free for everyone (whether they have an AA credit card or not, whether they have status or not).

But "very near" abroad, like most of the Caribbean, AA doesn't check a bag for free for everyone, and yet the Citi AA Plat card free checked bag benefit doesn't apply since it's "domestic" only.

See the "checked baggage policy" link in the post right above this one for AA's more detailed explanation.

And please note that "domestic" is not a word you should define yourself. AA includes the following in "domestic" as it applies to baggage policy:
  • Canada
  • Hawaii
  • Puerto Rico
  • United States
  • The U.S. Virgin Islands
(Please note: AA defines "domestic" differently for different things. The above list is only for baggage policy.)
Old Nov 19, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
No. The first checked bag to Turks and Caicos is $25 and the fee is not waived for credit card holders.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:39 am

Booking on AA card, free check Bag for AA card holder?

I bought a domestic AA ticket using Barclay card as I had some points to use, I do have AA citi master card which allows free check bag, Am i eligible even though reservation was not made using AA card? If so, do I just show the card to check in person to get checked bag fee waived?
Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"Am i eligible even though reservation was not made using AA card? If so, do I just show the card to check in person to get checked bag fee waived?"

1. Yes.

2. No.

As long as your AAdvantage number is in your reservation record, you should automatically receive a first checked bag at no charge. No need to show anything.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:57 am

Thanks for the reply, if I put Alaska FF No. as I have done, I wont get free bag? If thats the case, I will change back to AA number.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ziqch
Thanks for the reply, if I put Alaska FF No. as I have done, I wont get free bag? If thats the case, I will change back to AA number.
The AAdvantage number must be in your PNR in order to get the free checked bag.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by ziqch
Originally Posted by guv1976

The AAdvantage number must be in your PNR in order to get the free checked bag.
You should be able to change from back to Alaska after you have checked in and checked the bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.