Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS 757-200 / B75E ETOPS "East" (transat) [NONE LEFT Dec 2017]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 30, 2015, 6:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Legacy US Airways "East" "Transatlantic" ETOPS version of Boeing 757-200 (B75E)

Up front: This aircraft had three rows of 2 x 2 "Envoy" class 60" pitch, 19.5" wide angled flat seats in 2 x 2 configuration (12 seats).

Originally Posted by arc727
4 Dec 2017 So, interestingly enough, there are no more 757s flying around in the "East" configuration. The last one, N941UW, was retired just a few days ago. Meanwhile, N939UW and N206UW were converted to the "Hawaii" configuration with domestic First seats.
Link to SeatGuru seating chart.

Seat 1-C from aztimm
  • Seat 3A is said to have impaired recline

• 3D will usually be blocked for the PNF (Pilot Not Flying) on transatlantic flights.

• The forward cabin has one lav forward and port (left).

In Economy: Mostly 32" pitch, 17" width seats in 3 x 3 configuration (170 seats).

The good:
  • The greatest seat pitch is in 7A, B, C and F, with no seats close in front of these because of the exit row. 6C and D are in midst of the exit row.

• Row 24 are exit row seats with great seat pitch.

• All these are narrower, with immovable arm rests holding the folded tray tabe. Exit row seats can be colder. Under seat bags may be restricted in the seats in front of you.
The bad:
  • Row 23 is against the aft bulkhead in this cabin section, against the lavs; they do not recline.

• Row 32 is the last row and close to the galley and it's attendant noise.
Beginning in April 2018, the B75Es will be put on mainland - Hawaii runs where 757-200s are used; the existing B75H will be returned to their lessor. (Thanks to TWA884 - see here.)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS 757-200 / B75E ETOPS "East" (transat) [NONE LEFT Dec 2017]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by NathanM
I DID check before I bought. I was out on the BA A380 and back on this! Seat guru said the seats were angled lie flat so I certainly wasn't expecting this!
Your first mistake was checking/trusting seatguru.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I didn't think seatguru actually has this configuration - I found it on seat expert where it is described as sleeper seats with 160 degree recline

One reason AA can probably get away with it is that there is no other carrier operating that route. In order to get a better seat, it would require adding travel time by taking an indirect route
Seatguru has this version on the site and it does say "angle-flat." But it's not like
Seatguru is known to be right.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JDiver

If seating is important and one doesn't mind connecting, there are alternatives even operated by AA.
As I said, would need an indirect route ; for a flight time of 6 hours , I would suspect that AA does ok with it - the only other AA 1 stop option to get to DUB seems to be by going via London on a codeshare on BA. Instead of 6.5 hours scheduled journey, this blows out to 9.5 hours journey
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Djokison

Seatguru has this version on the site and it does say "angle-flat." But it's not like
Seatguru is known to be right.
Ya, I did just find that version on seatguru
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I DID check before I bought. I was out on the BA A380 and back on this! Seat guru said the seats were angled lie flat so I certainly wasn't expecting this!
Oh, well if SeatGuru said it, it must be true!

but this is embarrassing for them surely!? The angled lie-flats are outdated but at least comfortable, but this is horrible. I thought OW had an agreement that all J seats on TATL flights would be lie flat?
Well, if that was the case, then why were you okay with the angled-flat you thought based on SeatGuru?
(For the record, that agreement, which I don't know offhand when it was originally scheduled to take place, has apparently been postponed given the problems AA has had with Zodiac, the seat manufacturer for the 772 refurbishments. Not sure how the pre-merger US aircraft fit into this though.)
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Often1
What made you expect the angled lie-flat (according to AA - not Seat Guru)? Nowhere does AA or any other carrier even remotely suggest that the aircraft on this route has that amenity (or anything else).
To be a little fair to the OP, where would you actually suggest he find out what type of seating is on this plane?

It's not like there's much information on the AA website about their fleet. The official seat maps seem to be gone AFAICT, and there's no 12 J-seat version even listed on aa.com.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

seatguru doesn't list these. It's an ex-US 757 aircraft with the recliner-style Envoy seating in J. US had 15 of these (according to Wikipedia) at the time the merger finalized. Oops, I now see this with merged into another thread explaining the details. oh well, nevermind.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ
seatguru doesn't list these. It's an ex-US 757 aircraft with the recliner-style Envoy seating in J. US had 15 of these (according to Wikipedia) at the time the merger finalized. Oops, I now see this with merged into another thread explaining the details. oh well, nevermind.
It's listed under 757 V5.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 2:39 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA, BA, Accor, Honors Diamond, IHG Diamond Elite and lots more....
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I do not see that there is anything to complain about per se. It doesn't sound like there was anything wrong with the seat/service in relation to receiving what you booked , just that you didn't like it
Not always true. AA have replaced the A330 with this plane on many of the DUB/PHL flights.

I know mine was switched. So not what we booked.

The daft thing is my onward flight is the same number but that is an A330.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Djokison
It's listed under 757 V5.
Okay, I see now that I was confused by the fact that seatguru says they are angle lie-flat's, when they are actually just recliners.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Was recently on this plane in Y. It's a rickety old POS - really not much grey area. The seat pitch in Y is like RyanAir. I walked by the J seats on my way off and indeed they are old recliners.

I can't imagine this cabin interior will be around for long.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ceasy
Was recently on this plane in Y. It's a rickety old POS - really not much grey area. The seat pitch in Y is like RyanAir. I walked by the J seats on my way off and indeed they are old recliners.

I can't imagine this cabin interior will be around for long.
Well, it has more pitch than any of the new deliveries.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ccengct
Yes it's disappointing but frankly it's a waste of time to complain. Everybody knows the 757s are tired aircraft that will be retired within a few years. By the way I'll be flying an AA 757 on TATL later this week.
They're actually great planes for domestic flying. I'd never book one for a TATL though.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
but this is embarrassing for them surely!? The angled lie-flats are outdated but at least comfortable, but this is horrible. I thought OW had an agreement that all J seats on TATL flights would be lie flat?
That seems to the the great unknown. I remember reading a few weeks ago that IB was delaying the retirement of their A343s. Which have the old business class seats on them. So maybe that's why lie-flat TATL flying is still not systemwide on AA. It could also be an issue with finding a reliable supplier for the new 757 J seats.

As for the old J seats on US. Those should be going away regardless. As those aircraft are being converted to 12F/176Y.
Old Feb 22, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Originally Posted by Piedmont767
It will probably be better.
It was ... they flight attendant gave me a big bottle of bacardi because they were out of the little bottles I asked for. I finished about a 1/3 ... slept well ^
Old Apr 8, 2016, 11:26 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Bummer, I just saw that my CLT-DUB J flight in August was switched from an A330 to this plane. It looks miserable. How bad is it? I booked with miles, so should I just get it refunded and go economy to save a bit?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.