Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by flightmedic
I can't even find a way to get to LAX with a 1 stop anywhere.
You might have to bite the bullet and go with two stops, as bad as that is. Or pay $$ like you said. Last time I needed LAX-JFK, they sent me LAX-DFW-CLT-JFK.
A million nonstop flights a day LAX-CLT and also DFW-JFK, but none available for sAAver.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Anegada
This assumes that either Parker or the BoD cares about anything beyond the bottom line, which, quite frankly, I think is a stretch ...
I linked to a report claiming that AAL has the lowest net profit and operating margins of major US carriers http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27965279-post526.html. It is the BoD's job to care about such details - which effectively make up the bottom line - have a fiduciary responsibility on behalf of shareholders to hold Parker's feet to the fire.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by diver858
have a fiduciary responsibility on behalf of shareholders to hold Parker's feet to the fire.
I'm sure we all received an email from AA asking us to nominate them for Freddy Frequent Flyer Awards. What timing!
Old Mar 1, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by flightmedic
In the past I have had a lot of success in obtaining award seats. Back in August/September at +330 I was able to snag 4 seats LAX-PPT, 2 in business and 2 in coach. We are starting in NY but there were no award seats available from JFK-LAX.

I've been looking on a regular basis and there just is no way currently to get a saver award from NYC-LAX or from LAX to NYC for the return. Really uncomfortable that at +330 and every week since there is simply no availability. I can't even find a way to get to LAX with a 1 stop anywhere.

Getting to the point where I will have to use $$ for the tickets.
If you have the miles, age advice in this forum is to book whatever routing is available, subscribe to a service such as Expert Flyer, set alerts for preferred flights and dates, change as seats become available. It has been widely reported that AA typically holds premium JFX-LAX award seats until the last moment; may make it a nailbiter at times, but I have found that patience and persistence are generally rewarded - particularly if you start 320 - 330 days out.
Scroll back in this and related forums to Feb 19, when AA released a bunch of saver J seats system wide. Those of us with proper alerts were rewarded handsomely, reasonable to expect it will happen again.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:04 pm

have a fiduciary responsibility on behalf of shareholders to hold Parker's feet to the fire.
True, but what implications do you believe this has?

Management clearly believes the current aadvantage program strikes the right balance (else they would adjust it) and the board clearly does not disagree (same).
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:22 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
I linked to a report claiming that AAL has the lowest net profit and operating margins of major US carriers http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27965279-post526.html. It is the BoD's job to care about such details - which effectively make up the bottom line - have a fiduciary responsibility on behalf of shareholders to hold Parker's feet to the fire.
Take a look at the 4th Qtr Yield and PRASM numbers.

If the scarcity of SAAver awards or the changes to the qualification requirements were hurting them, you would see it most directly in the yield number.

But it went up, the only one of the Big 3 to report an increase.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:50 pm

If you have the miles, age advice in this forum is to book whatever routing is available, subscribe to a service such as Expert Flyer, set alerts for preferred flights and dates, change as seats become available. It has been widely reported that AA typically holds premium JFX-LAX award seats until the last moment; may make it a nailbiter at times, but I have found that patience and persistence are generally rewarded - particularly if you start 320 - 330 days out.
Scroll back in this and related forums to Feb 19, when AA released a bunch of saver J seats system wide. Those of us with proper alerts were rewarded handsomely, reasonable to expect it will happen again.
Agreed.

AA's flexibility with changing routings and dates is real perk. I'm flying SYD-US 4 days later than I want to next January and I have every AA/QF TPAC on alert for the days in between in hopes that something will open up. I'd expect it will. Will easily be able to change to my preferred date if seats open up.

AA's mix of scarcity and IT dysfunction almost makes it better for the more experienced award traveler because it reduces competition but still seems to provide just enough availability combined with flexibility to deliver. At least for me.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by LDVFlyer
Take a look at the 4th Qtr Yield and PRASM numbers.

If the scarcity of SAAver awards or the changes to the qualification requirements were hurting them, you would see it most directly in the yield number.

But it went up, the only one of the Big 3 to report an increase.
Did you bother to read the link? FT link tool provided the description, not me. My point has NOTHING to due with the increased scarcity of save awards, expect it will have more of a long-term financial impact on Citibank and the Aadvantage program than operations.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by richarddd
True, but what implications do you believe this has?

Management clearly believes the current aadvantage program strikes the right balance (else they would adjust it) and the board clearly does not disagree (same).
I'm not suggesting that the major issues are related to the aadvantage program, are more fundamental, systemic. Parker may be good at downsizing, squeezing out the last few pennies; it is time to bring on some fresh perspectives, to attract and retain higher value customers.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:40 am

Thanks. When I made the initial reservation to PPT I tried to book ANYTHING from JFK to LAX, even if it had 3 stops. Absolutely nothing was available. I have an alert in on EF but with so many possible flights out of JFK there is a limit to the number of alerts allowed. I have alerts on business and economy on every non stop out of JFK for the day I need it. I also have alerts in for January 2018 to OGG as I just booked the resort but even at +330 there is still no availability in either direction.

For the OGG flight I am OK in using an anytime award, if I have to. For the PPT trip I'm already in for 80k each way in business and I don't want to add another 50+k to that award.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA, 1.5MM, GE
an update...

A few pages ago you may remember where I revealed my dismay at the change in availability of saaver awards. I was hoping to get a RT DFW-HKG in F or J and was going for AA metal due to the convenient routing. In the past I always did everything I could to get CX F (and/or JL F) a few times as well. Well, duh, if CX was good enough then... So that is what I'm gonna do, CX F from ORD to HKG. CX F to HKG has actually been a highlight of my travel adventures, another certainly won't hurt.

Now, if some DFW-ORD saaver seats would just open up... What is interesting is that the domestic leg was always the easiest to get.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by wandertheglobe
A Well, duh, if CX was good enough then... So that is what I'm gonna do, CX F from ORD to HKG. CX F to HKG has actually been a highlight of my travel adventures, another certainly won't hurt.
That's wonderful - after all who wouldn't want an CX F award Did you already actually get this F award for ORD - HKG or are you hoping to get one? I cannnot tell from your post.
Wanting it and getting it are two different things however, as we all here know very well. You might have gotten it in the past - as many of us did - but CX has changed their policy regarding releasing F awards to AA FFs, in case you haven't heard.
Good luck.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by wandertheglobe
Tthe domestic leg was always the easiest to get.

Thus we have a new forum devoted to the SCARCITY of the awards in the new AA system.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Zero availability

Just tried looking for saver award seat on AA metal or a seat for systemwide for any flight from PHL to any European city in the months of November, December and January. None. Completely nothing. Its quite astonishing that in 3 month time one of AA hubs has no availability for anything to any European city out of a dozen of them.

Also, was looking for the same time frame for Bogota from MIA, same outcome. It is completely frustrating especially when compared to United or Delta. In this case the grass is greener elsewhere, the only reason I stick with AA is nonstops.

Last edited by asnovici; Mar 3, 2017 at 11:51 am
Old Mar 3, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by asnovici
Just tried looking for saver award seat on AA metal or a seat for systemwide for any flight from PHL to any European city in the months of November, December and January. None. Completely nothing. Its quite astonishing that in 3 month time one of AA hubs has no availability for anything to any European city out of a dozen of them.

This is especially sad as you are looking in the lowest season of winter travel to Europe (except for the week of Xmas) and not the high season of summer holiday travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.