Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by no1cub17
This glitch should be CNN breaking news IMO.

lol

Stop the presses!
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: AA EXP
No idea what you guys are talking about. Anyone want to fly HKG-LAX soon? This glitch should be CNN breaking news IMO.
Not all availability is a "glitch." HKG-LAX has award seats available fairly often (as I've posted in this thread before).
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by rjw242
Not all availability is a "glitch." HKG-LAX has award seats available fairly often (as I've posted in this thread before).
that lhr-lax is still available FWIW
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
My post was very obviously tongue-in-cheek. Not sure how that wasn't obvious.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:58 am

My post was very obviously tongue-in-cheek. Not sure how that wasn't obvious.
Wasn't that obvious, considering how many people in this thread earnestly refer to award inventory releases as "glitches."
Old Mar 10, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
It is really offensive that for long haul connecting flights the positioning domestic leg is in Y. Screws up baggage allowances and just seems so petty.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by HofstraJet
It is really offensive that for long haul connecting flights the positioning domestic leg is in Y. Screws up baggage allowances and just seems so petty.
I find it more offensive when AA shows "Business/First" availability for SFO-LAX-SYD, but LAX-SYD is in economy.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:03 am

I find it more offensive when AA shows "Business/First" availability for SFO-LAX-SYD, but LAX-SYD is in economy.
Yeah - that's a joke.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:11 am

Why does it screw up baggage allowances?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:13 am

Why does it screw up baggage allowances?
Wouldn't I get no bags allowed with the domestic leg or will they see I have J for the connection and use that baggage allowance for the first flight?
Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:41 am

Wouldn't I get no bags allowed with the domestic leg or will they see I have J for the connection and use that baggage allowance for the first flight?
The J baggage allowance should apply IIRC.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 11:50 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Correct.
Baggage allowance is dictated by the longer or overseas carrier. If that flight is in J, then the shorter domestic flight in Y will have the same baggage allowance as the longer J flight.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

@Paulchili, I am 100% with you on your thought.

Forgot about the long haul premium cabins on AA metal, when you could not even find a coach saaver award on one of the 6 MIA-LAX daily direct flight and the only thing offered, if offered, would be 1 to 2 connections, you KNOW the system has broken. And it has been broken since 2 or 3 years ago.

Sure, if you can compromise and dont care where you go, as long as you could find a seat - then the system still works.

I have long been saying that had it not for the CX close in availability, AA miles have lost most of its previous value, aside from the still generous change rules. Since 2 years ago I felt AA was the new DL, and actually it is now far worse than DL, believe or not.

I can find DL 70K Saaver to Europe from MIA in the height of July/Aug 2017 as of now. Try this feat on AA. The 57.5k is meaningless if you could not find a seat, let alone 2!

Sure UA charges you 70/80K but you can find availability and that is all that matters.

I dont believe AA flies its planes full all the time, when its competitors, including the infamous DL, could release saver awards on their own metals, including the domestic routes, it is very difficult to accept the "defense" that now the airlines are flying full capacities.

Just take a look on what you can find from sites like The Flight Deal or Secret Flying, you know airlines are NOT flying in capacity these days.

Yet, the mystery of what AA Yield Management determining when to release award seats continues.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Correct.
Baggage allowance is dictated by the longer or overseas carrier. If that flight is in J, then the shorter domestic flight in Y will have the same baggage allowance as the longer J flight.
Good to know. Thanks for the info.
Old Mar 10, 2017, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
@Paulchili, I am 100% with you on your thought.

Forgot about the long haul premium cabins on AA metal, when you could not even find a coach saaver award on one of the 6 MIA-LAX daily direct flight and the only thing offered, if offered, would be 1 to 2 connections, you KNOW the system has broken. And it has been broken since 2 or 3 years ago.
I'd be interested to know if you select one of the connecting cities as the starting point if it would let you fly direct or would still force a connection. I know it's easy to try and find out, but I will forget when I have time to do it.

And I noticed on the MIA-LAX route, they never have Saver on the 77W flight or it is at an increased price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.