Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by susiesan
I hadn't thought about that oysterhead. I am AA Gold though so I shouldn't have to pay for bags if I end up buying a one way ticket..
It's not about the fees. Just be aware of the hassle of re-checking bags at the start of your next ticket.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
It's not about the fees. Just be aware of the hassle of re-checking bags at the start of your next ticket.
If all flights on AA, shouldn't AA still can thru check the bags?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
If all flights on AA, shouldn't AA still can thru check the bags?
Some phone agents may be willing to combine PNRs if one is an award, but if not then no.

https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Some phone agents may be willing to combine PNRs if one is an award, but if not then no.

https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/Age...%20Tickets.pdf
In this case that definitely would add hassle given susisan is going on a cruise. Most people seem to bring boatload of luggage to a cruise from what we have seen, esp going to the opposite climate. I guess we are the only people who can do a 45 days cruise + land trip with just a 21" roller.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Gold
Thumbs up AA came through for me

I was able to get 2 J saver seats on LAN flights from EZE to MIA but can't get any saver seats even in econ from Miami to Kansas City my home on 3/4. The award tix are on hold until 4/12 and I am searching for Saver flights through any city to MCI. But if I can't get anything by the time I have to ticket I will have to buy one way flights to get home. This will be expensive. Usually it is more difficult to get the international award flights than the domestic ones that connect with the international flight. This really sucks. What is my strategy to get home from my vacation in South America? I looked at 1 or 2 days earlier but there is nothing from EZE to MIA or JFK to MCI.
​​​​
Update: I was able to get saver seats from Miami-DFW in econ added to the EZE-MIA award flight but was still lacking the last leg DFW-MCI. This award is on hold until tomorrow, 4/12. Today I checked online for DFW-MCI on March 4, nothing. I called AA and explained my situation to the agent. She put me on hold and said she would see what she could do to open up award space to get me home.

She did it! She came back on the phone and said AA agreed to open up saver seats on a DFW-MCI flight that fits nicely into the whole itinerary. Good job AA.
Old Apr 11, 2017, 9:35 am

She did it! She came back on the phone and said AA agreed to open up saver seats on a DFW-MCI flight that fits nicely into the whole itinerary. Good job AA.
Congrats, a rare success on a domestic connection.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 6:03 pm

I have been searching for J saver awards from SYD to the US in September for several weeks now. There is absolutely nothing out there. Nothing for the months leading up to then or after. Nothing on either QF or AA. QF isn't too surprising, but AA has an absolutely pathetic offering at the moment.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by masamune
I have been searching for J saver awards from SYD to the US in September for several weeks now. There is absolutely nothing out there. Nothing for the months leading up to then or after. Nothing on either QF or AA. QF isn't too surprising, but AA has an absolutely pathetic offering at the moment.
Going to be even worse now with the announced equipment swaps today. I'm hoping to get a LAX>SYD/AKL sometime next spring. This put a huge damper on my search.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: AADVANTAGE, Iberia Plus, BA Exec Blue, Hertz #1Gold, HHonors Gold, AS, Paradores Amigos
I think I'm going to give up hope of getting the MileSaaver awards we'd hoped for. I am keeping an eye on the AAnytime awards as they are released and they are coming up as 55K or even more. Even more "insult to injury".

Can I ask... if it comes out at 55K when our date is released, is that then fixed at that rate, or, if I wait, could it drop down (some, on the route I am looking at, are at 45K)?

I know there is a chance they could go up. I have seen ridiculous demands of over 100K for what is actually quite a short hop. At 55K I'd have to buy another 5K miles each, adding even more to the cost of these "free" flights. Never again American, never again.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 12:15 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Well supposedly from SEC filings, the revenues from credit card offers are lower than forecasted so instead of $550 million, they are now forecasting $330 million for FY 2017.

So maybe some indication that the devaluations has hurt the signups anticipated from Citi AAdvantage credit cards.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:49 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody

Susiesan - congrats.
Don't forget to set up an EF alert for availability of direct MIA-MCI. If it comes up at any time, you can change to it fee free.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by shimps1
Going to be even worse now with the announced equipment swaps today. I'm hoping to get a LAX>SYD/AKL sometime next spring. This put a huge damper on my search.
If I were you I would lock up the Air Tahiti award LAX-PPT-AKL then change for free if something opens up on AA metal. Not sure if there's a thread on FT, but Live And Lets Fly has multiple posts on this topic with one as recent as this week:

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.com/2017/04/12/trick-booking-air-tahiti-nui-award-space-aa/

If I'm breaking a forum rule by sharing that link then my sincere apologies.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName
If I were you I would lock up the Air Tahiti award LAX-PPT-AKL then change for free if something opens up on AA metal. Not sure if there's a thread on FT, but Live And Lets Fly has multiple posts on this topic with one as recent as this week:

http://liveandletsfly.boardingarea.c...ward-space-aa/

If I'm breaking a forum rule by sharing that link then my sincere apologies.
Awesome tip, thank you!
Old Apr 14, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by Paulchili
Susiesan - congrats.
Don't forget to set up an EF alert for availability of direct MIA-MCI. If it comes up at any time, you can change to it fee free.
Paul,
The only direct MIA-MCI flight is at 8:15pm. Since we arrive Miami at 6:00am I'm not inclined to sit around there all day waiting for a nonstop flight. After being gone 3 weeks on vacation I will want to get home as soon as is physically possible. I will be monitoring AA awards for F seats for MIA-DFW and DFW-MCI flights. I have 10 months to look for them to be released.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 10:47 pm
Original Member

NO Bus/First Milesaver awards

Going from Grr to Crp (Corpus Christi) from Jan 9 through Mar 10 of next year. About a month ago I was able to book 2 Bus/First milessaver Grr to Crp on Jan 9.
Was waiting to get the return on Mar 10 in Bus/first milesaver, only to find out in a search that there are no Bus/first milessaver awards for any date. Looked from Grr to Crp and Crp to Grr from tomorrow through March 10, and there are no Bus/First milesaver awards for any date either direction from now through March 10. Plenty of other awards,(economy miles saver, economy AAnytime, and Bus/First AAnytime) WOW what is going on? Hard to believe.

Have made this same trip for the last 10 years, and always have been able to snag a Bus/Firs milesaver. I guess I should be grateful that I was able to book the outgoing a month ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.