Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
There is a thread on this:

More generally, March 10th is nearly 11 months away. Seems quite premature to declare MileSAAver awards completely unavailable when there's plenty of time between now and then.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 3:26 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing thread on scarcity of MileSAAver awards. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Apr 17, 2017, 12:46 pm

Programs: Aadvantage USDividends
Finally decided to use my 160k AA miles to take a first class trip to some nice warm beach early next year.. the Pacific NW winter is brutal.

Apparently I chose a wrong time to do so.. yikes :/
Old Apr 17, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by tytherby
Finally decided to use my 160k AA miles to take a first class trip to some nice warm beach early next year.. the Pacific NW winter is brutal.

Look for a beach destination served by a partner airline. But you may have to go in March 2018 as most initial released seats are probably gone already. You have to jump on them at 330 days out.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:33 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold

You can get "Business/First" SEA-MIA on AA for 25k for a handful of days Jan through Mar. Return is pretty solidly 45k, though. Maybe better than nothing?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Plenty of JL J availability to Bangkok out of Seattle in early 2018 (January). You might have to settle for sub-optimal equipment out of YVR/SAN or LAX-KIX to start, but JL usually will open up better routes

You're in luck because AS, unlike AA, actually has lots of domestic flight availability out of and into SEA...
Old Apr 17, 2017, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Use partner airlines. But the F price is steep though.

Originally Posted by susiesan
Look for a beach destination served by a partner airline. But you may have to go in March 2018 as most initial released seats are probably gone already. You have to jump on them at 330 days out.
One seat in F is aplenty. Many many dates available, between Jan and Feb.
Two seats in J are still available though the options are less, but are available.

Gone is the days when F was very hard to book in advance due to the now steep price.
Even J isn't that difficult. You have to thank the inequality in the seats AS could see versus AA could see. There are lots of JL seats, somewhat less so for CX seats but they ARE available for both Jan and Feb. No need to hit the 330 days the min it opens.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: UA 1K
Pretty soon, we won't see Anytime as Double Price.

We'll see sAAver as Half Price.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 8:29 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Pretty soon, we won't see Anytime as Double Price.

We'll see sAAver as Half Price.
I can tell you factually, from AA's P.O.V.-- at the absolute highest level-- they've seen it that way, officially, for many years.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I can tell you factually, from AA's P.O.V.-- at the absolute highest level-- they've seen it that way, officially, for many years.
That reminds me of a local TV news interview that AA's CEO, I believe Arpey at that time, gave. One question centered around award availability. His response was something along the lines of awards are always available on all flights. People just need to be willing to spend the miles to get them.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 4:11 pm

Is there any trick to getting them to send a message to inventory or is it based on agent discretion, experience and motivation?

I have an international J award in 1 month. The domestic connection was booked in Y months ago. I was lucky to even get the Y seat when the agent sent a message to inventory and they opened the Y seat.

In FC 6 out of the 8 seats are still for sale. An upgrade seat just became available (thank you expert flyer) but not an FC award seat. I called and no luck with them even checking to see if they would open an award seat.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold/SVN 3 Star Elite, ICG Plat Ambassador
What ever happened to Business Saver Awards?

Recently I've been searching for saver award availability from Philadelphia to Ft.Myers, Sarasota and Tampa Florida. There is absolutely nothing showing for December, January or February. The BEST is midweek, oneway at 45K miles! Maui to PHL on Friday March 9 next year is 125K...one way! Did AA just decide to do away with premium saver awards or what?
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Our seemingly now daily thread on this topic...

Being discussed thoroughly here:http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html
Old Apr 19, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by psfcfa
Recently I've been searching for saver award availability from Philadelphia to Ft.Myers, Sarasota and Tampa Florida. There is absolutely nothing showing for December, January or February. The BEST is midweek, oneway at 45K miles! Maui to PHL on Friday March 9 next year is 125K...one way! Did AA just decide to do away with premium saver awards or what?
Prime vacation time. Don't even think about trying to find a saver award into or out of Miami in J. Even econ is very very scarce.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
What's a business saver?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.