Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Red MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Silver MasterCard® (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Business MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® MileUp℠ card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select® Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® Blue MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 7:24 pm

AA newbie here, also referred to this thread. I don't even have an "Aadvantage" frequent flyer # yet or it's accompanying credit card. I saw some 2015 articles that Barclays had a low level credit card that had no annual fee but still gave you AA miles for regular day to day spending. is that still the case? And are there any newbie bonuses I could capitalize on by signing up? I'm a small time traveler mostly jumping around the Western USA.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:42 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by deadmoneywalking
AA newbie here, also referred to this thread. I don't even have an "Aadvantage" frequent flyer # yet or it's accompanying credit card. I saw some 2015 articles that Barclays had a low level credit card that had no annual fee but still gave you AA miles for regular day to day spending. is that still the case? And are there any newbie bonuses I could capitalize on by signing up? I'm a small time traveler mostly jumping around the Western USA.
Aviator Red has a $95 AF and 50k mile offer.
As far as I can tell, other variants of the Aviator (including the no AF card) are now defunct.
AAdvantage Gold has a $50 AF and 25k mile offer.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: spirit elite, MRgold Hilton Gold
Looking for a data point. I know that the t&c state domestic flights, but i'm going to curacao here in about a month. I wanted to know what actual experiences with Checked bags going to the Carribean. For certain items, lounge access and upgrades the carribean tends to follow a different set of rules than that of other intl destinations.
thanks
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Southwest RR, United MileagePlus
Barclay card 60k bonus. 95AF, 1st checked bag free

AAdvantage Avaitor Red World Elite Mastercard/Barclaycard You get 60k AA miles and a free domestic checked bag. No minimum Spend-Just pay the $95 AF and make a purchase within 90 days. Great deal-limited time offer
Old Oct 9, 2017, 1:08 pm

I will be flying in a few days, the second time since I've had free checked bags with the Aadvantage Platinum Select. The first time, I checked in at the kiosk but it did not recognize that I was eligible for a free checked bag, so I was routed over to a rather long line at the check-in counter. Wondering if the kiosks normally allow you to check your bags through without having to pay if you are eligible for a free bag? I'd love to be able to hit up the kiosk without having to go to the counter. Anyone with experience care to share?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by jsepulveda07
I will be flying in a few days, the second time since I've had free checked bags with the Aadvantage Platinum Select. The first time, I checked in at the kiosk but it did not recognize that I was eligible for a free checked bag, so I was routed over to a rather long line at the check-in counter. Wondering if the kiosks normally allow you to check your bags through without having to pay if you are eligible for a free bag? I'd love to be able to hit up the kiosk without having to go to the counter. Anyone with experience care to share?
Kiosk will work fine if your AA account has you tagged as a cardmember. Does it say that when you log in?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by beltway
Kiosk will work fine if your AA account has you tagged as a cardmember. Does it say that when you log in?
Yes, it does. Guess I'll give it another shot! Thanks.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:44 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Yesterday I flew PWM-CLT-IAH and when I went to check my bag at the kiosk it made me pay the $25 fee despite having the Citi Platinum and "Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmember" is listed on my account and has been there for at least 7 days. I was approved back on Oct. 4 however I still have not physically received the card or activated it yet. I just paid the fee with my CSR as we were running late and didn't have any time to question it. I did of course keep my receipt.

Just want to make sure that I should have been eligible for a free bag benefit even though I still have not activated the card? Mostly wanted to double check that point.

Also, I assume I should pursue a credit/refund directly from AA?
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:23 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
A quick letter to Customer Relations should result in reimbursement of that fee. (Leave out the part about how you have not yet activated the card, but do include the part about how "cardmember" is listed on your account.) I'd start by contacting them through AA.com. They might not even require a receipt.
Originally Posted by alggag
Yesterday I flew PWM-CLT-IAH and when I went to check my bag at the kiosk it made me pay the $25 fee despite having the Citi Platinum and "Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmember" is listed on my account and has been there for at least 7 days. I was approved back on Oct. 4 however I still have not physically received the card or activated it yet. I just paid the fee with my CSR as we were running late and didn't have any time to question it. I did of course keep my receipt.

Just want to make sure that I should have been eligible for a free bag benefit even though I still have not activated the card? Mostly wanted to double check that point.

Also, I assume I should pursue a credit/refund directly from AA?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
AA Citi Executive Card Free Bag

I purchased tickets 5 days ago for a flight to LAS. Do I get a free bag with Citi AA Executive Card or did I have to purchase the ticket 7 days in advance?

Also the ticket was purchased through a third party (priceline) and the ticket does have my aadvantage number attached to it.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:52 am
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

I haven't looked in 2 months (when a relative got the card) but you just need to have the card account open for 7 days. Not purchase the tickets 7 days in advance.

Also, doesn't matter where you buy the tickets, so long as they're in your name/AA number.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
No question just a rant... Have had this card for a few years now and today was the first day my wife used it without me. When she checked in she got group 6 (not 5). I thought 5 was CC but not sure since I never board with the CC group (I since confirmed it is). When she went to check her bag they charged her the $25 which I again thought was strange. Agent told her I had to be travelling (which I since confirmed in the Wiki). Man what a drag, you'd think for $450 a year she'd be able to use the benefits. Oh well nothing we can do but I'm supposed to know all this!
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Barclaycard 4Q2017 spend deal

Barclaycard had a deal announced in the 3rd quarter 2017.The deal was that if you spend $x in October and/or November and/or December, you would get 1000 extra miles for each month.I did not save the specific details but I know I met the spend in at least two of those months.Has anyone received the promised miles yet? I have not.Maybe it will take more time…
Old Feb 7, 2018, 7:33 pm

Me again. I wanted to ask if anyone had a hot take on Citi vs Barclays for my 1st time AAdvantage card appllcation. I'm a small time flyer about 5 times a year around the West Coast cities and really just would like the occasional free ticket or waived baggage fee. I do own a small business of around $3k in sales volume so I could apply for the business card. There's a piece of furniture I'd like to buy soon and feel that I am getting some benefit. Thx in advance.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Me again. I wanted to ask if anyone had a hot take on Citi vs Barclays for my 1st time AAdvantage card appllcation. I'm a small time flyer about 5 times a year around the West Coast cities and really just would like the occasional free ticket or waived baggage fee. I do own a small business of around $3k in sales volume so I could apply for the business card. There's a piece of furniture I'd like to buy soon and feel that I am getting some benefit. Thx in advance.
My hot take re: the personal cards: Why pay a first-year annual fee with Barclays, when it's waived for the first year with Citi? Yes, you will have to charge more with Citi than with Barclays to earn the bonus miles, but it sounds like that's not an issue for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.