Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAnytime Awards (restricted to AA marketed and operated flights)

NOTE: There will likely be further changes. See Dynamic Award Pricing to be Expanded - AA announces 30 May 2019 link

Link to American Airlines award chart

Link to one world and other airline partner award chart

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, discussion thread.

AAnytime awards

With no blackout dates, you can use AAnytime awards for any seat on an American Airlines or American Eagle® flight for as low as 20,000 miles each way, plus any applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

AAnytime award levels vary by date (including time of day) and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards, there is a hidden level 3 based on aspirational value and premium product and even some hidden level 4 award space released on Flagship transcontinental flights). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable available award level.
See this post (post #122) for more on the Level 3 increases introduced August 2016.

Link to The Points Guy article on the hidden Level 3.

If a seat is available for sale on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight, you can acquire it as an AAnytime award seat. AAnytime awards require more miles than the restricted MileSAver awards (for AA and required for partners); there are three tiers for the miles required for AAnytime awards seats; it can "cost" even more miles during high demand periods or on certain aspirational flights.

What you need to know
  • AAnytime awards are only offered on AA marketed and operated flights
    • Miles shown are for one-way travel
      • Book a one-way trip or combine awards for round-trip or multi-city travel
        • AAnytime awards mean as long as there is a seat available for sale, an AAnytime award can take it (but miles cost can be very high)
          • Each award is subject to taxes and carrier-imposed fees starting from $5.60 per person, per award. These taxes and fees vary by itinerary and are based on trip origin and destination. The exact amount of taxes and carrier-imposed fees that will apply will appear when searching for a particular itinerary.
            • For flights offering only two classes of service, the Economy and Business / First Class awards apply. For flights offering three classes of service Economy, Business / First and First Class awards apply.
              • NOTE: AAnytime miles "cost" can vary in accord with flight demand, even on the same day

Awards cost $150 to redeposit ($25 for multiple / other travelers' awards taken from the same account); the fee is waived for awards taken from and returned to the account of an Executive Platinum member, when one wishes to pay more miles for a higher class of service or when significant flight or schedule disruption occurs).

Fees for redepositing a MileSAAver award are generally waived if they are "upgraded" to an AAnytime award. “Downgrading” from AAnytime to !ileSAAver requires redeposited and a new award ticket issue.

AAnytime awards do not earn miles, but are more flexible than MileSAAver awards, allowing easier changes and more perquisites (baggage, Same Day Flight Change, Main Cabin Extra and premium seat selection, two courtesy bags to 23 kg / 50 lbs, etc.)

Print Wikipost

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by unhappyflyer
Extreme demand can be defined
as roughly all mainly leisure destinations during all traditional family/school break periods.
not really. it could be defined as roughly coordinated with what US was using as blackout dates, plus or minus a few. no one should be surprised to see (for continental US) the weekend before christmas, the days just after new year's, the sunday and monday after thanksgiving. but for that same market there are zero such days in February, quite a popular month for school breaks.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 9:36 am

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by martin33
not really. it could be defined as roughly coordinated with what US was using as blackout dates, plus or minus a few. no one should be surprised to see (for continental US) the weekend before christmas, the days just after new year's, the sunday and monday after thanksgiving. but for that same market there are zero such days in February, quite a popular month for school breaks.
Exactly... the dates I ran into it were right around ComicCon for SAN flights. Not ideal, but not entirely surprising either. Some people will never be happy, nor it seems will they ever actually research before posting.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM/UA MM/Marriott PLT Premier-LT PLT
Originally Posted by martin33
Extreme demand can be defined
as roughly all mainly leisure destinations during all traditional family/school break periods.
Where do you live and what schools take major breaks in Feb. Here in Illinois you get one 3 day weekend in Feb.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:13 am

Where do you live and what schools take major breaks in Feb. Here in Illinois you get one 3 day weekend in Feb.
It's always a pleasure to expand one's horizons. In New York and across New England it is quite common to have school system break weeks in both February and April.

But really, who has so many miles that they are getting their family vacation tickets on AAnytime awards, at any level? The point remains that the "extreme demand" Level 3 days are (thus far, anyway) perhaps 5 percent of total days when demand is obviously extreme, not anytime-anyone-might-have-a-break. Looking at the calendar, the patterns are pretty understandable--- busier months tend to mostly level 2, leaner months mostly level 1.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 8:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
NY schools take a week off in February - this historically coincided with market-specific blackout dates for BUF, ROC, SYR, and ALB on US, not sure about the downstate airports.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Change AAnytime award date to cheaper/more expensive date

1 Fee question and 1 award pricing question and 1 24 hr cancel question

I really tried to search but unsuccessful:

Be gentle!

If I book US-Caribbean one way AAnytime award for 37.5k, and I want to change the date

No elite status

If I go to a date that's 27.5k is there a fee?
If I go to a date that's 37.5k is there a fee?
If I go to a date that's 65k is there a fee?

Also,

why do flights that start on a day that's 37.5k that include a segment the next day price at 37.5k, but that same segment if booked alone on the next day cost 65k?

I'm used to searching leg by leg on DL.

Lastly,

Can I still hold for 24h, or if I purchase can I cxl without penalty in 24h and have miles reinstated.

Also, am I reading it correctly that my Citi Exec card is only a domestic free bag?! So Caribbean would be $25??
Old Oct 6, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
1 Fee question and 1 award pricing question and 1 24 hr cancel question

I really tried to search but unsuccessful:

Be gentle!

If I book US-Caribbean one way AAnytime award for 37.5k, and I want to change the date

No elite status

If I go to a date that's 27.5k is there a fee?
If I go to a date that's 37.5k is there a fee?
If I go to a date that's 65k is there a fee?

Also,

why do flights that start on a day that's 37.5k that include a segment the next day price at 37.5k, but that same segment if booked alone on the next day cost 65k?

I'm used to searching leg by leg on DL.

Lastly,

Can I still hold for 24h, or if I purchase can I cxl without penalty in 24h and have miles reinstated.

Also, am I reading it correctly that my Citi Exec card is only a domestic free bag?! So Caribbean would be $25??
Typically there is no charge/fee for an upfare.

No answer to your question about why next day is avail at lower fare but not if connecting on same day. Revenue mgmt must feel they can sell the seat.

As far as I know, you cannot cancel award tickets within 24 hours. You can hold them, but once purchased you are subject to the re-deposit fee if you want your miles back.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by mikelat
Typically there is no charge/fee for an upfare.
I regret to say you appear to be incorrect on this point.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...servations.jsp says

Changes to origin/destination

A $150 USD charge or additional miles will apply for a change to an eligible origin or destination on a MileSAAver or AAnytime award, (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account).

Changes that require different award type -

Changes to the itinerary which involve different AAdvantage award(s) than originally ticketed require a reinstatement of the original award ticket, payment of the applicable award reinstatement charge (see below), and a new award ticket issued (waived for AAdvantage Executive Platinum members using miles from their account).
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flatlander
I regret to say you appear to be incorrect on this point.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...servations.jsp says
Yes, but I think the OP is talking about the new variations in how much AAnyTIme costs from one travel date to another, and is talking about changing AAnyTime to AAnytime (that's not upfaring, is it?) and keeping origin/destination the same and only changing travel dates, but yet because of travel date changes the number of miles required changes.

This is a new situation, but it seems to have an old analog: What if you booked a US->Europe coach award at peak SAAver levels, and wanted to change to a non-peak SAAver date, and there was SAAver availability, and your origin/destination was not changing, and it was more than 21 days before departure? Would they credit you the difference in miles but not charge you any fee? And vice versa (peak to non-peak date change), would they just charge you the difference in miles but not charge you any fee?

(And that site you linked doesn't seem to explain either situation at all.)
Old Oct 8, 2014, 2:25 pm

I recently went through something similar on my LAX-LHR booking. Originally booked on a date for an aanytime award for 135k, but dates switched and the new date was only 110k. I was given the option of either just changing the date and no fee, so the cost stays 135k as the original, or cancel/rebook at 110k and be charged the 150 fee. I took the charge.

However, they bungled things up pretty badly (points didn't get refunded despite several calls until I found someone who knew what they were doing), and thankfully the last rep I got was on her game and got her supervisor to waive the fee for all my troubles. I didn't even have to ask.

Hope that helps!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: WN CP, AA Gold MM, SPG Gold, UA, DL
AAnytime Award SFO-STX

Hi all-

I'm trying to book an economy or business AAnytime award from SFO-STX. My preferred routing is SFO-MIA + MIA-STX. I see availability in AAnytime on aa.com for SFO-MIA and for MIA-STX (AA272, AA1293). But I can't manage to get aa.com to show this routing.

How do I get this to show? I'm used to the tricks to get DL to price awards, but I've never had this issue with AA. Do I need to have help from a CSR?

Thanks.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:06 am

You will have to call. I've had that happen once before. A quick call and they had the award all set and ticketed.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
At the moment, the AA site seems to have a glitch displaying all available AAnytime routings (especially more direct ones). There are a couple of options: 'put something on hold and call web services to straighten things out, or better they might be able to reserve the flights you want and allow you to then confirm the booking and pay the taxes and fees online.

As long as seats are available, you should be able to book an AAnytime award, well, anytime.

You could call reservations, but they might insist on the $25 phone fee.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:00 pm

Programs: WN CP, AA Gold MM, SPG Gold, UA, DL
Thanks everyone.

Would it make sense for me to book the flights as a multi-city flight, then call AA and ask them to credit back the extra miles? Is that going to be an easier way to save the phone booking fee?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Question No AAnytime availability CLT-HHH?

I'm a very infrequent redeemer of AA miles. I'm looking for award space for 3 people BDL-CLT-HHH next May. I can see that Saver Award space is scarce, but when looking into each leg seperately I notice that there is no AAnytime availability showing between CLT-HHH. Is that right? I thought that the point of AAnytime was that you could get it on any given date?

I have plenty of AA miles so don't mind paying the higher rate rather than cash, especially if it means getting the dates and times that I prefer.

I had also considered flying BDL-CLT and then driving the rest of the way. For that short flight though I'd baulk a bit at paying even Saver prices. I have BA Avios too which I'd rather use for this scenario (need fewer), but availability doesn't show on ba.com even when I can see Saver availability on aa.com.

I'm getting quite confused and would be grateful for any words of help.

Thanks in advance. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.