Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAnytime Awards (restricted to AA marketed and operated flights)

NOTE: There will likely be further changes. See Dynamic Award Pricing to be Expanded - AA announces 30 May 2019 link

Link to American Airlines award chart

Link to one world and other airline partner award chart

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, discussion thread.

AAnytime awards

With no blackout dates, you can use AAnytime awards for any seat on an American Airlines or American Eagle® flight for as low as 20,000 miles each way, plus any applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

AAnytime award levels vary by date (including time of day) and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards, there is a hidden level 3 based on aspirational value and premium product and even some hidden level 4 award space released on Flagship transcontinental flights). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable available award level.
See this post (post #122) for more on the Level 3 increases introduced August 2016.

Link to The Points Guy article on the hidden Level 3.

If a seat is available for sale on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight, you can acquire it as an AAnytime award seat. AAnytime awards require more miles than the restricted MileSAver awards (for AA and required for partners); there are three tiers for the miles required for AAnytime awards seats; it can "cost" even more miles during high demand periods or on certain aspirational flights.

What you need to know
  • AAnytime awards are only offered on AA marketed and operated flights
    • Miles shown are for one-way travel
      • Book a one-way trip or combine awards for round-trip or multi-city travel
        • AAnytime awards mean as long as there is a seat available for sale, an AAnytime award can take it (but miles cost can be very high)
          • Each award is subject to taxes and carrier-imposed fees starting from $5.60 per person, per award. These taxes and fees vary by itinerary and are based on trip origin and destination. The exact amount of taxes and carrier-imposed fees that will apply will appear when searching for a particular itinerary.
            • For flights offering only two classes of service, the Economy and Business / First Class awards apply. For flights offering three classes of service Economy, Business / First and First Class awards apply.
              • NOTE: AAnytime miles "cost" can vary in accord with flight demand, even on the same day

Awards cost $150 to redeposit ($25 for multiple / other travelers' awards taken from the same account); the fee is waived for awards taken from and returned to the account of an Executive Platinum member, when one wishes to pay more miles for a higher class of service or when significant flight or schedule disruption occurs).

Fees for redepositing a MileSAAver award are generally waived if they are "upgraded" to an AAnytime award. “Downgrading” from AAnytime to !ileSAAver requires redeposited and a new award ticket issue.

AAnytime awards do not earn miles, but are more flexible than MileSAAver awards, allowing easier changes and more perquisites (baggage, Same Day Flight Change, Main Cabin Extra and premium seat selection, two courtesy bags to 23 kg / 50 lbs, etc.)

Print Wikipost

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2014, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
As of now, you can't book US metal at AAnytime rates; only AA metal. This will change when the FF programs are integrated.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

"I had also considered flying BDL-CLT and then driving the rest of the way. For that short flight though I'd baulk a bit at paying even Saver prices. I have BA Avios too which I'd rather use for this scenario (need fewer), but availability doesn't show on ba.com even when I can see Saver availability on aa.com."

Is the SAAver availability you're seeing for BDL-CLT on a nonstop flight, or does it require a connection? The ba.com website sometimes has trouble displaying available partner award space when connections are involved.

And ba.com sometimes experiences IT issues that prevent it from displaying partner award space generally. If that happens, a call to the BAEC Service Center might be in order.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
No AAnytime availability CLT-HHH?

Have you considered SAV instead of HHH?
Old Nov 9, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by Segments
Have you considered SAV instead of HHH?
Ding ding ding, only a 45-minute drive to Hilton Head from SAV. The city of Savannah has its own pleasures too.

Or, if you really don't want to drive from CLT, consider CHS which is two hours from Hilton Head (half the distance as CLT).
Old Nov 9, 2014, 11:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
As of now, you can't book US metal at AAnytime rates; only AA metal. This will change when the FF programs are integrated.
what this means is that US only has 'saver awards'...the more 'expensive' anytime awards dont exist on US air. Only on AA.

You can only fly CLT-HHH on US air (not AA), and therefore only on a saver award. Counterintuitive.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Thank you everyone for your kind help, I really appreciate it. We're flying with a toddler so trying to balance saving time and saving hassle. Changing planes is always more hassle than you think with a toddler in tow, and it extends 'minimum connection times' a little.

SAV would still save time so will look into that. CHS is probably a bit of a wash time-wise overall so would probably drive from CLT. Not the end of the world, but did the drive from CLT last year and the traffic was nasty making the drive unenjoyable.

Also thanks for the BA info. If I find Saver availability then I'll try giving them a call too.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:17 am

PHL-MAN AAnytime not available?

I'm trying to book a PHL-MAN trip for next April using AA miles on US metal. I'm trying to get saver awards, but plan on using the AAnytime fares as a backup. However, for some reason aa.com is not showing any saver or anytime awards on the PHL-MAN leg. I was able to get a saver for the MAN-PHL (and there was several days with AAnytime), but 0 for PHL-MAN. Is this 0 AAnything availability from PHL-MAN a short term glitch or some rule, etc I'm not aware of?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
If a saver award to MAN doesn't show up, would a flight to DUB or LHR be a possibility?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Anytime awards for AA miles are available only for AA-operated flights.

Last edited by JDiver; Dec 19, 2014 at 8:24 am Reason: add highlight on correct answer
Old Dec 19, 2014, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Anytime awards for AA miles are available only for AA-operated flights.

I think this may be it - it looks like the first date showing Anytime is April 15 - I assume that's the cutover date that they will consider it an AA flight and not a US Air

Whats interesting is that this only shows for MAN-PHL and never for PHL-MAN
Old Dec 19, 2014, 9:01 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I have a saver award flight using AA miles for next July MUC-TXL-JFK;LGA-DCA on AB/US that I hope to switch to MUC-PHL-DCA (US). Though I have been checking regularly for several months and have some flexibility as far as the date is concerned, no transatlantic flights on US have been available until yesterday, when MUC-LHR-CLT-DCA and MUC-LHR-PHL-DCA (both BA/US) showed up. I haven't made a change because of the higher fees, but I've become more hopeful that MUC-PHL may become available in the coming months.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 9:57 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Huge Unassigned Seats vs. Coach AAnytime Award (Y) Availability

I was checking up on biz seats situation for an upcoming flight on EF and saw that this far out (AA 61 on Feb 12, DFW-NRT) Y was showing only 4, but the seat map wide open (61 unassigned seats, excluding blocked seats).

I know not to use the seat map as a firm confirmation of any type to how many seats are unsold/available, but this seems a little out of norm especially on AA to me.

Anyone seen such large discrepancies?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:00 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
How many seats are for sale?
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:12 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Anyone seen such large discrepancies?
I'd bet that the unassigned seats are all Premium / Paid / MCE seats that require a purchase if bought in advance.

As more seats are put into this category, it's possible to see what appears to be a mostly empty seat map while the inventory has actually been sold.

If people don't pay up in advance, they will get the seats anyway as they are the only ones left for assignment on the day of travel.

Greg
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GregL
I'd bet that the unassigned seats are all Premium / Paid / MCE seats that require a purchase if bought in advance.

As more seats are put into this category, it's possible to see what appears to be a mostly empty seat map while the inventory has actually been sold.

If people don't pay up in advance, they will get the seats anyway as they are the only ones left for assignment on the day of travel.

Greg
The count was for coach seats only, and there are no MCE seats on this particular flight/aircraft (non=retrofitted 777)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.