Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:54 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by anabolism
I'm not aware that there ever was such a rule. It was sometimes the case, but at least for the past 15 years or so, availability can vary.
Interesting.

I'm also finding that QF domestic connections are limited. Choice appears defined by arrival flight/carrier, despite those particular legs being available for AAward booking individually. I use to choose connection from list of single flight availability.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Hello folks!

First time around the AA forum.... be kind with my ignorance!

I am currently having a hard time ticketing a flight with AA miles operated by Qantas.

Quite a few flights appear to have some sort of "ghost" availability. Specifically, I was looking for SCL-SYD in J class and although the website does list the flight and the U booking class, it does not go through after you select the flights.

I have given AA a call and they dimissed it saying that since it does not take me to the payment page it means there is no availability so I should just try again. I tried maybe 15 different date combinations and it never went through.

The Brazilian agent who was speaking to me said "Well, tough luck!" and told me to keep trying if I wanted to, but there was nothing they could do about it. Is this a common glitch on AA website? Carrier specific?

I have just started crediting to AA and I was quite surprised with the dimissive tone of it all.....

Thanks for the help!
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by GRUflyer
Quite a few flights appear to have some sort of "ghost" availability. Specifically, I was looking for SCL-SYD in J class and although the website does list the flight and the U booking class, it does not go through after you select the flights.
Welcome!

Are you looking on AA's website or Qantas's? It might be easier to try to find availability on Qantas first and then call AA to book. I did that a couple of years ago for our return trip from SYD.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, LH FTL, FB Gold, LATAM Black Signature
Originally Posted by DVDBob
Welcome!

Are you looking on AA's website or Qantas's? It might be easier to try to find availability on Qantas first and then call AA to book. I did that a couple of years ago for our return trip from SYD.
Thanks a lot for the quick reply.

I was looking at AAs website, both old and new versions.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

....Quite a few flights appear to have some sort of "ghost" availability. Specifically, I was looking for SCL-SYD in J class and although the website does list the flight and the U booking class, it does not go through after you select the flights.
LATAM fly SCL-SYD, SCL--MEL and SCL-AKL. But getting award flight with AA ff miles on LATAM may be harder.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

I have given AA a call and they dimissed it saying that since it does not take me to the payment page it means there is no availability so I should just try again. I tried maybe 15 different date combinations and it never went through.

The Brazilian agent who was speaking to me said "Well, tough luck!" and told me to keep trying if I wanted to, but there was nothing they could do about it. Is this a common glitch on AA website? Carrier specific?

I have just started crediting to AA and I was quite surprised with the dimissive tone of it all.....

Thanks for the help!
Yep, phantom availability, extremely annoying when it happens. The space is not really there so no phone agent can book it, just an aa.com glitch.

Phantom / false AA award availability with AA partners (master thd)
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:02 am

nothing from australia to the us for the whole US summer
Old Dec 28, 2019, 9:51 am

Found business tickets on qantas but not showing on ba but does show shadow on aa? Is this a common occurrence now? Called in and they couldn’t find seats
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Qantas business to US, then domestic connection limited. AA domestic first not = business?.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 2:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LukeO9
Qantas business to US, then domestic connection limited. AA domestic first not = business?.
Domestic 1st class, on an aeroplane offering 2 classes of travel, uses business class inventory, so a business class award can book into this cabin
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:03 am

Business Class Availability

If I see 2 business class seats on a Transpacific Qantas flight (BNE-SFO) using my AA miles, are those the same 2 seats I see when I search on Alaska's website for the same Qantas flight?

Travelling with a family of 4, so was wondering if I could get 2 Biz class seats using my AA miles, and then another 2 using my AS miles, for the same Qantas flight

My gut tells me it's the same 2 seats and once I purchase one pair of Biz class seats, the availability will disappear on the other (or will ticket and then be rejected later).

So do AS and AA use the same "bucket" of award seats on QF? or is each airline allotted their own supply of award seats on QF?

When I check expertflyer, it's showing 0 availability, so I don't trust expertflyer to be accurate

Last edited by kayexalate; Feb 6, 2020 at 10:39 am
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kayexalate
If I see 2 business class seats on a Transpacific Qantas flight (BNE-SFO) using my AA miles, are those the same 2 seats I see when I search on Alaska's website for the same Qantas flight?
Travelling with a family of 4, so was wondering if I could get 2 Biz class seats using my AA miles, and then another 2 using my AS miles, for the same Qantas flight
My gut tells me it's the same 2 seats and once I purchase one pair of Biz class seats, the availability will disappear on the other (or will ticket and then be rejected later).
So do AS and AA use the same "bucket" of award seats on QF? or is each airline allotted their own supply of award seats on QF?
When I check expertflyer, it's showing 0 availability, so I don't trust expertflyer to be accurate
Yes. I would expect the same 2 seats are being to all of QF's ff partner for awards.
Hoping to get 4 business class award seats on the same flight is being optimistic.
Once awards are claimed no one knows if more award seats will be offered for that flight.
If you see 2 AUST<--->USA business award seats grab them. Now. Easy to cancel later if you have to. And then keep looking for 2 more seats for any route/date. Need to be flexible. QF also fly BNE LAX
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Yes. I would expect the same 2 seats are being to all of QF's ff partner for awards.
Hoping to get 4 business class award seats on the same flight is being optimistic.
Once awards are claimed no one knows if more award seats will be offered fot that flight.
If you see 2 USA AU business award seats grab them. Now. Easy to cancel later if you have to. And then keep looking for 2 more seats or any route/date. Need to be flexible. QF also fly BNE LAX
I figured. Actually for quite awhile, there were 4+ Business seats on QF flights for BNE-SFO (and vice versa). Likely because it's new route and less people know about it. there still are quite a few dates with 4 business class seats on the same flight, but just not on the date I want to travel on unfortunately. Our family doesn't want to be split up (young children), so unless I can get all 4 of us in business class (which I know, is a lot to ask for and generally extremely unlikely), I'd rather book us all in Economy or Prem Economy.

Grabbing the 2 seats in Business and then cancelling later is only good for me for 24 hours since after that I'll have to pay $150 p +$25 per add'l person to cancel/change since I have no elite status.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Once awards are claimed no one knows if more award seats will be offered for that flight.
If you see 2 AUST<--->USA business award seats grab them. Now. Easy to cancel later if you have to. And then keep looking for 2 more seats for any route/date. Need to be flexible. QF also fly BNE LAX
Got the holy grail of flights--was able to score 4 Business class seats for SYD-BNE(Stop)-SFO. All on the same flight, all in business class on the exact dates I wanted.
Mwenenzi and pschafer like this.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by kayexalate
Got the holy grail of flights--was able to score 4 Business class seats for SYD-BNE(Stop)-SFO. All on the same flight, all in business class on the exact dates I wanted.

Congrats! Four seats on the new route is pretty impressive.

The only thing better is AA Qantas Award LAX-MEL in F. ;-) and I fly next week! :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.