Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAnytime Awards (restricted to AA marketed and operated flights)

NOTE: There will likely be further changes. See Dynamic Award Pricing to be Expanded - AA announces 30 May 2019 link

Link to American Airlines award chart

Link to one world and other airline partner award chart

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, discussion thread.

AAnytime awards

With no blackout dates, you can use AAnytime awards for any seat on an American Airlines or American Eagle® flight for as low as 20,000 miles each way, plus any applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

AAnytime award levels vary by date (including time of day) and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards, there is a hidden level 3 based on aspirational value and premium product and even some hidden level 4 award space released on Flagship transcontinental flights). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable available award level.
See this post (post #122) for more on the Level 3 increases introduced August 2016.

Link to The Points Guy article on the hidden Level 3.

If a seat is available for sale on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight, you can acquire it as an AAnytime award seat. AAnytime awards require more miles than the restricted MileSAver awards (for AA and required for partners); there are three tiers for the miles required for AAnytime awards seats; it can "cost" even more miles during high demand periods or on certain aspirational flights.

What you need to know
  • AAnytime awards are only offered on AA marketed and operated flights
    • Miles shown are for one-way travel
      • Book a one-way trip or combine awards for round-trip or multi-city travel
        • AAnytime awards mean as long as there is a seat available for sale, an AAnytime award can take it (but miles cost can be very high)
          • Each award is subject to taxes and carrier-imposed fees starting from $5.60 per person, per award. These taxes and fees vary by itinerary and are based on trip origin and destination. The exact amount of taxes and carrier-imposed fees that will apply will appear when searching for a particular itinerary.
            • For flights offering only two classes of service, the Economy and Business / First Class awards apply. For flights offering three classes of service Economy, Business / First and First Class awards apply.
              • NOTE: AAnytime miles "cost" can vary in accord with flight demand, even on the same day

Awards cost $150 to redeposit ($25 for multiple / other travelers' awards taken from the same account); the fee is waived for awards taken from and returned to the account of an Executive Platinum member, when one wishes to pay more miles for a higher class of service or when significant flight or schedule disruption occurs).

Fees for redepositing a MileSAAver award are generally waived if they are "upgraded" to an AAnytime award. “Downgrading” from AAnytime to !ileSAAver requires redeposited and a new award ticket issue.

AAnytime awards do not earn miles, but are more flexible than MileSAAver awards, allowing easier changes and more perquisites (baggage, Same Day Flight Change, Main Cabin Extra and premium seat selection, two courtesy bags to 23 kg / 50 lbs, etc.)

Print Wikipost

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 4.6 MM, LT Pt, HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium
In order to be on the inaugural flight (118) of the A321T from LAX to JFK on Jan. 7, 2014, I booked first class using an anytime award. There was a bonus associated with this new service that I registered for prior to booking the actual award. My anytime award booked as code F and I did, in fact, receive the 15,000 bonus miles.

I also used an anytime first class award (booking code F) to be on the inaugural DFW to HKG flight last June 11. Unfortunately, there was no bonus for this new route at that time and I received no bonus miles. However, I did receive CK service (totally unexpected but thoroughly appreciated) when I departed HKG on flight 138 the following Monday. I'll take that over miles any day.

I intend to use however many miles are needed to be on the inaugural international flight of the 787 in business class. Hopefully, there will be some mileage bonus associated with this flight.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Ah, the good old days. In the early/mid 80's awards on TWA earned miles. Wonderful while it lasted.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 10:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by JMN57
Ah, the good old days. In the early/mid 80's awards on TWA earned miles. Wonderful while it lasted.
And the awards included 7 night hotel stay and rental cars as well. It real l y was the total vacation package. Oh what competition and new products trying to draw customers does..
Old Jan 28, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
AA systems are very good now. I have not gotten mileage credit on award tickets (AA, OW and a mix) now in over 5 years. Don't count on miles. Even when I'm rerouted due to delays/mechanicals they see it's an award ticket.

Upgrades are also a no-go. That being said you may get lucky in an oversold situation but the upgrade request function is greyed out online and during checkin.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by vasantn
IMO yes and no. Or am I wrong? I guess it depends on how one interprets "show up."
Agreed, it will show as Y but it will still not allow upgrades or earn miles since it is an award.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:52 am
Suspended

Was examined a few hours before here:
<deleted URL after thread merges>

Last edited by JDiver; Jan 28, 2015 at 9:42 am
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:45 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by marnold3
In order to be on the inaugural flight (118) of the A321T from LAX to JFK on Jan. 7, 2014, I booked first class using an anytime award. There was a bonus associated with this new service that I registered for prior to booking the actual award. My anytime award booked as code F and I did, in fact, receive the 15,000 bonus miles.

I also used an anytime first class award (booking code F) to be on the inaugural DFW to HKG flight last June 11. Unfortunately, there was no bonus for this new route at that time and I received no bonus miles. However, I did receive CK service (totally unexpected but thoroughly appreciated) when I departed HKG on flight 138 the following Monday. I'll take that over miles any day.

I intend to use however many miles are needed to be on the inaugural international flight of the 787 in business class. Hopefully, there will be some mileage bonus associated with this flight.
Hope springs eternal, but you're not at all likely to earn miles on an award - even on an inaugural flight (bonus miles loopholes are not uncommon, but again, it's unlikely to earn bonus miles on an award.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:40 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Combine J and F AAnytime awards between 2 and 3 class planes?

Trying to go JFK-LAX-LAS using a 45k AAnytime award in business. But the fact that it books into F rather than J for the LAX - LAS leg seems to make the system fail to price and an agent rebuffed me.

The system will only let me take the itin if it is in F from JFK-LAX - at 85k miles of course.

I would assume the system can recognize it's business on a three cabin plane and first on a two cabin and they should price as one J ticket.

Am I right an agent can get this manually priced if I am persistent?
Old Mar 20, 2015, 12:30 am

Originally Posted by daveland
Trying to go JFK-LAX-LAS using a 45k AAnytime award in business. But the fact that it books into F rather than J for the LAX - LAS leg seems to make the system fail to price and an agent rebuffed me.

The system will only let me take the itin if it is in F from JFK-LAX - at 85k miles of course.

I would assume the system can recognize it's business on a three cabin plane and first on a two cabin and they should price as one J ticket.

Am I right an agent can get this manually priced if I am persistent?
Yes, a competent agent should be able to do this.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by Bttc
Yes, a competent agent should be able to do this.
Heck, an extrAA competent agent will even rebook your 25k SAAver award into the F cabin of the 3-class transcon once in a while.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:25 pm

do daily AAnytime award levels go up after being "set"?

Just curious if whatever rate AA sets the AAnytime level at ever goes up (or even down) once they're released.

Obviously the MileSAAver availability can be volatile and flights available for this redemption level can change over time.

But if say the AAnytime level I'm seeing to today is 20k, is there any risk in it going above that rate? If not, then obviously there is no advantage in booking these early (assuming both the flight and Main Cabin Extra still appear plenty, and not within X day fee windows for booking close to flight date) when you could gamble some seats may get moved over to a MileSAAver rate, correct?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
For a period of ~10 months I think I've seen ZRH-JFK-SFO go both up and down on a particular day I booked. Possible unique factors is 1) AA changing the frequency of flights between JFK and SFO, and 2) the calendar view is sometimes different than when looking at the actual day (often an off-by-1 issue) and I didn't always look at the actual day.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by teammjs
Just curious if whatever rate AA sets the AAnytime level at ever goes up (or even down) once they're released.

Obviously the MileSAAver availability can be volatile and flights available for this redemption level can change over time.

But if say the AAnytime level I'm seeing to today is 20k, is there any risk in it going above that rate? If not, then obviously there is no advantage in booking these early (assuming both the flight and Main Cabin Extra still appear plenty, and not within X day fee windows for booking close to flight date) when you could gamble some seats may get moved over to a MileSAAver rate, correct?

I wonder if Revenue Management looks at a flight and if there are AAnytimes booked before they might open an milesaver. I avoid booking anytimes for that reason.

Originally Posted by armus
For a period of ~10 months I think I've seen ZRH-JFK-SFO go both up and down on a particular day I booked. Possible unique factors is 1) AA changing the frequency of flights between JFK and SFO, and 2) the calendar view is sometimes different than when looking at the actual day (often an off-by-1 issue) and I didn't always look at the actual day.
AA.com is a mess when it comes to accuracy. AAnytime numbers are often incorrect on the calendar display.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 10:47 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
There are 2 tiers of AAnytime awards. It's either going to be the lower or the higher tier, and all these mileage costs are published by AA.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/r...ward-chart.jsp
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
There are 2 tiers of AAnytime awards. It's either going to be the lower or the higher tier, and all these mileage costs are published by AA.
I guess you 'aint heard the news.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.