Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM; Hyatt Explorist; MR Gold; HH Diamond
Whenever AA announced the saver award price increases about a year and a half ago, didn't they state they would also allow more award space to be available? It seems like the opposite happened and it's only getting worse...

Delta used to be the worst of the big 3, but I feel they've made a conscious effort to improve their rewards program.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:52 pm

Programs: AA EP
No aware of any statement saying there would be more availability. BA said something like they wouoe out x seats on each flight at their lowest rate. (Maybe that was just J).

Originally Posted by rendezvous
Whenever AA announced the saver award price increases about a year and a half ago, didn't they state they would also allow more award space to be available? It seems like the opposite happened and it's only getting worse...

Delta used to be the worst of the big 3, but I feel they've made a conscious effort to improve their rewards program.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:40 pm

delted

Last edited by shimps1; Dec 7, 2019 at 11:22 pm
Old Apr 4, 2017, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by shimps1
I had somewhat of an epiphany today.

I've been looking for DSM>XXX>SYD for sometime early next year, and have given up, since the DSM leg is impossible. Planning on paying for that flight.

Just now, I searched DFW>HNL, and there is nearly wide open First availability in Feb on the 772. Then, I searched HNL>SYD, and again, nearly wide open on HA. Am I missing something here, or is this round-about way the best way to get down to Oz now? Obviously I'm adding travel time, but it saves me nearly 50k miles.

EDIT: Looks like HA HNL>SYD would not be lie flat, but I think I would be willing to deal with that.
Neat. It's not really that round-about -- it's only about 3% farther -- but it looks like you'd have to overnight in HNL? There are certainly worse fates...
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AS, HA, CX, AF, BA, UA, HH
Originally Posted by hurnik
There are some (assuming you mean the 40k Business/FC milesaver awards). However, it appears that they mostly seem to be on Saturday (for some reason--at least when I was looking) and only ONE seat. I believe that's the clincher that you're (and myself) trying to find two seats.

Ironically I did find two seats at 40k on the same day. Quite a few times. However:

a) This was at 330 days out (Mostly in Dec. of 2017, hardly nothing in Jan 2018, and then Feb. 2018 more seats show up).
b) They were different itineraries which would've required person A to fly two diff. segments separate from person B. Until both (hopefully) met in SAN for the same Alaska Air flight to OGG. (I think it was OGG, might've been HNL).

At least for cabins that were FC all the way through.

Obviously less than ideal. But it's better than Delta where there were no "saver" awards at all for one person, let alone two. Cheapest DL seat I could find was 90k each way/pp (again, coming from East Coast).

Although apparently if one has REALLY flexible travel plans and is traveling from the West coast (not East like me), you can usually find a low Delta award about 3 weeks prior, and sometimes even 2 Alaska Air partner/milesaver awards via AA as well. But waiting until the last minute for "potential" isn't my idea of fun, given that accommodations in Hawaii are expensive and difficult to get into sometimes (unless you have lots of moolah).

What annoys me the most is AA's website for booking.
It "lies" and tells you there's a 40k saver award, and then you go to book it and find out it's mixed cabin and the "long" flight into Hawaii is in coach.

I'm not defending AA, just saying it seemed to me that compared to Delta there was "better" availability.
Yeah, the 2 seats together is the tough part. Day of week doesn't matter to us. Just don't enjoy the overnight back home unless we're up front.

As far as the "expensive and difficult to get in to" accommodations, I'd have to take issue with that. We spend the majority of our time on Kauai, mainly because it's so much cheaper and (for us) more enjoyable. We can stay at either the Marriott Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn (we never do resorts) cheaper there than we can here in our home town.

My original post was mainly directed at the issue of MileSAAver awards in First/Business on the HNL/OGG-DFW leg have disappeared. Been doing this for 10 years now at least once a year, and occasionally twice, and have never had a problem getting those MileSAAver seats until now.

Last edited by elc2414; Apr 4, 2017 at 6:50 pm
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by Big_Foot
Really? Now it "may be" time to rethink?
AA has been garbage, how come it's news to you?
I guess it is "news" to me because it hasn't really affected us and our traveling except for our trips to Hawaii. AA hasn't been "garbage" for any of our travels up to now. I would guess it really depends on where you fly, when you fly, why you fly and how flexible you are.

Last edited by elc2414; Apr 4, 2017 at 7:01 pm
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by elc2414
Yeah, the 2 seats together is the tough part. Day of week doesn't matter to us. Just don't enjoy the overnight back home unless we're up front.

As far as the "expensive and difficult to get in to" accommodations, I'd have to take issue with that. We spend the majority of our time on Kauai, mainly because it's so much cheaper and (for us) more enjoyable. We can stay at either the Marriott Courtyard or Hilton Garden Inn (we never do resorts) cheaper there than we can here in our home town.

My original post was mainly directed at the issue of MileSAAver awards in First/Business on the HNL/OGG-DFW leg have disappeared. Been doing this for 10 years now at least once a year, and occasionally twice, and have never had a problem getting those MileSAAver seats until now.
I'm "new" the whole AA and award travel, so pardon my stupidity here:

I thought that the "milesaaver" were the 40k awards for FC/Business, yes?

And I thought that those were only if you were going via partner (like Alaska).

Does Alaska Airlines go DFW to OGG? I know when I was searching I think it was SAN to OGG (or maybe it was SAN-> HNL).

So if my thoughts are correct, maybe Alaska doesn't do the DFW to OGG flights anymore via partner awards with AA?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Does Alaska Airlines go DFW to OGG? I know when I was searching I think it was SAN to OGG (or maybe it was SAN-> HNL).

So if my thoughts are correct, maybe Alaska doesn't do the DFW to OGG flights anymore via partner awards with AA?
No, your thoughts are very, very wrong (but understandable if you're not familiar with AA). AS has never flown a DFW-OGG nonstop. OP is talking about AA Milesaaver awards on AA metal. The entire purpose of this thread is to lament that AA has reduced available awards on AA metal.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:07 am

No, MileSAAver awards are not only with partner airlines. There are Economy MileSAAver, Business/First MileSAAver and even First MileSAAver (although those are most often on partner or OneWorld airlines). MileSAAver Economy and Business/First are available on AA, although the Business/First are getting harder and harder to come by depending on the route you are flying.

The HNL/OGG-DFW route is on AA metal, and I have flown Business/First MileSAAver many, many times on those routes.

Just as an example, the trip I have booked for September is a MileSAAver economy XNA-ORD-LAX-HNL on AA metal (used to be able to get MileSAAver economy XNA-DFW-HNL/OGG practically anytime I wanted - but no longer) and the return is MileSAAver economy HNL-PDX-DFW on AS metal and DFW-XNA on AA metal. It seems AA has relegated the majority of their MileSAAver awards to Hawaii to AS, but total AA itineraries can be found if one has the patience and time to search. Or just subscribe to Expert Flyer.....

Last edited by elc2414; Apr 5, 2017 at 11:44 am
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:29 am

I'm "new" the whole AA and award travel
I might add, since you are new to AA award travel, that once you have an itinerary booked, if a better routing comes available (which in my example would be XNA-DFW-HNL) you can change to the better itinerary at no charge as long as the departure/return airports are the same. That is why as soon as I can find MileSAAver awards going to wherever it may be on the dates I want to travel, I book the trip regardless of the routing. Then I keep a watch out for better routing and simply call up AA and change it. We always go to Hawaii in September and many times I have booked the next year's trip in October as soon as inventory opens up at 330 days out. That way I have 11 months to find a better itinerary and at least I know one way or the other the trip is booked.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:37 am

plus, AA will for sure have some schedule changes on a reservation booked at end of schedule. while it seems to take a few calls now days to effecuate, you can use the schedule change to get confirmed on your most desired AA flights without being constrained by saver award inventory.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Colin
plus, AA will for sure have some schedule changes on a reservation booked at end of schedule. while it seems to take a few calls now days to effectuate, you can use the schedule change to get confirmed on your most desired AA flights without being constrained by saver award inventory
Excellent point! I've used it to my advantage many times!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
+1 to the points made above. I just put a BOS-ITM (Osaka) itinerary over Christmas weekend on hold. I was thankful to be able to find one J seat on JL's DFW-NRT flight, but, as expected, finding AA domestic award space from BOS to DFW was much harder. I ended up booking BOS-DCA-DAY-DFW after an hour or so of combing through EF and looking at Wikipedia for possible connecting points. BOS-DCA-DAY are in Y for now (DCA-DAY is a one-class CRJ). Given that this trip is 8+ months out, I'm willing to wager that I will not end up traveling on this domestic itinerary, and something more favorable will work out between now and December!
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It depends on the routes.

Last year I used Avios to book a MIA-LAX Y Saaver at the end of schedule as a place holder due to the cancellation on Avios booking is very cheap at $5.60 per ticket to be exact. I was banking on AA would release the J seat on the transcon as we got closer to travel time.

Well the reality was, the BA place holder was the one we traveled on as AA not only never released any J seat, but also no Y seat on the direct Transcon thru the whole 10 months!

Right now I am periodically checking a SLC-DFW-MIA flight in Sept out of curiosity if we could move from Sat to Thur (Friday has been no Saaver from day one). It has been almost 2 months now and nothing ever changes.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
No, your thoughts are very, very wrong (but understandable if you're not familiar with AA). AS has never flown a DFW-OGG nonstop. OP is talking about AA Milesaaver awards on AA metal. The entire purpose of this thread is to lament that AA has reduced available awards on AA metal.
Ah, OK, thank you. I had seen the previous post about Hawaii and when I had searched the only 40k milesaaver in First/Business were always on AS (I see now that it's DFW to SEA and SEA to OGG).

So I assumed (apparently incorrectly) that the 40k awards were only on partner airlines since I could never find 40k awards on anything "aa" all the way through.

But now I see that is exactly the point, that if you want/need AA metal all the way, you just can't seem to find it. Fortunately I was able to find 67.5k awards (each way), which is still better than Delta (165k each way). Didn't have enough United Miles to check.

But it's good to learn these things.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.