Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SIZE="4"]AA "instant upgrade" (-UP) fare

Click here for the current thread.
[/SIZE]

These are often referred to as "instant upgrade" fares; they upgrade into the class of service P, A or I internationally with positive space; OSO / schedule disruptions mean unless the P, A, D, I etc. fare is offered on the new flight they "downgrade" to Coach on the next available flight. (One can wait for the next flight with P, A, D, I available, but this might require overnights etc. at one's expense.)

Purchasers should carefully read the Detailed Fare Rules, as many of these are, as essentially "instant upgrades", punitive in effect during IROPS / OSO", "change of gauge" aircraft substitutions, cancellations and missed connections because if the necessary fare inventory isn't available one is generally given the option to fly now, in Economy, or wait until such inventory becomes available (which may entail hours or days at the passenger's own expense).

The detailed fare codes for these flights might look like (international) GNE7C0Z1/CRUP or SNE7C0Z1/CRUP, Lxxxx, etc. Reaccommodation in Coach: these particular sample fates will be treated like an N class fare. As well: "The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary. In addition other fare rules may apply."

In the detailed fare rules, instant upgrade fares may include something like this:

ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
E.G. During irregular operations or missed connections, one may continue in that class of service if A, P, D, I etc. as applicable is available, or the passenger can take a voluntary downgrade to the lower class of service / Y on an earlier flight. Some may do this if waiting for A, P or I requires one or more overnights.

Refunds may be limited to $0.50 per mile to a maximum of $50 per downgraded segment, and are limited to vouchers good for future travel on AA.

Link to compensation offered for an involuntary downgrade of "instant upgrade" fares:

Instant Upgrade tickets are booked in the Main Cabin. However, Instant upgrade ticketholders who travel in the Main Cabin due to an involuntary seat change, equipment change, routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection as a result of a late incoming flight may request a travel voucher. The voucher value shall be equal to $0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin. Refunds will be rounded to the nearest whole dollar amount, and can be requested at www.aa.com/refunds.
One explanatory post (15 Apr 2015) might be:

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Just moments ago, I priced out a trip from LAX to DFW, and two different discounted First Class ticket options were presented, the fare class of one was SA00ZNI1 (books into P) and the other was MA00ZRI1 (books into A).

At the bottom of the purchase summary screen, AA provides this warning:

■ First/Business Fares may be an Instant Upgrade and therefore subject to restrictions.
The fare rules for both tickets provide the following as the last entry:

Rule Application
and Other Conditions

NOTE THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
Why does this matter? Because if I buy either of these tickets and then I decide that I want to fly an earlier or later flight, these fares will not permit me to walk up to the counter and claim a last-minute F seat if my capacity-controlled inventory is not available. For instance, if that last F seat is in F (not P or A), then I'd have to pay the fare difference in order to confirm a change to that seat.

We can (and have for years and years) argued around here that these fare practices are misleading - and I agree. Nevertheless, AA is most certainly still selling what it considers to be "instant upgrade" fares, and savvy travelers should read the fare rules* and plan accordingly.

*Or at least download them to your hard drive as a pdf at the time of reservation/purchase so that others might help decipher them when things go inverted. So often around here, people post questions where reading the fare rules is vital to an accurate answer, and they respond "who reads/saves those when buying a ticket?"

Back to the OP's question: How to find instant upgrade tickets? Nearly every domestic first class fare I've seen on aa.com is an instant upgrade ticket. Finding a domestic first class fare that isn't an instant upgrade fare is quite a chore. The OP can rest assured that if their fare books in P, A or F, they're going to earn their hoped-for tier points. As Microwave pointed out, the best/correct place for that discussion is in the British Airways forum where there are numerous BAEC members with experience in buying and flying on AA's instant upgrade F tickets.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2011, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've also flown -UP fares that were lower than Y/B on a couple different U.S. legacies. Note that the earning of F credits and sitting in the F cabin are not necessarily the same.

For example, back in the days of YX (Midwest Airlines), legacies would sometimes compete against their new routes with a variety of -UP fares. You could get a QUP or an HUP that seated you at the pointy end of the plane...but it still posted as a regular coach segment for EQS/EQM/EQP purposes.

(Not sure if this is still common in 2011 or not...most of my -UP's were AA and UA in the early 2000's. Since I was ex-MCI they correlated strongly with YX's routes. Not sure whether other competitive pressures are out there to cause airlines to sell a lot of -UP's.)
Old May 7, 2011, 9:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, UA 2P
It is usually coded as P from what I have seen. For the AAdvantage program, this is essentially considered full first class in terms of RDM/EQM/EQP, but check with the qantas program
Old May 7, 2011, 9:36 am

I know its already been said, but just want to stress:

Instant upgrades (YUP) are coach fares that assign seats in first (domestic). If anything goes wrong (e.g. equipment change/missed flight/switching flights) you will end up back in coach unless there is instant upgrade inventory available.
Old May 7, 2011, 9:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rearview
I know its already been said, but just want to stress:

Instant upgrades (YUP) are coach fares that assign seats in first (domestic). If anything goes wrong (e.g. equipment change/missed flight/switching flights) you will end up back in coach unless there is instant upgrade inventory available.
In practice, do GA's these days try to accommodate YUP's during IRROPs? In other words, do they recognize that these are expensive tickets that probably belong above upgraders and below full-F pax in the pecking order?

Seems like there should be a common sense component to the rebooking knowing full well that the instant upgrade inventory will almost never be available in the midst of the IRROPs situation.
Old May 7, 2011, 10:19 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I know BA treat xUP fares as being in F for the purposes of TPs. A KUP on a 2-class transcon can be a great way to gather TPs on BA.

As far as finding out what AA fares get you status faster on QF, you may get better answers in the QF forum. That's not really an AAdvantage question.
Old May 8, 2011, 1:43 am

Programs: QFF WP
Originally Posted by millsdale
It is usually coded as P from what I have seen. For the AAdvantage program, this is essentially considered full first class in terms of RDM/EQM/EQP, but check with the qantas program
QFF also considers it equivalent to a regular first class fare.
Old May 8, 2011, 3:22 am

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by ben174
Hi Guys

Havent travelled to USA for a while but am coming over in July. I am a Qantas Frequent Flyer so will be using AA for my domestic air fares in USA.

What are these fares AA have i hear about you earn F Status Credits? Im going to be in LA and will probably fly to SFO and NYC and would love the chance to earn at F rate for a discounted cost? Can someone please elaborate on this a bit?

Thanks so much
As others have mentioned regarding the SC earning, from personal experience as a QFF in case of delays and resulting missed connections,etc I have always been offered a choice of next available F seat.
(note: try and get to the check-in desk asap if you need to re-book)
Old May 8, 2011, 5:54 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Hi Ben - hope you have a good trip here. Indeed, coding of the front cabin as f is a good way to build up relatively inexpensive tier or status points.

AA offers service from lax to JFK, however, beware, this is one of two principal domestic routes that AA offers three class domestic service on (SFO-JFK being the other). An instant upgrade fare will put you in the business cabin if you fly on these routes - and won't get you where you are seeking to be on status points.

You could consider a few alternatives--flying lax-EWR (Newark, NJ), lax-las-jfk or lax-ord/dfw-JFK. All three of these will offer two class service, which should get you the higher status points (though check qf's rules on AA fare codes to be sure).

Many would say j on the 3-class lax-JFK route is a superior experience when compared to f on any of the other routings that I nominated.

Against that, you'd probably find a significant arbitrage going through las, and booking as point to point in that while lax-JFK fares are quite high right now, lax-las and las-JFK are much more competitive and should be lower fares. Don't blow your savings in las however!

Your emerald or sapphire QF card, or your Qantas club card will get you into AA admirals clubs. Make sure you get two drink coupons from them when you enter the club. If you are emerald, there are flagship lounges at JFK/ord/lax/Mia that you can use which are a step nicer than the AC's....though will certainly let you down if you are used to the SYD/Mel f lounges!
Old May 8, 2011, 8:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by NYBanker
AA offers service from lax to JFK, however, beware, this is one of two principal domestic routes that AA offers three class domestic service on (SFO-JFK being the other).
AA also offer three-class flights between LAX and MIA. To recap, all AA flights between LAX and JFK are three class, while only some flights between SFO and JFK, and LAX and MIA, are three class. For service between those two city pairs, flights operated by 762s and 772s are sold with three classes, while all other flights are sold with two classes. As mentioned, three-class J on routes that offer it is generally nicer than two-class F, although it accrues as a business class flight so usually is less helpful for folks needing premium cabins to reach status.

You could consider a few alternatives--flying lax-EWR (Newark, NJ), lax-las-jfk or lax-ord/dfw-JFK.
Other options would be LAX-BOS-JFK, LAX-SAN-JFK, LAX-SFO-JFK on the 2-class 763 (also offers angle-flat seating), LAX-BNA-JFK/LGA, LAX-STL-JFK/LGA, and I'm sure others we've not thought of. I haven't checked timing for these connections, but the routes exist and at least some of them will have good timing (and could even get you to La Guardia, which is closer to Manhattan and for some is easier to deal with than JFK). Also, getting from ORD or DFW to NYC would probably be easier if LGA is an option due to frequencies and aircraft size.
Old May 8, 2011, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped
In practice, do GA's these days try to accommodate YUP's during IRROPs? In other words, do they recognize that these are expensive tickets that probably belong above upgraders and below full-F pax in the pecking order?

Seems like there should be a common sense component to the rebooking knowing full well that the instant upgrade inventory will almost never be available in the midst of the IRROPs situation.
You're right that during IRROPS there's never instant upgrade inventory (P, from what I've seen).

In my experience I've had decent luck, but its really up to the GA. I've had the GA call to open up P inventory/figure out a workaround a number of times. I'd say I probably end up in in the front 2/3 of the time during IRROPS. The other times I usually am offered to sit up front on a later flight but prioritize getting there over the seat.
Old May 8, 2011, 1:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Not always - they may offer the next seat in the available class, or the next seat available in Economy. That is certainly my experience, and it's OK during a single aircraft cancellation but not so OK with massive weather-related disruptions in airport hubs with thousands of stranded pax. xUP pax will not get the priority for an F seat an F or A pax will.

We accepted an Economy pair of seats to SFO instead of overnighting as close to DFW as we could secure hotel space (at our own expense, with many rooms already taken by other affected passengers) and keeping our (two class domestic) F seats to SMF (3 flights day at the time, iirc).

Originally Posted by pinniped

Old May 8, 2011, 1:54 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
AA also offer three-class flights between LAX and MIA.
AA's current schedule provides for one three-class flight a day, out of 8 weekday nonstops, MIA-LAX. This is why i used the word "principal" in my post.
Old May 8, 2011, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
AA's current schedule provides for one three-class flight a day, out of 8 weekday nonstops, MIA-LAX. This is why i used the word "principal" in my post.
In the context of getting miles for F rather than J, it doesn't matter whether routes are "principally" two-class or three-class. A non AA frequent flyer may choose the 772 on that route for the comfort (I know I certainly do), and be disappointed at the earn rate later. It was from that perspective that I pointed out the LAX-MIA frequency, to avoid a potential misunderstanding later.
Old May 23, 2011, 7:28 pm

I've noticed lately more Instant Upgrade fares appear to be booking into A opposed to P, any real reason or does it even matter at all? Though since mileage/swu upgrades come from the A bucket, I guess it limits upgrades more directly? (Even though I get 1 less F seat is 1 less; A typically shows more availability than P.)
Old May 24, 2011, 2:26 am

Programs: AA,CX, BA, Priority Club, SPG, Hilton
Originally Posted by LHR/MEL/Europe FF
However, because it is a Y fare (for a YUP), I have found upgrade priority in the event of irrops to be #1 on the list. For every flight, incl ORD-LAX where there were 44 on the standby list, my little YUP got us #1 and #2 on the upgrade list despite us having no status with AA. We had paid the highest coach fare, so we got the last two seats on F cabin after boarding had completed (and still 42 others on the standby upgrade list waiting).
Just to be clear:
http://www.aa.com/i18n/AAdvantage/el...leUpgrades.jsp
Tip – The earlier you request your upgrade, the better. Upgrade requests are prioritized based on your elite level.
Within each elite level, full-fare Economy Class tickets booked in Y or B are confirmed first, followed by all other fares, in the order in which the upgrade request was received.

Unless there is an exemption. In your case, I think "IRROP" plays the role, not because of "highest coach fare". And more often, Full fare Ecomony (real Y,B) is usually more expensive than YUP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.