Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAnytime Awards (restricted to AA marketed and operated flights)

NOTE: There will likely be further changes. See Dynamic Award Pricing to be Expanded - AA announces 30 May 2019 link

Link to American Airlines award chart

Link to one world and other airline partner award chart

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, discussion thread.

AAnytime awards

With no blackout dates, you can use AAnytime awards for any seat on an American Airlines or American Eagle® flight for as low as 20,000 miles each way, plus any applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

AAnytime award levels vary by date (including time of day) and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards, there is a hidden level 3 based on aspirational value and premium product and even some hidden level 4 award space released on Flagship transcontinental flights). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable available award level.
See this post (post #122) for more on the Level 3 increases introduced August 2016.

Link to The Points Guy article on the hidden Level 3.

If a seat is available for sale on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight, you can acquire it as an AAnytime award seat. AAnytime awards require more miles than the restricted MileSAver awards (for AA and required for partners); there are three tiers for the miles required for AAnytime awards seats; it can "cost" even more miles during high demand periods or on certain aspirational flights.

What you need to know
  • AAnytime awards are only offered on AA marketed and operated flights
    • Miles shown are for one-way travel
      • Book a one-way trip or combine awards for round-trip or multi-city travel
        • AAnytime awards mean as long as there is a seat available for sale, an AAnytime award can take it (but miles cost can be very high)
          • Each award is subject to taxes and carrier-imposed fees starting from $5.60 per person, per award. These taxes and fees vary by itinerary and are based on trip origin and destination. The exact amount of taxes and carrier-imposed fees that will apply will appear when searching for a particular itinerary.
            • For flights offering only two classes of service, the Economy and Business / First Class awards apply. For flights offering three classes of service Economy, Business / First and First Class awards apply.
              • NOTE: AAnytime miles "cost" can vary in accord with flight demand, even on the same day

Awards cost $150 to redeposit ($25 for multiple / other travelers' awards taken from the same account); the fee is waived for awards taken from and returned to the account of an Executive Platinum member, when one wishes to pay more miles for a higher class of service or when significant flight or schedule disruption occurs).

Fees for redepositing a MileSAAver award are generally waived if they are "upgraded" to an AAnytime award. “Downgrading” from AAnytime to !ileSAAver requires redeposited and a new award ticket issue.

AAnytime awards do not earn miles, but are more flexible than MileSAAver awards, allowing easier changes and more perquisites (baggage, Same Day Flight Change, Main Cabin Extra and premium seat selection, two courtesy bags to 23 kg / 50 lbs, etc.)

Print Wikipost

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by JDiver
How many seats are for sale?
Y is now down to 3 and on AA.com it says "3 seats left" in coach..

Plenty of availability in the Premium cabins, but no way of knowing how many in those are for sale.

F7 - 11 unassigned
A7
J7 - 10 unassigned (including gate controlled 8 H/J)
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:50 am

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Perhaps a large group that group travel has not assigned seats?

AA won't sell anymore than the 3 on the website - so seems there's a lot of unassigned seat travelers.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 12:23 pm

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
The count was for coach seats only, and there are no MCE seats on this particular flight/aircraft (non=retrofitted 777)
There are two types of seat blocks which can be placed on economy seats -- I believe they are called Z-Block and Q-Block, but I don't know which is which.

One of the blocks allows only GLD / PLT / EXP to reserve prior to day of travel (Premium), while the other allows the seats to be reserved by GLD / PLT / EXP or purchased by non-status passengers prior to day of travel (Paid). On ExpertFlyer, these are designated by the "P" and "$P" symbols on the seat map.

If you look at the seat map on the flight, only 7 unclaimed seats are not "P" or "$P" and all of those are non-aisle seats in the 5 seat center section.

It is quite possible that there are a significant number of passengers without seat assignments because they cannot reserve the Premium seats, choose not to purchase a Paid seat assignment and did not want to choose a middle seat.

Greg
Old Jan 20, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by GregL
There are two types of seat blocks which can be placed on economy seats -- I believe they are called Z-Block and Q-Block, but I don't know which is which.

One of the blocks allows only GLD / PLT / EXP to reserve prior to day of travel (Premium), while the other allows the seats to be reserved by GLD / PLT / EXP or purchased by non-status passengers prior to day of travel (Paid). On ExpertFlyer, these are designated by the "P" and "$P" symbols on the seat map.

If you look at the seat map on the flight, only 7 unclaimed seats are not "P" or "$P" and all of those are non-aisle seats in the 5 seat center section.

It is quite possible that there are a significant number of passengers without seat assignments because they cannot reserve the Premium seats, choose not to purchase a Paid seat assignment and did not want to choose a middle seat.

Greg
Didn't look at the seat map, but agree here. Before there was MCE, AA had Preferred and Preferred Plus (I think that's what they called it? I just remember the green and purple designations on the seat map) seats, one only available to elites, the other available for purchase for non-elites. These are still on most AA flights, with the addition of MCE. I imagine that the 772 has a fair amount of the Preferred seats, since it doesn't have MCE.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 4:29 pm

Seat map never tells you how much has been sold.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
AAnytime Award "Y" - Can it earn miles?

I tried to search for this and I'm sure its answered somewhere, but when I look to book an AAnytime award it books into the Y fare class. Does this mean that it would be eligible for a complimentary upgrade for a Plat/Gold?

Would this fare show up as Y and then possibly earn miles?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
No and no.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

It could well , based on past experiences, credit to other schemes as Y
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
No and no.
IMO yes and no. Or am I wrong? I guess it depends on how one interprets "show up."
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA HH Gold SPG Gold BA
Do AAny aadvantage awards earn miles?

I just did a search for DFW-MXP for Christmas 2015 travel. While there is not much in terms of saver awards, I noticed that AAnytime economy awards book into Y class? (i think that's full fare revenue economy) So would that mean I would earn miles on such a ticket, even though its booked through AAdvantage?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by rgAAFT
I just did a search for DFW-MXP for Christmas 2015 travel. While there is not much in terms of saver awards, I noticed that AAnytime economy awards book into Y class? (i think that's full fare revenue economy) So would that mean I would earn miles on such a ticket, even though its booked through AAdvantage?
No.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
No.
That's what I would think, but why would they book these awards into Y class then, and not create it's own fair class like T Z or U? (if nothing else, to eliminate confusion b)
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rgAAFT
That's what I would think, but why would they book these awards into Y class then, and not create it's own fair class like T Z or U? (if nothing else, to eliminate confusion b)
Because those are already used (for capacity controlled awards) and there are no more letters to use. Y is the inventory, an internal inhibitor prevent them from accruing miles.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Because those are already used (for capacity controlled awards) and there are no more letters to use. Y is the inventory, an internal inhibitor prevent them from accruing miles.
Ok
Old Jan 27, 2015, 5:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

However, should you have a membership in another FF scheme , you may well find that you receive credit as per the the Y,J,F booking class

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.