Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAnytime Awards (restricted to AA marketed and operated flights)

NOTE: There will likely be further changes. See Dynamic Award Pricing to be Expanded - AA announces 30 May 2019 link

Link to American Airlines award chart

Link to one world and other airline partner award chart

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, discussion thread.

AAnytime awards

With no blackout dates, you can use AAnytime awards for any seat on an American Airlines or American Eagle® flight for as low as 20,000 miles each way, plus any applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

AAnytime award levels vary by date (including time of day) and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards, there is a hidden level 3 based on aspirational value and premium product and even some hidden level 4 award space released on Flagship transcontinental flights). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable available award level.
See this post (post #122) for more on the Level 3 increases introduced August 2016.

Link to The Points Guy article on the hidden Level 3.

If a seat is available for sale on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight, you can acquire it as an AAnytime award seat. AAnytime awards require more miles than the restricted MileSAver awards (for AA and required for partners); there are three tiers for the miles required for AAnytime awards seats; it can "cost" even more miles during high demand periods or on certain aspirational flights.

What you need to know
  • AAnytime awards are only offered on AA marketed and operated flights
    • Miles shown are for one-way travel
      • Book a one-way trip or combine awards for round-trip or multi-city travel
        • AAnytime awards mean as long as there is a seat available for sale, an AAnytime award can take it (but miles cost can be very high)
          • Each award is subject to taxes and carrier-imposed fees starting from $5.60 per person, per award. These taxes and fees vary by itinerary and are based on trip origin and destination. The exact amount of taxes and carrier-imposed fees that will apply will appear when searching for a particular itinerary.
            • For flights offering only two classes of service, the Economy and Business / First Class awards apply. For flights offering three classes of service Economy, Business / First and First Class awards apply.
              • NOTE: AAnytime miles "cost" can vary in accord with flight demand, even on the same day

Awards cost $150 to redeposit ($25 for multiple / other travelers' awards taken from the same account); the fee is waived for awards taken from and returned to the account of an Executive Platinum member, when one wishes to pay more miles for a higher class of service or when significant flight or schedule disruption occurs).

Fees for redepositing a MileSAAver award are generally waived if they are "upgraded" to an AAnytime award. “Downgrading” from AAnytime to !ileSAAver requires redeposited and a new award ticket issue.

AAnytime awards do not earn miles, but are more flexible than MileSAAver awards, allowing easier changes and more perquisites (baggage, Same Day Flight Change, Main Cabin Extra and premium seat selection, two courtesy bags to 23 kg / 50 lbs, etc.)

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold

I fly YVR-DFW-BWI on a coach award ticket and I have Gold status. For the heck of it, I asked at the gate on DFW-BWI if there were any business class seats available since I have status. The gate agent upgraded me without asking if I wanted to use 25,000 miles (what I was told over the phone it would cost to upgrade -- can't use 500-mile upgrades on an award ticket) or 500-mile upgrades.

When I looked at my account a few days later, I saw that neither miles nor 500-mile upgrades had been deducted. Even better, I earned miles on the DFW-BWI leg, including the 25% Gold bonus!

A lucky one-time occurrence or a strategy to finagle miles out of award tickets?

*flew. Forgive me.

Last edited by JDiver; Oct 23, 2015 at 2:43 pm Reason: Restore original post title
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by gscruggs
I fly YVR-DFW-BWI on a coach award ticket and I have Gold status. For the heck of it, I asked at the gate on DFW-BWI if there were any business class seats available since I have status. The gate agent upgraded me without asking if I wanted to use 25,000 miles (what I was told over the phone it would cost to upgrade -- can't use 500-mile upgrades on an award ticket) or 500-mile upgrades.

When I looked at my account a few days later, I saw that neither miles nor 500-mile upgrades had been deducted. Even better, I earned miles on the DFW-BWI leg, including the 25% Gold bonus!

A lucky one-time occurrence or a strategy to finagle miles out of award tickets?
I don't think this was a trick. I think you were just lucky the agent put you into a mile-earning inventory. It doesn't happen most of the time.

Welcome to FT!
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

lucky they even upgraded you for free.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by izzik
lucky they even upgraded you for free.
Of course there is no business class from DFW-BWI.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
Of course there is no business class from DFW-BWI.
They put him in the cargo hold and decided he deserved some miles for freeing up a seat
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton GLD, Marriott Plat, NEXUS/GE
It's entirely possible they will discover the error of the gate agent's ways during an audit and revoke the miles you earned.

Don't be surprised if this happens, but feel free to be smug should it not.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, 2MM, Bonvoy PLT, NYT Monday crossword puzzle solver extraordinaire
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
I don't think this was a trick. I think you were just lucky the agent put you into a mile-earning inventory. It doesn't happen most of the time.

Welcome to FT!
Exactly. It happens from time to time, and you got lucky. Nothing to see here, move along....

Last March, I was booked DFW-ORD-CDG, in J, on a MilesAAver award. DFW-ORD went MX, meaning I would have missed my ORD-CDG connection. I went immediately to the AC, where the AAngel rebooked me on the afternoon nonstop to CDG (the flight I wanted all along, but could never book as a saver award).

A couple mornings later, in Paris, I looked at my AAdvantage account on my iphone, and saw I had earned miles for my flight. IIRC, AAngel had moved me from a U fare to D, award to paid J. Either she didn't notice my original fare inventory, or it was easier for her to simply stick me into a paid fare. I don't know which, and don't care. I was happy to see the extra ~9k RDMs in my account.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 7:57 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Changed Award Booked in Y - Will I earn miles?

I know this has been covered but could not find the thread.

Milesaver Award tkt change due to Sandy cancellation.

My new ticket shows Y

I believe I may earn miles, but trying for EVIP is a NO-GO.

Is that correct?
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:05 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by alhcfp
I know this has been covered but could not find the thread.

Milesaver Award tkt change due to Sandy cancellation.

My new ticket shows Y

I believe I may earn miles, but trying for EVIP is a NO-GO.

Is that correct?
If you try for an upgrade you will bring attention to the ticket and the agent will very likely see the underlying booking. You *might* earn miles - only time will tell.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 8:25 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Inasmuch as AAnytime awards book into Y, and AA can tell that this is not "real Y" I think it unlikely that you will get mileage credit.

FYI, a pretty much identical question appeared in the "Newbie" thread, where this likely belongs as well.

Cheers.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
Award ticket rebooked in Y. Miles?

Due to Sandy, award ticket paid with miles has been rebooked into Y class. Will I now earn miles on those flights?
Old Nov 6, 2012, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by flyinghigh77
Due to Sandy, award ticket paid with miles has been rebooked into Y class. Will I now earn miles on those flights?
No, IME this is a common occurrence for an award flight to show as Y. The only time I had the privilege of earning miles on an award flight was when I missed the flight and the GA mistakenly issued a ticket for the next flight into regular inventory.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Y fare code is a legitimate fare code for award travel (AAnytime). If there is no T availability following IRROPS, you get booked into the next available award code. Most likely it is a Y award fare code that doesn't earn miles but, as always, YMMV.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, Delta Gold, AA Plat
thanks. I was originally booked in T. I was under the impression, that Y is full fare paid coach??
Old Nov 6, 2012, 9:30 am

but sometimes it does happen.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.