Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAnytime Awards (restricted to AA marketed and operated flights)

NOTE: There will likely be further changes. See Dynamic Award Pricing to be Expanded - AA announces 30 May 2019 link

Link to American Airlines award chart

Link to one world and other airline partner award chart

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, discussion thread.

AAnytime awards

With no blackout dates, you can use AAnytime awards for any seat on an American Airlines or American Eagle® flight for as low as 20,000 miles each way, plus any applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

AAnytime award levels vary by date (including time of day) and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards, there is a hidden level 3 based on aspirational value and premium product and even some hidden level 4 award space released on Flagship transcontinental flights). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable available award level.
See this post (post #122) for more on the Level 3 increases introduced August 2016.

Link to The Points Guy article on the hidden Level 3.

If a seat is available for sale on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight, you can acquire it as an AAnytime award seat. AAnytime awards require more miles than the restricted MileSAver awards (for AA and required for partners); there are three tiers for the miles required for AAnytime awards seats; it can "cost" even more miles during high demand periods or on certain aspirational flights.

What you need to know
  • AAnytime awards are only offered on AA marketed and operated flights
    • Miles shown are for one-way travel
      • Book a one-way trip or combine awards for round-trip or multi-city travel
        • AAnytime awards mean as long as there is a seat available for sale, an AAnytime award can take it (but miles cost can be very high)
          • Each award is subject to taxes and carrier-imposed fees starting from $5.60 per person, per award. These taxes and fees vary by itinerary and are based on trip origin and destination. The exact amount of taxes and carrier-imposed fees that will apply will appear when searching for a particular itinerary.
            • For flights offering only two classes of service, the Economy and Business / First Class awards apply. For flights offering three classes of service Economy, Business / First and First Class awards apply.
              • NOTE: AAnytime miles "cost" can vary in accord with flight demand, even on the same day

Awards cost $150 to redeposit ($25 for multiple / other travelers' awards taken from the same account); the fee is waived for awards taken from and returned to the account of an Executive Platinum member, when one wishes to pay more miles for a higher class of service or when significant flight or schedule disruption occurs).

Fees for redepositing a MileSAAver award are generally waived if they are "upgraded" to an AAnytime award. “Downgrading” from AAnytime to !ileSAAver requires redeposited and a new award ticket issue.

AAnytime awards do not earn miles, but are more flexible than MileSAAver awards, allowing easier changes and more perquisites (baggage, Same Day Flight Change, Main Cabin Extra and premium seat selection, two courtesy bags to 23 kg / 50 lbs, etc.)

Print Wikipost

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:57 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by teammjs
Just curious if whatever rate AA sets the AAnytime level at ever goes up (or even down) once they're released.

Obviously the MileSAAver availability can be volatile and flights available for this redemption level can change over time.

But if say the AAnytime level I'm seeing to today is 20k, is there any risk in it going above that rate? If not, then obviously there is no advantage in booking these early (assuming both the flight and Main Cabin Extra still appear plenty, and not within X day fee windows for booking close to flight date) when you could gamble some seats may get moved over to a MileSAAver rate, correct?
Did anyone every find the answer to this question? I am planning to book a trip to Europe during peak season that is on one of the rare 45K AAnytime days. The only sAAver available is 30K on a terrible connection. I don't have any problem paying the 45K (in this case it's a good deal to get my preferred flight), but obviously, I would prefer to wait and see if 30K sAAver or 50K biz sAAver comes open on my preferred flight before March 26. The usual advice would be to wait to book AAnytime, but is it possible the 45K AAnytime could become a 65K AAnytime (or worse)? I have it on hold now..
Old Dec 23, 2015, 8:47 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Did anyone every find the answer to this question? I am planning to book a trip to Europe during peak season that is on one of the rare 45K AAnytime days. The only sAAver available is 30K on a terrible connection. I don't have any problem paying the 45K (in this case it's a good deal to get my preferred flight), but obviously, I would prefer to wait and see if 30K sAAver or 50K biz sAAver comes open on my preferred flight before March 26. The usual advice would be to wait to book AAnytime, but is it possible the 45K AAnytime could become a 65K AAnytime (or worse)? I have it on hold now..
I believe I have heard that the rates are set based on the date and do not adjust up or down based on demand, but I have not looked into this on my own.

Greg
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:36 pm

Anytime award change; post March 22

Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but I've read the AA site and they seem to be short on details, I've I haven't used an AA award for about 20 years.
If I book an Economy Anytime ticket from say Tokyo to SFO for 80K miles, and switch to a different date for the same route that is only 62.5K miles, will they refund the 17.5K miles with no change fee? Or alternatively charge me the extra 17.5K miles if the new day costs more?
Alternatively can I really change airports and 'pay' only the mileage difference? Is it possible to do this up to the day before assuming there is still a seat available?

Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Keep in mind that an AAnytime award can be booked as long as AA is offering seats for sale in the cabin you want. (That's different than whether there are open seats, because some seats are not assigned in advance.) Now, early booking can give you early seat selection, but if you're not sure of what flight you need and there's still many many many months to go, there's no huge reason in most cases to book an AAnytime award very early.
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by chuzzlewit
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere, but I've read the AA site and they seem to be short on details, I've I haven't used an AA award for about 20 years.
If I book an Economy Anytime ticket from say Tokyo to SFO for 80K miles, and switch to a different date for the same route that is only 62.5K miles, will they refund the 17.5K miles with no change fee? Or alternatively charge me the extra 17.5K miles if the new day costs more?
Alternatively can I really change airports and 'pay' only the mileage difference? Is it possible to do this up to the day before assuming there is still a seat available?
As this question isn't really relevant to the changes on 22 March, I'm going to shift it into the extant master thread discussing AAnytime awards.

~Moderator
Old Mar 30, 2016, 10:01 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
If I were booked on an ANYTIME BC award jfk-lhr (on AA metal, so no fuel surcharge) and the flight was cancelled (say 15 days before dep. date). If I got rebooked on a BA (metal) flt. would I now be subject to the fuel surcharge?
Same question, but substitute SAVER for ANYTIME?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nrr
If I were booked on an ANYTIME BC award jfk-lhr (on AA metal, so no fuel surcharge) and the flight was cancelled (say 15 days before dep. date). If I got rebooked on a BA (metal) flt. would I now be subject to the fuel surcharge?
Same question, but substitute SAVER for ANYTIME?
If AA itself rebooks you at the last minute, certainly not, not even on saver.

Meanwhile, AAnytime is not valid on partners, only on AA metal. So it would think it would have to be AA rebooking you in the case of AAnytime to end up on BA. (I don't know what would happen if it were SAAver and you picked the alternate flight yourself. Ie, sometimes when a flight is cancelled AA rebooks you first, and sometimes people call to get rebooked before AA does it, but the latter may not be possible to do on a partner airline if the award was AAnytime.)
Old Apr 3, 2016, 5:23 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sdsearch
If AA itself rebooks you at the last minute, certainly not, not even on saver.

Meanwhile, AAnytime is not valid on partners, only on AA metal. So it would think it would have to be AA rebooking you in the case of AAnytime to end up on BA. (I don't know what would happen if it were SAAver and you picked the alternate flight yourself. Ie, sometimes when a flight is cancelled AA rebooks you first, and sometimes people call to get rebooked before AA does it, but the latter may not be possible to do on a partner airline if the award was AAnytime.)
Last Thanksgiving, AA canceled lots (ALL(?))of their (own=AA metal) flights from JFK to Europe (Tues., Wed., Thurs., Fri.) [cancellations were made about 2 months out). I was on a saver award in BC, JFK-ZRH; I wound up initially on JFK-MAD-ZRH and ultimately flew JFK-DUS-ZRH, but getting award availability took lots of searching. BA had lots of availability with a FUEL SURCHARGE. This is old "stuff", but should AA have proactively helped those pax (and ME)?
Old May 3, 2016, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by GregL
I believe I have heard that the rates are set based on the date and do not adjust up or down based on demand, but I have not looked into this on my own.

Greg
I'm booking a domestic aanytime ticket now, and seeing 4 different levels for different (holiday) dates. Because my dates are flexible but I have a limited number of miles to play with, I'm just bumping the question about whether experience shows the dates are fixed to their "level" or not. Obviously, AA's website won't tell you there are more than 2 levels. Thanks so much!
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:20 pm

Anytime AAwards

Since so much of AA award availability (particularly on International sectors) are Antime AAwards nowadays, I wonder how many people actually book this unless they are in a real bind?
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'd suggest taking a look at the master thread on this topic, here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
Old Jun 26, 2016, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by carpediem22
Since so much of AA award availability (particularly on International sectors) are Antime AAwards nowadays, I wonder how many people actually book this unless they are in a real bind?
Here's a colloquial comparison: one way US to Europe in biz class using AA miles:

BA ... 57500 miles plus pay the BA profit surcharge

AA AAnytime ... 110k miles, no surcharge

On BA, you can continue on to continental Europe (Germany, France, Italy etc) for the same 57500

Using AA AAnytime, since AAnytime does not exist in BA, the trip terminates at Heathrow. If going on to Europe, you would have to claim a separate award or buy or take Eurostar, etc.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jun 26, 2016 at 2:11 pm
Old Jun 26, 2016, 2:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by carpediem22
AA calls them AAnytime Awards. We have merged your query into the existing master thread. /Moderator
Old Jun 26, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
The display of AAnytime availability seems a bit broken after the deval, possibly due to AA now charging more for certain awards on domestic 3 class planes. Eg for SFO to ZRH via JFK (or vice versa) it now often excludes certain options via JFK or only offers econ on the TATL flight for an AAnytime 1st award.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 12:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

What's the highest AAnytime award you've seen for economy?

This is a first --- PHX-ORD one-way on Nov 27 is 75k/person.

They should rename these as AAnymileage awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.