Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SIZE="4"]AA "instant upgrade" (-UP) fare

Click here for the current thread.
[/SIZE]

These are often referred to as "instant upgrade" fares; they upgrade into the class of service P, A or I internationally with positive space; OSO / schedule disruptions mean unless the P, A, D, I etc. fare is offered on the new flight they "downgrade" to Coach on the next available flight. (One can wait for the next flight with P, A, D, I available, but this might require overnights etc. at one's expense.)

Purchasers should carefully read the Detailed Fare Rules, as many of these are, as essentially "instant upgrades", punitive in effect during IROPS / OSO", "change of gauge" aircraft substitutions, cancellations and missed connections because if the necessary fare inventory isn't available one is generally given the option to fly now, in Economy, or wait until such inventory becomes available (which may entail hours or days at the passenger's own expense).

The detailed fare codes for these flights might look like (international) GNE7C0Z1/CRUP or SNE7C0Z1/CRUP, Lxxxx, etc. Reaccommodation in Coach: these particular sample fates will be treated like an N class fare. As well: "The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary. In addition other fare rules may apply."

In the detailed fare rules, instant upgrade fares may include something like this:

ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
E.G. During irregular operations or missed connections, one may continue in that class of service if A, P, D, I etc. as applicable is available, or the passenger can take a voluntary downgrade to the lower class of service / Y on an earlier flight. Some may do this if waiting for A, P or I requires one or more overnights.

Refunds may be limited to $0.50 per mile to a maximum of $50 per downgraded segment, and are limited to vouchers good for future travel on AA.

Link to compensation offered for an involuntary downgrade of "instant upgrade" fares:

Instant Upgrade tickets are booked in the Main Cabin. However, Instant upgrade ticketholders who travel in the Main Cabin due to an involuntary seat change, equipment change, routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection as a result of a late incoming flight may request a travel voucher. The voucher value shall be equal to $0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin. Refunds will be rounded to the nearest whole dollar amount, and can be requested at www.aa.com/refunds.
One explanatory post (15 Apr 2015) might be:

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Just moments ago, I priced out a trip from LAX to DFW, and two different discounted First Class ticket options were presented, the fare class of one was SA00ZNI1 (books into P) and the other was MA00ZRI1 (books into A).

At the bottom of the purchase summary screen, AA provides this warning:

■ First/Business Fares may be an Instant Upgrade and therefore subject to restrictions.
The fare rules for both tickets provide the following as the last entry:

Rule Application
and Other Conditions

NOTE THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
Why does this matter? Because if I buy either of these tickets and then I decide that I want to fly an earlier or later flight, these fares will not permit me to walk up to the counter and claim a last-minute F seat if my capacity-controlled inventory is not available. For instance, if that last F seat is in F (not P or A), then I'd have to pay the fare difference in order to confirm a change to that seat.

We can (and have for years and years) argued around here that these fare practices are misleading - and I agree. Nevertheless, AA is most certainly still selling what it considers to be "instant upgrade" fares, and savvy travelers should read the fare rules* and plan accordingly.

*Or at least download them to your hard drive as a pdf at the time of reservation/purchase so that others might help decipher them when things go inverted. So often around here, people post questions where reading the fare rules is vital to an accurate answer, and they respond "who reads/saves those when buying a ticket?"

Back to the OP's question: How to find instant upgrade tickets? Nearly every domestic first class fare I've seen on aa.com is an instant upgrade ticket. Finding a domestic first class fare that isn't an instant upgrade fare is quite a chore. The OP can rest assured that if their fare books in P, A or F, they're going to earn their hoped-for tier points. As Microwave pointed out, the best/correct place for that discussion is in the British Airways forum where there are numerous BAEC members with experience in buying and flying on AA's instant upgrade F tickets.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:12 pm

Buy upgraded vs. instant upgrade ????

I am AAdvantage Member how ever im new and don't have any points. I am looking to upgrade to First or Biz Class. I could buy the instant upgrade @$466 or buy super saver @147 and upgrade at kiosk @ 30 per 500 miles. Im going 1666 miles it would cost around $90. How ever This the only non stop flight from BDL To SJU and the cheapest ...My concern is I an overcowded plane and no seat avalible in higher class. If it is cowded Iwill lose with either choice.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:15 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you can't upgrade using stickers (30 per 500 sic) unless you are gold, plat, executive plat, or purchase a full fare economy (y/b) fare.
Old Jul 10, 2011, 11:59 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Also 1666 is 4 x 500 Miles sectors.

Incidently what route at 1666 miles has First and Business Class cabins
Old Jul 11, 2011, 12:02 am

Programs: AA EXP - 2MM +, CO, US, UA,SPG, Hertz Presidents Club
If want a confirmed upgrade, buy the instant upgrade.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:19 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, FB Plat, AS Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont Plat, BA wannabe
Originally Posted by UncleDude
Also 1666 is 4 x 500 Miles sectors.

Incidently what route at 1666 miles has First and Business Class cabins
Actually the OP noted a First or Business Class cabin.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 1:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA 1K, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HNL
you can't upgrade using stickers (30 per 500 sic) unless you are gold, plat, executive plat, or purchase a full fare economy (y/b) fare.
I think the OP might have the LFBU (Load Factor Based Upgrades) available at the kiosk confused with sticker upgrades which are earned or purchased once you are an elite member.

OP - if you were to take the chance at a kiosk based upgrade; 1) you are taking your chances, it may not be available and 2) I don't know the specifics of how much the upgrade will cost but a search for LFBU may provide you with more info. I think the rules for the cost for LFBU are different than the costs associated with "sticker" upgrades. Check the wiki as well.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by cjhoney
.My concern is I an overcowded plane and no seat avalible in higher class. If it is cowded Iwill lose with either choice.
The instant upgrade fare books you a confirmed seat in the premium cabin. Even if the flight fills up, that seat is yours, the same as if you had purchased a full fare business/first fare. Generally, the only time you might get bumped back to coach on these tickets is if your flight gets canceled: when they rebook you on another flight, they will try to keep you in the front cabin but it isn't guaranteed.

That said, looking at a random date (9/13), I see the fares you describe. Usually, instant upgrade shows as P class, but on these flights, it shows as I class, the same class as the pricier "business special" fare. So you might be confirmed into the front cabin even after a cancellation. Anyone know?

In any case, it's $300 more than the cheap coach fare. The kiosk upgrade (LBFU) would be $180 ($45 per 500 miles, rounded up). And there's a good chance that they won't be offered at all, if the front cabin is full). So it's only $120 more to confirm it, that definitely seems like the better option, if flying up front is important to you.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 9:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by swag
That said, looking at a random date (9/13), I see the fares you describe. Usually, instant upgrade shows as P class, but on these flights, it shows as I class, the same class as the pricier "business special" fare. So you might be confirmed into the front cabin even after a cancellation. Anyone know?
In my experience instant upgrade fares have always book into I on international segments, and P or A on the domestic segments. P is a first class fare bucket. Flyerguide indicates that Y26nCUP fares book into D.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Instant Upgrade

Hi There

Looking to book an internal flight from JFK to MIA

Can someone confirm what the instant upgrade fair is?

Also this flight is for the begining of April.

Will AA have an xmas or other sale or should I just book?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:43 am
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mdj1
Hi There

Looking to book an internal flight from JFK to MIA

Can someone confirm what the instant upgrade fair is?

Also this flight is for the begining of April.

Will AA have an xmas or other sale or should I just book?
Fares for AmericanAirlines - including instant upgrade fares - are easily found at www.aa.com.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:44 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Step 1: Head to aa.com;
Step 2: Search for the cities and dates you want;
Step 3: Book the one you like most.

Given you're looking to make that flight in F, I doubt the fares will change much between then and now. Good luck.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Hi Guys,

Thanks for that. What I was wondering is Instant Upgrade F?
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:48 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
What I was wondering is Instant Upgrade F?
Instant upgrade fares book directly into the next highest cabin of service. On the JFK-MIA route, that is F. Your fare basis will be an economy one (typically KUP, YUP, or some other such xUP), but you'll book into and be able to immediately choose a seat in the F cabin.
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
AA.com is your friend
Old Dec 2, 2011, 9:52 am

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
Thanks for that. What I was wondering is Instant Upgrade F?
you get first class seat but ticket fare shows as coach. I believe this is mostly for business travelers whose company don't approve normal F tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.