Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 14, 2015, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

The basics:
QF releases their awards from 353 days out to QF FF's and some ffp's (Amadeus CRS). So at the 331 days (~Sabre CRS) AA for award release there are scant seats left. They tend to add more much closer to the day of flight, if there are seats available.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: For US flights it has been my recent, but limited experience that QF releases award availability around 10-11 months from departure. Consider searching for one seat in F and one in J as well.

Consider alternate cities. E.g. Flights to BNE might be easier to book with AA miles than SYD or MEL, so adding a segment from BNE might give you a trip denied by connecting in SYD. You might have to remind AA reservationists, because they might not consider BNE.

Consider alternate airlines, such as HA from HNL, TN via PPT, FJ via NAN, etc.

N.B. Travel via Honolulu, or Asia (e.g. HKG or NRT), will require two awards.

aa.com occasionally may report "phantom availability" of premium awards on Qantas.

2017.07.08 edit by FlyerTalkUserName: Conversely, aa.com occasionally may not show available Qantas awards. Use BA's search tool, QF's search tool, or service like ExpertFlyer to see availability. Call in to ticket.

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
BA only shows 3 cabins in output. When searching for award seats, make sure to select 1st class as cabin and it will show premium economy, business and 1st rather than economy, premium economy and business

It only displays flights where there is a seat in at least one cabin. If there is no availability on the flight in any cabin, then the flight will not be displayed.
The aa.com oneworld and Other Airline Award Chart may be seen here, for required miles and restrictions on connections.

Note: Reservation speculating, or tying up award space to "flip" in (or out of) Coupon Connection will not be tolerated. If you have an "extra" reservation, simply cancel or refund it. This will not be allowed in this forum either.

Qantas Routes
To be updated
SYD to LAX, DFW, HNL and YVR. SYD SFO restart delayed
BNE to LAX
MEL to LAX and DFW
SYD AKL JFK from 14 June 2023

Notes
Routes can change, so please check the schedule.
During low seasons some routes may not have flights every day.
Not all flights/routes have first class. Only the QF A380 aircraft have has first class.
QF have retired all B747's and sent them to the Mojave desert (July 2020)

+++++++++++++++++
/Moderator

Older posts have been archived to ARCHIVE: AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF)

Note: Older posts have been archived off to this thread

Updates & edits
20 May 2016 - JDiver
23 Sept 2019 - Mwenenzi QF routes added
11 Mar 2020 - Mwenenzi QF route changes
31 Jul 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B747 retired. More Covid-19 announcements from QF
07 Aug 2020 - Mwenenzi QF B787 to storage
12 Nov 2021 - Mwenenzi QF announcements 3 off
05 Mar 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements
12 Jun 2022 - Mwenenzi QF announcements removed (except 2) as AU fully open & QF flying AU<--->USA
24 Dec 2022 - Mwenenzi QF post CV19 announcements removed. MELDFW route added

THIS WIKI IS UNDER CONSTRUCTION. PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD VALUE.
Print Wikipost

AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
I've found x-HKG(CX)-SYD(QF) is 2 AAwards when x = SIN,BKK, but not TPE. Any other CX port in S.E.Asia as x to yield 1 AAward?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LukeO9
I've found x-HKG(CX)-SYD(QF) is 2 AAwards when x = SIN,BKK, but not TPE. Any other CX port in S.E.Asia as x to yield 1 AAward?
Doubt it because QF probably does not have any published fares that have backtracking from SE Asia to HKG then onto SYD.
The breakage is not due to CX but is QF does not have the published fares for the x-HKG-SYD. QF is the "governing carrier" in your routes.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Happy
QF probably does not have any published fares that have backtracking from SE Asia to HKG then onto SYD.
They have TPE...any others?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 7:09 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
I found 2 F award seats on QF7, SYD-DFW for later this year. I just started an Expert Flyer subscription yesterday. Saw the seats today, called in, and the agent saw it too, and I grabbed it. She asked, "you only want one way?" I answered, "it doesn't look like there's outbound availability now, but I want to grab this while I can." We're pretty flexible, and I'll keep looking. There's some outbound availability on HA through HNL, AA/QF through HKG, and probably more.

The whole transaction was rather painless. I'm not sure why this didn't show on the AA site though, as they supposedly should show QF.

There was another day with 2 more seats on QF7...shoot me a PM if you are interested.
FlyerTalkUserName likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by aztimm
I found 2 F award seats on QF7, SYD-DFW for later this year. I just started an Expert Flyer subscription yesterday. Saw the seats today, called in, and the agent saw it too, and I grabbed it. She asked, "you only want one way?" I answered, "it doesn't look like there's outbound availability now, but I want to grab this while I can." We're pretty flexible, and I'll keep looking. There's some outbound availability on HA through HNL, AA/QF through HKG, and probably more.

The whole transaction was rather painless. I'm not sure why this didn't show on the AA site though, as they supposedly should show QF.

There was another day with 2 more seats on QF7...shoot me a PM if you are interested.
Nice. SYD-DFW and vv seems to be the route that’s easiest to snag between Australia and the US mainland.

I mentioned it in the wiki but AA’s site seems to be unreliable when showing QF space. Unfortunate for some, but worked in your favor, and mine.
aztimm likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName

Nice. SYD-DFW and vv seems to be the route that’s easiest to snag between Australia and the US mainland.

I mentioned it in the wiki but AA’s site seems to be unreliable when showing QF space. Unfortunate for some, but worked in your favor, and mine.

Thanks for all of the notes in the Wiki! I saw your comment about the AA site not showing QF, which is why I decided to try Expert Flyer. And I lucked into finding some seats almost immediately. For some reason I thought EF would be tough to figure out, but it is very easy.

Maybe I'll hold out for a bit on the outbound in hopes that some J or F award space opens on QF8/DFW-SYD. That would be ideal, as we can just drive and leave the car at DFW (and leave the dogs with friends in Dallas too!). I've heard of some crazy award routes, and it would be great if I can keep this simple.
I wish there was a way to set an alert for QF...but unfortunately, if there isn't availability, the flight doesn't even show, so you can't do an alert. Unless I'm doing something wrong.
I did set alerts for both award and upgrade availability for the AA LAX-SYD flight.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by aztimm
Thanks for all of the notes in the Wiki! I saw your comment about the AA site not showing QF, which is why I decided to try Expert Flyer. And I lucked into finding some seats almost immediately. For some reason I thought EF would be tough to figure out, but it is very easy.

Maybe I'll hold out for a bit on the outbound in hopes that some J or F award space opens on QF8/DFW-SYD. That would be ideal, as we can just drive and leave the car at DFW (and leave the dogs with friends in Dallas too!). I've heard of some crazy award routes, and it would be great if I can keep this simple.
I wish there was a way to set an alert for QF...but unfortunately, if there isn't availability, the flight doesn't even show, so you can't do an alert. Unless I'm doing something wrong.
I did set alerts for both award and upgrade availability for the AA LAX-SYD flight.
Glad I could help! I believe you can set alerts by searching via the “Flight Availability” tool on EF, which will show flights with revenue fare availability. Then you can click on the exclamation point to set up an alert and manually input the award fare code.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by FlyerTalkUserName

Glad I could help! I believe you can set alerts by searching via the “Flight Availability” tool on EF, which will show flights with revenue fare availability. Then you can click on the exclamation point to set up an alert and manually input the award fare code.
It must be my lucky day

I logged into Expert Flyer today, and found 2 biz seats for SFO-MEL. Not ideal, but I'll take it, and if something better comes along...such as DFW-SYD, then I'll switch.
This one I was able to book through the AA site. Couldn't select seats, but I can call QF after it all gets ticketed.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: United, American, Singapore Air, Southwest
Using AA miles for award travel

Trying to use AA miles for award travel is proving difficult. Looking into July and trying to book a business ticket from TUS to BNE shows a number of available options. However when I go to book, on every option I get a message saying that the flight is no longer available. This is despite that the booking web site has for several weeks, and continues to show these as available under business saver. Is AA being deceptive here? Any suggestions?
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:04 pm

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Sadly, 'phantom award' availability for QF flights is a known problem
See the wiki in this thread - AA miles awards: using / redeeming AA miles on Qantas (QF) & related (consolidated)
Old Feb 27, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
If your travel is definite/important/etc., you might want to try an "award booking service":

Award booking services - a list and some reviews

We've had terrific flights with this help, including CX and JL F seats, where there are only 6 or 8 seats to begin with.

I got our first F awards on JL easily, leading me to think it would "always be like that" - Ha!
Then reality hit...

Anyway, there are modest fees involved, but given the value of F seats (or even J seats), it was well worth it for us, vs. possibly not getting the awards seats at all.

GC
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Lifetime, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Call AA and book the award mileage with them directly.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kenlawdavis
Trying to use AA miles for award travel is proving difficult. Looking into July and trying to book a business ticket from TUS to BNE shows a number of available options. However when I go to book, on every option I get a message saying that the flight is no longer available. This is despite that the booking web site has for several weeks, and continues to show these as available under business saver. Is AA being deceptive here? Any suggestions?
Look for the hard long haul flight first: USA to Australia.
Need to be flexible with dates & routes
AA fly LAX-SYD
QF fly LAX-BNE/SYD/MEL, SFO-SYD and DFW-SYD.
Then USA/Aust domestic flights as needed with cash or ff miles.

AA also flys LAX-AKL, but may be suspended for the (southern hemisphere) winter, like in 2017

AA Australia New Zealand
AAdvantage award to / from Australia, New Zealand (master thread)

AA Qantas
Old Mar 12, 2018, 8:45 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Snagged two F LAX-MEL last week for travel 12/18. Was shocked when I happened upon them and snatched them up - very pleased they weren't phantom.
Old Mar 19, 2018, 2:45 am

Programs: HHonors Gold
How long to issue tickets on QF

Hi everyone,
I booked tickets for my parents on QF using my miles AKL-KGI via PER ~3 days ago.

I can see the flights on the QF, but no miles have been deducted, and the QF site says no baggage is included (flights all in J).

Is this normal, should I just give it a few more days for tickets to be issued and miles to be deducted?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.