Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS 757-200 / B75E ETOPS "East" (transat) [NONE LEFT Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Legacy US Airways "East" "Transatlantic" ETOPS version of Boeing 757-200 (B75E)

Up front: This aircraft had three rows of 2 x 2 "Envoy" class 60" pitch, 19.5" wide angled flat seats in 2 x 2 configuration (12 seats).

Originally Posted by arc727
4 Dec 2017 So, interestingly enough, there are no more 757s flying around in the "East" configuration. The last one, N941UW, was retired just a few days ago. Meanwhile, N939UW and N206UW were converted to the "Hawaii" configuration with domestic First seats.
Link to SeatGuru seating chart.

Seat 1-C from aztimm
  • Seat 3A is said to have impaired recline

• 3D will usually be blocked for the PNF (Pilot Not Flying) on transatlantic flights.

• The forward cabin has one lav forward and port (left).

In Economy: Mostly 32" pitch, 17" width seats in 3 x 3 configuration (170 seats).

The good:
  • The greatest seat pitch is in 7A, B, C and F, with no seats close in front of these because of the exit row. 6C and D are in midst of the exit row.

• Row 24 are exit row seats with great seat pitch.

• All these are narrower, with immovable arm rests holding the folded tray tabe. Exit row seats can be colder. Under seat bags may be restricted in the seats in front of you.
The bad:
  • Row 23 is against the aft bulkhead in this cabin section, against the lavs; they do not recline.

• Row 32 is the last row and close to the galley and it's attendant noise.
Beginning in April 2018, the B75Es will be put on mainland - Hawaii runs where 757-200s are used; the existing B75H will be returned to their lessor. (Thanks to TWA884 - see here.)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS 757-200 / B75E ETOPS "East" (transat) [NONE LEFT Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by joeyE
So I'm on AA798 PHL-AMS, departing Aug 30, flying coach.
I'm reading where this LUS B757 plane is due to be swapped out for a newer LAA B757, right around next week.
Any idea if it'll be on the newer version by then?
If so, is it noticeably improved for the coach passenger? Better IFE?
It'll be the LUS version, when it's changed to a LAA 75L, the flight number will be changing to a LAA flight number as well.

In J it's a major improvement, in coach, I guess it would depend what you're into. IFE is mildly improved, still overhead, but the screens are better. Other differences: movable winged headrests, and changed exit row configuration.

The LUS plane has better legroom in Y-, but the LAA plane has MCE. I'd say the LAA 757 interior is in somehwat better shape as well.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by joeyE
So I'm on AA798 PHL-AMS, departing Aug 30, flying coach.
I'm reading where this LUS B757 plane is due to be swapped out for a newer LAA B757, right around next week.
Any idea if it'll be on the newer version by then?
If so, is it noticeably improved for the coach passenger? Better IFE?
No, they swap the planes on 09/07. You can see it on the flight number. LAA 757 has flight number 204.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:56 am

Booked pmUS 757 DUB-CLT -- how big a mistake did I make?

I cheaped out and bought the cheapest ticket for an upcoming trip which goes DUB-CLT-DFW. The DUB-CLT is on a pmUS 757 which it turns out has no real MCE seats, no entertainment, no anything from the 21st century it looks like.

How much credence should I even give to the seat plan anyways? It looks like this route is on a 333 until just a week or so before my flight when it switches.

I can deal with no entertainment, I'll just take a hard drive full of tv shows and movies for my laptop.

Am I better off with one of the "MCE" seats that are really an exit aisle? I hate those tray tables in the armrest and the online seat descriptions make it sound like they don't really have much extra space. But if I want to use my laptop for entertainment every millimeter of space makes a difference.

I decided it wasn't worth the copay to upgrade to the subpar J on this plane. Are the chances of opups on these planes any higher than other aircraft? Does AA even consider non-AA OW status for opups?

Also, anyone know if OW Sapphire on AA out of DUB get access to the "51st State" lounge post US preclearance?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: AA, BA
I'll keep it simple. The LUS 757 is the worst plane in the fleet for transatlantic travel.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:10 am

It's nothing special. The interior's worn, real worn. With that being said, Y has decent pitch (though that might be undone by the oldschool non-slimline seats), the seats are quite padded, though they do lack (as do all LUS planes, except for the A319) a winged adjustable headseat. Row 24 or 7 ABC is your best bet for legroom. Prop your feet up on your rollaboard and it'll be a pretty decent trip.

See the following thread for further info: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html

Last edited by Djokison; Aug 26, 2016 at 7:34 am
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:13 am

Programs: AA EXP
I flew CLT-DUB on the last flight of the year in 2015 in the LUS 757. Though I flew J, I can confirm it is the worst TATL plane in the entire AA fleet (maybe of all US TATL carriers?). Its right out of the late 1990s. The J seat was adequate but not worth the price. However, The Service was among the best I've ever had on AA. The FA working the (very small) J cabin was OUTSTANDING. As far as Y. as Djokison Said, go with 7ABC. Its in a "mini"cabin forward of the boarding door. Those seats are far more private, have more room, and you'll be first off the plane. You also wont have everyone walking past you during boarding.

Edit: Forgot to mention my return flight! I flew DUB-PHL on my return in J on the A332. Decent leg room for Y and the IFE was pretty good. I was able to watch a movie or two and even get a nap in (I was in DUB for 36 hours). The service was a C. Not great not terrible.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:15 am

I find in these circumstances that as long as you're mentally ready and prepared for what you've gotten yourself into and have expectations set appropriately then all is fine. It sounds like you have - you got a cheap ticket and you're going to be in an exit row and you have made accommodations for your entertainment. I'm sure it'll be fine.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by FlyingLaw
As far as Y. as Djokison Said, go with 7ABC. Its in a "mini"cabin forward of the boarding door. Those seats are far more private, have more room, and you'll be first off the plane. You also wont have everyone walking past you during boarding.
Hm. My seat layout doesn't match that. It shows rows 4 and 5 in the minicabin. Row 7 is the first row of the main cabin. Seatguru calls this "v5" and the one you describe "v4". Are some planes renovated? Is it possible this isn't going to be as bad as I feared?

I currently have 4D and 4F for my outbound and return. This has the bulkhead in front which I fear means no underseat storage. It also means no lying down if or even spreading out if there's a seat next to me free.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Am I missing something here? Are there some LUS 757s which do not have the overhead TV monitors for IFE in coach (like the LAA 757s and 763s)? Because the ones I flew on did.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 3:53 am

Originally Posted by Fanjet
Am I missing something here? Are there some LUS 757s which do not have the overhead TV monitors for IFE in coach (like the LAA 757s and 763s)? Because the ones I flew on did.
The last time I was on a plane with overhead entertainment screens was 2007 and the movie was the Kite Runner -- in the native Dari dialect of Farsi with subtitles that were utterly illegible from five feet away on those tiny screens let alone twenty or thirty feet away.

So yeah, if you want to watch a movie you're not interested in at an uncomfortable angle above your head on a screen that's too small to see too far away, sure there's entertainment using technology that was obsolete ten years ago. But realistically in 2016 overhead screens don't really count any more.

Last edited by zkzkz; Aug 29, 2016 at 4:01 am
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Fanjet
The LUS 757s have them but the quality is pretty bad. The one near my row had lines on them the entire time. It was great timing that my iPad suddenly wanted to connect to the internet to re-verify my Comcast account and my amazon prime account, so none of my stored content worked. So I was stuck with the fuzzy monitor 3 rows up from me.

On the + side, the LUS 757s have comfortable seats and decent pitch ^
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: DL (ex-NW) Plat pining for self-serve WC's and real cheese
Originally Posted by zkzkz
The last time I was on a plane with overhead entertainment screens was 2007 and the movie was the Kite Runner -- in the native Dari dialect of Farsi with subtitles that were utterly illegible from five feet away on those tiny screens let alone twenty or thirty feet away.

So yeah, if you want to watch a movie you're not interested in at an uncomfortable angle above your head on a screen that's too small to see too far away, sure there's entertainment using technology that was obsolete ten years ago. But realistically in 2016 overhead screens don't really count any more.
Guess you haven't taken too many AA domestic 737's, then? Pretty common to get one with the overhead screens, not personal seatback.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 2:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Ughly! Flying PHL-LIS in this old dog in retrograde Business class in October. 220,000 miles plus $11.20 for two.

OTOH, other days they wanted 270,000 miles for two! And for one ways AA wanted $3,373 per person one way IN COACH, $$5,742 in Business. Because it's one way, repositioning to catch a cruise.

All that were left were 1A-1C on the transat.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
Ughly! Flying PHL-LIS in this old dog in retrograde Business class in October. 220,000 miles plus $11.20 for two.

OTOH, other days they wanted 270,000 miles for two! And for one ways AA wanted $3,373 per person one way IN COACH, $$5,742 in Business. Because it's one way, repositioning to catch a cruise.

All that were left were 1A-1C on the transat.
You'll live :-) LIS is one of those routes that AA probably wouldn't be able to sustain with larger aircraft. It is a shame these 757s haven't had interior investments made, though with one of the legacy AA ones apparently moving to PHL-AMS soon hopefully other routes will follow.
Old Sep 1, 2016, 8:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by phlwookie
You'll live :-) LIS is one of those routes that AA probably wouldn't be able to sustain with larger aircraft. It is a shame these 757s haven't had interior investments made, though with one of the legacy AA ones apparently moving to PHL-AMS soon hopefully other routes will follow.
Agree. I've survived JFK-JNB, LAX-SYD etc. in coach, not to mention military transports including "Old Shakey" (C-124 Globemaster).

Now that the first 757 is out with the same seats in J as the A321T, I wonder if we'll eventually (in AA speak, what, 2020?) see these on AMS, DUB, LIS etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.