Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Jan 25, 2014, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Old Dec 28, 2017, 10:41 pm

And I travel mostly for work (a few times a quarter, more in the summer). I do have to be slightly budget-conscious for work, though, since I work for a non-profit. Twice a year for leisure, always long-haul. Dave Noble - my concern is that traveling AA only sporadically means I'll have AA miles accumulated every so often, but they'll never actually amount to anything for a long time, like my sub-10k miles sitting in my account with no obvious use-value right now or in the short-term. My logic is, why wouldn't I fly Lufthansa or United transatlantic instead (JFK-LHR or JFK-Germany being my most common route) and credit those miles to Krisflyer? I use KF miles every year without fail, so that way the miles I accumulate from flying have more immediate use.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:02 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by pennystinkard
And I travel mostly for work (a few times a quarter, more in the summer). I do have to be slightly budget-conscious for work, though, since I work for a non-profit. Twice a year for leisure, always long-haul. Dave Noble - my concern is that traveling AA only sporadically means I'll have AA miles accumulated every so often, but they'll never actually amount to anything for a long time, like my sub-10k miles sitting in my account with no obvious use-value right now or in the short-term. My logic is, why wouldn't I fly Lufthansa or United transatlantic instead (JFK-LHR or JFK-Germany being my most common route) and credit those miles to Krisflyer? I use KF miles every year without fail, so that way the miles I accumulate from flying have more immediate use.
That's great that you can make Krisflyer work for you. I'm also UA 1k, plus almost to *AG on OZ for the long term as UA doesn't satisfy me, their premium cabin seats (except the domestic 757 lie-flats,) are marginal at best. To top that AA acct off easily, try some BA PE back from Europe. Or, QR (careful though as QR J will make you hate LH and UA,) is always having a premium cabin sale, just nothing recently ex-US. CC's also are easy especially the Barclay Red Aviator, as the 60k offer is still available, requires just a purchase.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by pennystinkard
What is the price difference and what are the schedules like on LH and UA?

If they are a better choice, then it makes sense to use them.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:11 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
Where is the new, expanded award availability?

I read a quote a few months ago in which AA's CEO basically said that their new, sparse award availability pissed off a lot of people, so they were going to fix it at the beginning of the year. Here it is January 1. I don't see any difference.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:54 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I apologize for not reading the other 1550 posts in this thread. This may have been mentioned already. If AA would allow waitlisting for awards (like DL did, back 20 years ago when I was at their top level), then the scarcity wouldn't be quite so bad. Still, if you have ExpertFlyer, you can set up an alert, thus accomplishing the same thing as waitlisting.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by loomis
I read a quote a few months ago in which AA's CEO basically said that their new, sparse award availability pissed off a lot of people, so they were going to fix it at the beginning of the year. Here it is January 1. I don't see any difference.
"Beginning of the year" in business can be interpreted as anytime in Q1 or even H1.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by loomis
DId they say how much of a "fix" it would be?

The main improvement I've seen of late (but predates the year turn) has seemed to be slightly more connecting flights to partner international flights (where the partner international flight departs from the other side of the country where you are).

In fact, some of these don't show up on BA/QF oneworld availability searches, but do show up on aa.com searches (when the partners are ones that show up on aa.com). Also, some involve mixed cabin results, which is not something that AA's CEO specifically said they would fix, was it?

I also don't recall AA's CEO saying they were going fix TATL award availability only existing on high-YQ airlines.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I have had reasonable success cobbling together saaver U award travel for 2018. In both cases, there is at least 1 stop, one leg is currently booked in T, but I expect at least one schedule change between now and then, which will result in a more desirable, all U itinerary. In at least one case, I also expect U space to become available within 2 weeks of departure, although I would prefer not to cut it that close.
Old Jan 2, 2018, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I just booked PIT-BCN for 4 this summer, mid-June after school is out, SAAver. I actually had numerous choices through the entire month.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:25 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
AA about to fly this 45% empty business class from LHR-ORD tomorrow without releasing any availability, What's the thought process behind this? Mad.

Old Jan 4, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Assuming that's AA 47, it's J0, meaning there are no business class seats available, even for purchase. They are just unassigned at the moment. Also, coach is Y0, so the flight in general may be oversold.
adunker likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can't buy a ticket for it on the AA website, why would they have award availability?

It's also sold out for the next 2 Fridays. I'd say the odds of an award on that flight/day are long.

Seat assignments often mean little in terms of availability.

Last edited by CPRich; Jan 4, 2018 at 9:32 am
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Assuming that's AA 47, it's J0, meaning there are no business class seats available, even for purchase. They are just unassigned at the moment. Also, coach is Y0, so the flight in general may be oversold.
At the very least shouldn't they at least open up some C availability? If J is indeed only 45% filled but the plane is oversold in Y I understand why they wouldn't want to release U or T. But if Y is oversold and they will op up people, wouldn't it be smarter to try and get some people to bite on the miles + co-pay or let EXP clear their SWU, if they haven't already?

Who knows, maybe AA has sucess getting people to bite on the full cash upgrade or maybe 45% of J passengers haven't selected seats. Both don't seem very likely.

As an ORD based flyer I find the AA operated ORD-LHR vv flights are some of the toughest to get in saver J if flying on average to peak days of the week.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by chicago747
At the very least shouldn't they at least open up some C availability? If J is indeed only 45% filled but the plane is oversold in Y

It's full/oversold in all classes. Every seat on the flight is sold. There are two classes on the flight - Business (J) and Main Cabin (Y). J0 and Y0 mean Business is sold out and Main Cabin is sold out.

A seat map being 45% full means nothing but 45% of the seats in the cabin have been assigned.
adunker likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 11:03 pm

Programs: Costco Executive Member, Amazon Optimus Prime
A rare happy experience to report for a sAAver redemption.

Was able to book a few days ago a 4 pack of SMF>LAX>EGE round trips for spring break 2018, at not just sAAver level prices, but also with the Citi reduced mileage levels, and the additional rebates.

Booked the exact same flights a year ago, and it was 80k for 4 pack of one ways, and this year 63k for round trips.

So, this new married segment capacity increase for sAAvers is showing up in the flights I'm looking for.

I'd pretty much stopped gathering AAvantage miles, and was just burning them off, but if this is not just a fluke, and I could reliably get flights I cared about, even with a connection, I might care more about the program.

Don't think we're going to do Europe this summer, but was also surprised to see a few reasonable routings pop up to get to the continent, on AA own metal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.