Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by elc2414
Excellent point! I've used it to my advantage many times!
That's good to know. I'd forgotten about the free changes as long as origin/destination remain the same.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Data points continue

Searched for a business saver award seat MIA YYZ on ANY DATE on ANY FLIGHT for the rest of the schedule into next year. Nothing. Completely zero. New American.

We have started buying Business revenue tickets on Star alliance carriers for very reasonable prices internationally and as a result less revenue on AA and less loyalty. As a $50k EXP and $20K a year EXP and PLT I'm sure AA doesn't care about us, but makes us feel good

Last edited by asnovici; Apr 8, 2017 at 8:50 pm
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by asnovici
Searched for an award seat MIA YYZ on ANY DATE on ANY FLIGHT for the rest of the schedule into next year. Nothing. Completely zero. New American.

We have started buying Business revenue tickets on Star alliance carriers for very reasonable prices internationally and as a result less revenue on AA and less loyalty. As a $50k EXP and $20K a year EXP and PLT I'm sure AA doesn't care about us, but makes us feel good
Nicely done! Maybe worth sending AA a message letting them know how much revenue they are losing from a loyal customer. Who knows if they'll care but worth a shot - you might even get a call from their exec office too!

Last edited by no1cub17; Apr 8, 2017 at 1:43 pm
Old Apr 8, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Maybe worth sending AA a message letting them know how much revenue they are losing from a loyal customer
Second this....
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Maybe worth sending AA a message letting them know how much revenue they are losing from a loyal customer.
"I'm a loyal customer" and "I've taken my business elsewhere" are completely contradictory statements.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
"I'm a loyal customer" and "I've taken my business elsewhere" are completely contradictory statements.
Seriously? Ok then the poster can say "formerly loyal customer" instead of just "loyal customer". Is that good enough?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I was able to get 2 J saver seats on LAN flights from EZE to MIA but can't get any saver seats even in econ from Miami to Kansas City my home on 3/4. The award tix are on hold until 4/12 and I am searching for Saver flights through any city to MCI. But if I can't get anything by the time I have to ticket I will have to buy one way flights to get home. This will be expensive. Usually it is more difficult to get the international award flights than the domestic ones that connect with the international flight. This really sucks. What is my strategy to get home from my vacation in South America? I looked at 1 or 2 days earlier but there is nothing from EZE to MIA or JFK to MCI.
​​​​
Old Apr 8, 2017, 5:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by susiesan
..What is my strategy to get home from my vacation in South America?
​​​​
I think you named it in the first part of your post:
...if I can't get anything by the time I have to ticket I will have to buy one way flights to get home.
​​​​
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I think you named it in the first part of your post:
Right now the least expensive one way that would coincide and connect with my arrival flight is $166 each. Then the next flight timewise is $213. I'm guessing AA isn't making any seats out of MIA available at saver level because this is a day, Sunday, when thousands of people disembark cruise ships and fly home. So they don't have to make award seat available because they can sell the seats. The same thing probably happens on Saturdays, another cruise ship day.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Careful with rules that limit baggage check thru on separate tickets, even when both are AA.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Nicely done! Maybe worth sending AA a message letting them know how much revenue they are losing from a loyal customer. Who knows if they'll care but worth a shot - you might even get a call from their exec office too!
I would but I actually really doubt they care. In a grander scheme of things my spend isn't important to them, that's a couples of analysts salaries there, and last call from so called exec office I got produced no results. My main complaint about obnoxious goons from a subcontracted company they use in PHL to "watch Precheck lanes" aka harass customers with elite tags on their bags has not been addressed and savvy flyers still need to enter the terminal through Delta security lanes to avoid harrassment when they fly AA. There is no hope in sight for this airline.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 2:33 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by asnovici
I would but I actually really doubt they care. In a grander scheme of things my spend isn't important to them, that's a couples of analysts salaries there, and last call from so called exec office I got produced no results. My main complaint about obnoxious goons from a subcontracted company they use in PHL to "watch Precheck lanes" aka harass customers with elite tags on their bags has not been addressed and savvy flyers still need to enter the terminal through Delta security lanes to avoid harrassment when they fly AA. There is no hope in sight for this airline.
What do they do to harass you (and others)?
Agree, no hope for AA
Old Apr 9, 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Careful with rules that limit baggage check thru on separate tickets, even when both are AA.
I hadn't thought about that oysterhead. I am AA Gold though so I shouldn't have to pay for bags if I end up buying a one way ticket.

Today I was able to get saver seats from MIA-DFW. I am getting closer to Kansas City. One way costs from there are $88-$122 depending on which flight I would need.

Another option is to return from EZE through JFK. There are seats on LAN for that flight but getting from JFK-MCI is the same on March 4. No saver seats at all. Sundays must be prime day for selling tickets and not having award seats available.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
What do they do to harass you (and others)?
Agree, no hope for AA
Please search for "orange shirts PHL" on FT. Apologies as I don't know how to include the link.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I hadn't thought about that oysterhead. I am AA Gold though so I shouldn't have to pay for bags if I end up buying a one way ticket.

Today I was able to get saver seats from MIA-DFW. I am getting closer to Kansas City. One way costs from there are $88-$122 depending on which flight I would need.

Another option is to return from EZE through JFK. There are seats on LAN for that flight but getting from JFK-MCI is the same on March 4. No saver seats at all. Sundays must be prime day for selling tickets and not having award seats available.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.