Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "instant upgrade" / discount First fare (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
“Instant upgrade” fares

These are often referred to as "instant upgrade" fares; they upgrade into the class of service P, A or I internationally with positive space. These fares are not clearly identified on aa.com unless you go the extra mile and click on and read the Detailed Fare Rules while you’re purchasing the ticket.

OSO / IROPSschedule disruptions mean unless the P, A, D, I etc. fare is offered on the new flight they "downgrade" the passenger to Coach on the next available flight. (One can wait for the next flight with P, A, D, I available, but this might require overnights etc. at one's expense.)

Purchasers should carefully read the Detailed Fare Rules, as many of these are, as essentially "instant upgrades", punitive in effect during IROPS / OSO", "change of gauge" aircraft substitutions, cancellations and missed connections because if the necessary fare inventory isn't available one is generally given the option to fly now, in Economy, or wait until such inventory becomes available (which may entail hours or days at the passenger's own expense). - old Wiki
The detailed fare codes for these flights have looked like (international) GNE7C0Z1/CRUP or SNE7C0Z1/CRUP, Lxxxx, etc. Reaccommodation in Coach: these particular sample fates will be treated like an N class fare. As well: "The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary. In addition other fare rules may apply."

In the detailed fare rules, instant upgrade fares may include something like this:

ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
E.G. During irregular operations or missed connections, one may continue in that class of service if A, P, D, I etc. as applicable is available, or the passenger can take a voluntary downgrade to the lower class of service / Y on an earlier flight. Some may do this if waiting for A, P or I requires one or more overnights.

Refunds may be limited to $0.50 per mile to a maximum of $50 per downgraded segment, and are limited to vouchers good for future travel on AA.

Link to compensation offered for an involuntary downgrade of "instant upgrade" fares:

Instant Upgrade tickets are booked in the Main Cabin. However, Instant upgrade ticketholders who travel in the Main Cabin due to an involuntary seat change, equipment change, routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection as a result of a late incoming flight may request a travel voucher. The voucher value shall be equal to $0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin. Refunds will be rounded to the nearest whole dollar amount, and can be requested at www.aa.com/refunds.
Another, from a member post, in part:

[quite]NOTE THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
Why does this matter? Because if I buy either of these tickets and then I decide that I want to fly an earlier or later flight, these fares will not permit me to walk up to the counter and claim a last-minute F seat if my capacity-controlled inventory is not available. For instance, if that last F seat is in F (not P or A), then I'd have to pay the fare difference in order to confirm a change to that seat.

We can (and have for years and years) argued around here that these fare practices are misleading - and I agree. Nevertheless, AA is most certainly still selling what it considers to be "instant upgrade" fares, and savvy travelers should read the fare rules* and plan accordingly.

*Or at least download them ... as a pdf at the time of reservation/purchase so that others might help decipher them when things go inverted. So often around here, people post questions where reading the fare rules is vital to an accurate answer, and they respond "who reads/saves those when buying a ticket?"

Back to the OP's question: How to find instant upgrade tickets? Nearly every domestic first class fare I've seen on aa.com is an instant upgrade ticket. Finding a domestic first class fare that isn't an instant upgrade fare is quite a chore. The OP can rest assured that if their fare books in P, A or F, they're going to earn their hoped-for tier points. As Microwave pointed out, the best/correct place for that discussion is in the British Airways forum where there are numerous BAEC members with experience in buying and flying on AA's instant upgrade F tickets.[/QUOTE]

See here for the archived thread of previous posts.

Print Wikipost

AA "instant upgrade" / discount First fare (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:39 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Smile AA "instant upgrade" / discount First fare (master thd)

I normally search for flights on GOOGLE FLIGHTS and complete the booking on aa.com
I have a few future rts jfk-las-jfk in first class, the booking code is I. Is this a yup? Neither AA nor GOOGLE mention this term--but I've seen lots of posts here on FT which discuss its existence [a Y fare immediately upgraded to FC]. In the AA booking code list D and I both seem to yield bc/fc seating, but D gives more EQM than I. Are D and/or I yup codes?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 9:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

you would need to look at the fare basis and fare rules to determine whether any specific fare is an instant upgrade fare or a normal business fare

I and D are both just business class fare bases and both have the same EQMs ( see https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...n-airlines.jsp )
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by nrr
I normally search for flights on GOOGLE FLIGHTS and complete the booking on aa.com
I have a few future rts jfk-las-jfk in first class, the booking code is I. Is this a yup? Neither AA nor GOOGLE mention this term--but I've seen lots of posts here on FT which discuss its existence [a Y fare immediately upgraded to FC]. In the AA booking code list D and I both seem to yield bc/fc seating, but D gives more EQM than I. Are D and/or I yup codes?
UP fares almost always have UP in the actual fare basis, so LM7YUP2 etc.

D and I are business class fares often limited in number (vs. J) and with some restrictions, e.g. no refund, a partial refund net of a fee, some vs. no change fees, etc. The fees are often really a small percentage of higher fares, like $200 to cancel a $5,000 D or I ticket say to HKG, so vs. paying full J that might be say $8,000 it's a small cost and cheap insurance - in this example $200 up front for a $3,000 savings is huge.
Old Apr 11, 2018, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It can be very difficult to tell. Sometimes in the detailed fare rules it will spell out that it’s an economy fare with instant upgrade, but sometimes the language is much les clear despite other signs Pointing to it being an UP fare.
For most practical purposes it doesn’t really matter. The vast, vast majority of times you will fly first class and earn first class miles.
During irregular operations it can get dicey. You may have to wait for a later flight with availability or take a voluntary downgrade to coach. But frankly that’s not different from being on a full F/J fare. They (generally) won’t downgrade others to make room for a displaced full fare pax. That said, the full fare gets higher priority on the first class standby list.

Then it becomes an issue of what refund you are due if you do fly in coach. AA will try and stiff you with the “it was a free upgrade” BS.
This is where it is important to capture and retain documentation of the difference between coach and first class at the time of purchase.

In terms of miles, I recently had IRROPS On LGA-BOS due to summer T-storms and accepted a voluntary downgrade to coach. I ended up clearing into FC at the gate (despite the GA - legacy US - not having any idea how to list me with priority for FC). Miles/EQMs posted as coach, but an email to AAdvantage CS sorted it out.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, National EE
I'm attempting to book an -UP fare that I've found on expertflyer. Bucket availability is there, but I can't actually pull up the flight on aa.com or an OTA.

The details are as follows:

TUS-PHX-PHL-SCE, 8/3, depart 5:59AM, arrive 6:36PM. EF shows I4/V7 on the TUS-PHX and PHX-PHL legs (PHL-SCE is an ER4, so only Y). There is fare registered of VUAWZNI3, which from the rules is pretty clearly an -UP fare.

Do I have to call in to book this?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:09 pm

it won't price out on matrix.itasoftware.com (with "Only show flights and prices with available seats" unticked) either, but will in V for all segments for a similar fare basis.
if it were me, i'd ticket the underlying fare in V and then call in to attempt to change segment1 to I, segment2 to I, and preserve segment3 in V for ~$210 upfare.
24-hour refund if it doesn't work.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
I've got a LAX-MIA-SJU itinerary where LAX-MIA, MIA-SJU and SJU-MIA all seem to be YUP fares, booked in I class. But I didn't notice the the final MIA-LAX segment is still in economy, booked in Y class.

I rarely buy YUP fares for domestic flights, but is there some rule on Y fares that I would get an instant upgrade anyway? I vaguely remember United having something like that for Y/B/M fares and I also remember that Y fares on American wouldn't require stickers, but not sure what the rules are for EXPs these days...

Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:56 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by SpeedRicer
I've got a LAX-MIA-SJU itinerary where LAX-MIA, MIA-SJU and SJU-MIA all seem to be YUP fares, booked in I class. But I didn't notice the the final MIA-LAX segment is still in economy, booked in Y class.

I rarely buy YUP fares for domestic flights, but is there some rule on Y fares that I would get an instant upgrade anyway? I vaguely remember United having something like that for Y/B/M fares and I also remember that Y fares on American wouldn't require stickers, but not sure what the rules are for EXPs these days...

Thanks!
It was true in the past that Y fares got limited special treatment on AA (specifically, an exemption from requiring stickers for Golds and Platinums, and non-elites could upgrade Y fares with stickers). That is no longer the case. AA never had complimentary upgrades at booking for elites on Y fares like DL, UA, and AS.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 8:54 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM - DL PM - OZ Diamond - Bonvoy LTT - Hyatt Glob - IHG Plat - National EE - Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ashill
It was true in the past that Y fares got limited special treatment on AA (specifically, an exemption from requiring stickers for Golds and Platinums, and non-elites could upgrade Y fares with stickers). That is no longer the case. AA never had complimentary upgrades at booking for elites on Y fares like DL, UA, and AS.
Good to know, thanks!
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpeedRicer

Thanks!
My guess is that the MIA-LAX segment wasn't available in "I" class, and instead of pricing it up at a potentially much more expensive D or J fare, the system forced the voluntary downgrade into Y. If so, you can monitor the segment for I inventory, and if it's released, you should be able to get AA to confirm you up front.

(It's also possible that segment is completely full in FC, or that it's operated with an equipment type that your fare doesn't allow, although I'm not sure that's really a thing).
Old Dec 20, 2019, 7:07 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
My guess is that the MIA-LAX segment wasn't available in "I" class, and instead of pricing it up at a potentially much more expensive D or J fare, the system forced the voluntary downgrade into Y. If so, you can monitor the segment for I inventory, and if it's released, you should be able to get AA to confirm you up front.

(It's also possible that segment is completely full in FC, or that it's operated with an equipment type that your fare doesn't allow, although I'm not sure that's really a thing).
Thanks ijgordon! Yes, I think most likely that's the case -- the MIA-LAX is on New Year's Day so it's probably full already...

Good to know about monitoring for I inventory, will give that a try! ^
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Updated Wiki as much as possible and older posts archived.

It’s imperative to read the Detailed Fare Rules (a link is offered so you can do this prior to purchasing the ticket) to determine the terms and conditions governing the fare. E.g. in OSO / IROPS you may be required to fly in Main Cabin if your flight is cancelled, etc. unless you’re willing to wait for an available seat in the original fare class. And be aware AA often requires the most restrictive fare purchased govern the remainder of fares purchased on one ticket.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:48 pm

on what basis are you asserting that AA will, on say a misconnect at LAX on an I fare, refuse to rebook the passenger on the very next flight showing J1 R0 D0 I0 availability? this is absolutely not my experience. in fact, most often, the AA agent just rebooks directly into J (with all the associated earn benefits in partner programs) though sometimes the agent forces the rebooking into I via some override process. even if some AA agent did attempt to deny the J1 rebooking, that would rather easily be remedied via agent shopping - HUCA, Admirals Club, check-in agent, customer service desk agent.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:07 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Colin
on what basis are you asserting that AA will, on say a misconnect at LAX on an I fare, refuse to rebook the passenger on the very next flight showing J1 R0 D0 I0 availability? this is absolutely not my experience. in fact, most often, the AA agent just rebooks directly into J (with all the associated earn benefits in partner programs) though sometimes the agent forces the rebooking into I via some override process. even if some AA agent did attempt to deny the J1 rebooking, that would rather easily be remedied via agent shopping - HUCA, Admirals Club, check-in agent, customer service desk agent.
On my experiences, and those of many members.

E.g. SAT-DFW-SMF, SAT-DFW delayed. I had an instant upgrade fare, was EXP. The next flight with available seats for my fare group was the following day, which of course I’d have to foot hotel and meals bill because the first flight was delayed because of weather. I chose to fly the same day, and flew coach. I couldn’t HUCA at the Admirals Club, and it’d have taken me ~an hour to speak to someone on the phone. Pretty typical on these fares.

I’ve been flying AA since the 1940s, had 17 years of ExPlat - this isn’t exactly my first rodeo.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
On my experiences, and those of many members.

E.g. SAT-DFW-SMF, SAT-DFW delayed. I had an instant upgrade fare, was EXP. The next flight with available seats for my fare group was the following day, which of course I’d have to foot hotel and meals bill because the first flight was delayed because of weather. I chose to fly the same day, and flew coach. I couldn’t HUCA at the Admirals Club, and it’d have taken me ~an hour to speak to someone on the phone. Pretty typical on these fares.

I’ve been flying AA since the 1940s, had 17 years of ExPlat - this isn’t exactly my first rodeo.
i don't know what the term "fare group" means, but it you accepted a Y-cabin rebooking onto a flight with J1 inventory, then that's on you. it's not my first rodeo either, and I've never flown in coach after rebooking when AA was still selling seats in the J cabin. never once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.