Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 6, 2014, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
AA Credit Card Domestic Baggage Benefit
All Citi AAdvantage and Barclaycard Aviator cards

Summary

If you have an American Airlines co-branded credit card (including the ones they currently advertise in the airport and onboard the aircraft) you will receive a waiver of your first checked bag fee on domestic (US and Canada) flights for a standard size/weight bag. The following general conditions apply:
  • Your flight must be marketed and operated by American Airlines.
  • The primary cardholder must be a passenger on the reservation, and the primary cardholder's AAdvantage number must be in the reservation at least seven days prior to flight.
  • If the account is closed, the benefit will no longer apply.

Which Credit Cards Does This Work For?

The following US credit cards include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® card (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive card (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® Mastercard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Red MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Silver MasterCard® (+ 8 companions on the same reservation)
  • Aviator® Business MasterCard® (+ 4 companions on the same reservation)
The following credit cards DO NOT include a waiver of the first bag fee:
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® MileUp℠ card
  • Citi® / AAdvantage® Gold Card (not open to new applicants)
  • CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Select® Card (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® Blue MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)
  • Aviator® MasterCard® (not open to new applicants)

Frequently Asked Questions

They wouldn't allow me to check my bag for free on my domestic reservation. Why could they do that?
The most common reason a free bag is denied is the requirement the account must be open 7 days prior to air travel AND, the reservation must include the primary cardmember's American Airlines AAdvantage® number 7 days prior to air travel

Can I combine this with another reason that I get free bags to get 2 or more free bags?
No. If you have Gold status, you will still only get one bag for free (though it will include international itineraries).

Do I need to pay with my credit card to get this benefit?
No. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, so you can pay in any way(another credit card, employer, online travel agency, etc.).

If my companions are on another PNR, can they use this benefit?
No. The other (up to four or eight) travelers and you must be on the same reservation.

Will this work on any reservation with AA?
The reservation must be entirely domestic (US & Canada).

If I'm connecting to an international (non-Canada) flight, can I use this benefit?
No.

If I'm connecting to another airline, can I use this benefit?
No.
Print Wikipost

Citi & Barclaycard AA Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage / Luggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2016, 9:48 pm

I have to say....I love all my City AAdvantage cards!
Old Feb 9, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Perdita
Sorry to quote an older post (late Dec.), but I have almost the same situation and was wondering if you could help me understand why it wouldn't be an operational reason to separate the PNRs when the paid tickets have to be purchased 'separate' from the award tickets?

Any insight will be greatly appreciated!
AA considers that to be voluntary since the passengers are on separate PNRs because you chose to use separate forms of payment (miles and cash) for the two PNRs.

An operational reason would be if AA had to divide the PNR for some reason. Usually it happens when rebooking due to IROPS. In that case the division was involuntary and the Citi bag benefit would be honored.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by ty97
As long as your Citi AAdvantage card account was opened at least 7 days prior to travel and your AAdvantage number was in the reservation at least 7 days prior to travel, then you will get the free first bag benefit. You do not need to pay for the ticket, the seat, or anything else with the card in order to receive this benefit.

ETA: It must be a domestic flight as well.
So I can't use this benefit with my newly acquired Citi AA card because my upcoming domestic award flight, booked with BA avios doesn't let me switch my frequent flyer no. to AA. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to let this one go after completing my $3000 spend requirement to get the 50,000 Advantage miles bonus.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by knit-in
Originally Posted by ty97
As long as your Citi AAdvantage card account was opened at least 7 days prior to travel and your AAdvantage number was in the reservation at least 7 days prior to travel, then you will get the free first bag benefit. You do not need to pay for the ticket, the seat, or anything else with the card in order to receive this benefit.

ETA: It must be a domestic flight as well.
So I can't use this benefit with my newly acquired Citi AA card because my upcoming domestic award flight, booked with BA avios doesn't let me switch my frequent flyer no. to AA. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to let this one go after completing my $3000 spend requirement to get the 50,000 Advantage miles bonus.
You can replace your BAEC number with your AAdvantage on your Avios reward booking; you just can't do it at ba.com. Go to finnair.com, and click on the "Manage My Booking" tab: you should then be able to switch your FFN on the reservation, and thereafter get your free checked bag.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

You can replace your BAEC number with your AAdvantage on your Avios reward booking; you just can't do it at ba.com. Go to finnair.com, and click on the "Manage My Booking" tab: you should then be able to switch your FFN on the reservation, and thereafter get your free checked bag.
Thanks for that tip. Unfortunately, the Finnair site says that "there is an error managing reservations that include flights operated by American Airlines..."

Thanks, though. Good to remember for the future.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by knit-in

Thanks for that tip. Unfortunately, the Finnair site says that "there is an error managing reservations that include flights operated by American Airlines..."

Thanks, though. Good to remember for the future.
The Finnair site occasionally has issues. Try again in a day or two, and be sure that you are entering your BA PNR (or ticket number), and not your AA PNR.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 5:41 pm

The Finnair site occasionally has issues. Try again in a day or two, and be sure that you are entering your BA PNR (or ticket number), and not your AA PNR.
I tried them both, thanks. I'll try again later.

Ordinarily, my BA Bronze status allows me one free check bag on domestic AA flights, and it reflects in my booking online. This time it says that my fare is "carry-on only" or something like that (not in front of me at this time.).

Last edited by knit-in; Feb 11, 2016 at 5:50 pm
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: UA - seesaws between no status and Silver; HH Diamond
Citi AAdvantage Cardholders - Free Baggage?

I am pretty new to using AA, since I live near a United hub. But now I have some AA flights and I got the Citi AAdvantage card which has the benefit of priority boarding and one free checked bag. Here's my question: When I purchased my ticket online, using this card, there was no way to differentiate this specific MasterCard. On UA, they have both Visa and MP Explorer Visa as options - I assume so they know who gets the benefits of using that card. With the AA card, do they just "know"? I'm asking now so to prevent any issues at the airport and fighting with them over paying for a checked bag. Thanks!
Old Feb 22, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's not necessary to pay for your AA flight with your Citi/AA card in order to get the free checked bag. When you get the card, your AAdvantage account gets coded to show that you get athe first checked bag free (on "domestic" flights only). Just make sure that your AAdvantage number is in your reservation record.

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 22, 2016 at 9:42 am
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:36 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
To determine everything is synched in this regard, you can sign into your AAdvantage account. Below your name and membership tier will be the notation "Citi® / AAdvantage® cardmember".
Old Feb 22, 2016, 10:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by myburg
I am pretty new to using AA, since I live near a United hub. But now I have some AA flights and I got the Citi AAdvantage card which has the benefit of priority boarding and one free checked bag. Here's my question: When I purchased my ticket online, using this card, there was no way to differentiate this specific MasterCard. On UA, they have both Visa and MP Explorer Visa as options - I assume so they know who gets the benefits of using that card. With the AA card, do they just "know"? I'm asking now so to prevent any issues at the airport and fighting with them over paying for a checked bag. Thanks!
As there's an extant thread discussing the credit card baggage benefit, I'll go ahead and merge this in.

~Moderator
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:16 pm

Citi AAdvantage Platinum Card Free Checked Bag

Hi I recently opened an Citi AAdvantage Platinum Card for the free checked bags on my next trip. My trip is connected to my AA number that my card is. My trip is on April 1st and I did not use the Citi card to make the purchase of the airline tickets. Will I still receive the free checked bag even though I did not use the Citi card to purchase the tickets?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:19 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Yes. The benefit is tied to your AAdvantage number, not the form of payment.

However if your AAdvantage number was added to the reservation before you were approved for the card, it will need to be removed and re-added for the benefits to work automatically.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
You do not have to use the credit card to buy the trip in order to get the benefit.

You just have to have the card. Have your AA number in your reservation more than 7 days before the flight. And it be solely a domestic flight. For a flight on April 1st, you should be fine.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 8:28 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by debruyne96
Hi I recently opened an Citi AAdvantage Platinum Card for the free checked bags on my next trip. My trip is connected to my AA number that my card is. My trip is on April 1st and I did not use the Citi card to make the purchase of the airline tickets. Will I still receive the free checked bag even though I did not use the Citi card to purchase the tickets?
Hi, and welcome to FlyerTalk.

Your query has been merged into the existing thread; the wikipost at the top of the page has fairly complete information about the free checked domestic bag.

The forum is quite busy and we try to contain information fragmentation, so members can easily find more comprehensive information and relevant discussion.

You'll learn more as you explore; a good place to begin is by perusing the "sticky" "WELCOME... GUIDE" thread.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.