Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 10, 2013, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SIZE="4"]AA "instant upgrade" (-UP) fare

Click here for the current thread.
[/SIZE]

These are often referred to as "instant upgrade" fares; they upgrade into the class of service P, A or I internationally with positive space; OSO / schedule disruptions mean unless the P, A, D, I etc. fare is offered on the new flight they "downgrade" to Coach on the next available flight. (One can wait for the next flight with P, A, D, I available, but this might require overnights etc. at one's expense.)

Purchasers should carefully read the Detailed Fare Rules, as many of these are, as essentially "instant upgrades", punitive in effect during IROPS / OSO", "change of gauge" aircraft substitutions, cancellations and missed connections because if the necessary fare inventory isn't available one is generally given the option to fly now, in Economy, or wait until such inventory becomes available (which may entail hours or days at the passenger's own expense).

The detailed fare codes for these flights might look like (international) GNE7C0Z1/CRUP or SNE7C0Z1/CRUP, Lxxxx, etc. Reaccommodation in Coach: these particular sample fates will be treated like an N class fare. As well: "The most restrictive set of fare rules applies to the entire itinerary. In addition other fare rules may apply."

In the detailed fare rules, instant upgrade fares may include something like this:

ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONE-CLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
E.G. During irregular operations or missed connections, one may continue in that class of service if A, P, D, I etc. as applicable is available, or the passenger can take a voluntary downgrade to the lower class of service / Y on an earlier flight. Some may do this if waiting for A, P or I requires one or more overnights.

Refunds may be limited to $0.50 per mile to a maximum of $50 per downgraded segment, and are limited to vouchers good for future travel on AA.

Link to compensation offered for an involuntary downgrade of "instant upgrade" fares:

Instant Upgrade tickets are booked in the Main Cabin. However, Instant upgrade ticketholders who travel in the Main Cabin due to an involuntary seat change, equipment change, routing change, flight cancellation, or missed connection as a result of a late incoming flight may request a travel voucher. The voucher value shall be equal to $0.10 per mile, or $50, whichever is greater, for each flight segment flown in the downgraded cabin. Refunds will be rounded to the nearest whole dollar amount, and can be requested at www.aa.com/refunds.
One explanatory post (15 Apr 2015) might be:

Originally Posted by FWAAA

Just moments ago, I priced out a trip from LAX to DFW, and two different discounted First Class ticket options were presented, the fare class of one was SA00ZNI1 (books into P) and the other was MA00ZRI1 (books into A).

At the bottom of the purchase summary screen, AA provides this warning:

■ First/Business Fares may be an Instant Upgrade and therefore subject to restrictions.
The fare rules for both tickets provide the following as the last entry:

Rule Application
and Other Conditions

NOTE THE FOLLOWING TEXT IS INFORMATIONAL AND NOT VALIDATED FOR AUTOPRICING. ECONOMY FARE WITH AN INSTANT ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF PURCHASE TO FIRST/BUSINESS. APPLICATION CLASS OF SERVICE THESE FARES APPLY FOR ECONOMY CLASS SERVICE. CAPACITY LIMITATIONS SEATS ARE LIMITED BOTH ECONOMY AND FIRST CLASS BOOKING INVENTORIES MUST BE AVAILABLE AT TIME OF BOOKING. THESE FARES PERMIT A ONECLASS UPGRADE AT THE TIME OF BOOKING.
Why does this matter? Because if I buy either of these tickets and then I decide that I want to fly an earlier or later flight, these fares will not permit me to walk up to the counter and claim a last-minute F seat if my capacity-controlled inventory is not available. For instance, if that last F seat is in F (not P or A), then I'd have to pay the fare difference in order to confirm a change to that seat.

We can (and have for years and years) argued around here that these fare practices are misleading - and I agree. Nevertheless, AA is most certainly still selling what it considers to be "instant upgrade" fares, and savvy travelers should read the fare rules* and plan accordingly.

*Or at least download them to your hard drive as a pdf at the time of reservation/purchase so that others might help decipher them when things go inverted. So often around here, people post questions where reading the fare rules is vital to an accurate answer, and they respond "who reads/saves those when buying a ticket?"

Back to the OP's question: How to find instant upgrade tickets? Nearly every domestic first class fare I've seen on aa.com is an instant upgrade ticket. Finding a domestic first class fare that isn't an instant upgrade fare is quite a chore. The OP can rest assured that if their fare books in P, A or F, they're going to earn their hoped-for tier points. As Microwave pointed out, the best/correct place for that discussion is in the British Airways forum where there are numerous BAEC members with experience in buying and flying on AA's instant upgrade F tickets.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: AA "instant upgrade" (-UP, YUP) fare discount First (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2011, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Plat, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JumboD
Well, in cases such as this, I'd call reservations instead of dealing with the GA (assuming flight isn't under airport control), particularly at BOS!
I've tried that too. The bottom line is that you can't count on getting anything other than a coach seat with these fares if your flight is cancelled or you decide to stand by for another. Sometimes you will get lucky and it will work out, but in my experience more often, no matter what you do, you will be sitting in coach with no refund or other compensation due.
Old May 2, 2011, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by MikeBOS
I've tried that too. The bottom line is that you can't count on getting anything other than a coach seat with these fares if your flight is cancelled or you decide to stand by for another. Sometimes you will get lucky and it will work out, but in my experience more often, no matter what you do, you will be sitting in coach with no refund or other compensation due.
Well, you could simply refund the whole thing; in irregular ops that has to be an option. Like I said, if I'm paying a lot of money to sit in F and AA chooses not to accommodate me, that revenue is going to someone else.

It's also a situation in which, like I said, I'd be taking it up with my credit card company after the fact. Perhaps doing a dummy booking and taking a screen shot to show how much extra you paid, would help in such a case.
Old May 2, 2011, 7:50 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Instant upgrade fares are first class fares. All the talk that they are, in fact, coach fares is just wrong. The only way to purchase this type of fare is to select 'business/first class' on aa's webiste (or through a travel agent). When AA introduces a new option (but a coach ticket and confirm in F upon availability) I'd agree that the fare is a coach one; right now AA is selling F class tix. I don't care which fare it uses; all I care about is that when I am specifically looking for a J/F class fare this is what I want to get, regadless of the fact that AA may think that I purchased a coach fare.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Isn't there a difference in bonus RDM for Instant upgrade vs. Business special fares? Also if someone is travelling on company dime and the company only pays for "economy" fares, perhaps it would be a viable way to upgrade without purchasing a "business" class ticket.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Let's be clear... YUPs and KUPs are NOT first class (or business class) fares. They are coach fares which entitle you to an automatic upgrade at the time of booking. This is very clear in the fare rules.

AFTER booking in the event of irrops, you can EITHER take a Y seat (and get Y points) OR you can elect to stand-by for the next flight in which you can be accommodated in First class.

If time is not an issue for you, then this option can be ok. I use YUPs on holidays and I would rather spend a few hours extra in the AAclub than sit in coach.

The interesting thing to note is that it is not only the availability of an F seat that matters, there MUST be a seat in Y to 'automatically' upgrade.

I was in STL one time and wanted to change to an earlier flight. The next flight was zero'd out in all classes of coach, but still had A and F seats available.

Because Y was sold out, they could not get me onto the flight to then auto-upgrade. They can't book you directly into A (unless irrops). So it most certainly is a Y fare.

However, because it is a Y fare (for a YUP), I have found upgrade priority in the event of irrops to be #1 on the list. For every flight, incl ORD-LAX where there were 44 on the standby list, my little YUP got us #1 and #2 on the upgrade list despite us having no status with AA. We had paid the highest coach fare, so we got the last two seats on F cabin after boarding had completed (and still 42 others on the standby upgrade list waiting).
Old May 2, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Also if someone is travelling on company dime and the company only pays for "economy" fares, perhaps it would be a viable way to upgrade without purchasing a "business" class ticket.
I believe this was the rationale behind the introduction of instant upgrade fares in the first place.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:44 pm
ts3

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, BAEC, SPG, UA, AF
Originally Posted by Andriyko
Instant upgrade fares are first class fares. All the talk that they are, in fact, coach fares is just wrong. The only way to purchase this type of fare is to select 'business/first class' on aa's webiste (or through a travel agent). When AA introduces a new option (but a coach ticket and confirm in F upon availability) I'd agree that the fare is a coach one; right now AA is selling F class tix. I don't care which fare it uses; all I care about is that when I am specifically looking for a J/F class fare this is what I want to get, regadless of the fact that AA may think that I purchased a coach fare.
Definitely not true as my experience indicates.

If you go to aa.com right now, pop in a domestic flight, select an instant upgrade fare, you will see the fare rules for most flights lists a KUP fare, YUP if no advanced purchase When you get to the payment page, you will find you are being booked into P, sometimes A, but never F.

As MikeBOS is indicated from actual experience, you will quite likely end up in Y not F if there are any problems or delays. And then your only option are things like JumboD is suggesting. Bottom line, from AA's perspective you are buying an almost full price Y with the guarantee of an upgrade for the flight you are scheduled on. If anything funky happens, all bets are off and you only have a Y fare.

Honestly, my personal feeling is that the KUP/YUP is a ripoff. As I said, I won't do it again.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Andriyko
If instant upgrades are not first fares, then AA should update its website to make it more clear. On AA.com if you restrict the cabin to first/business, instant upgrade shows up. Whatever the fare rules might be, that is false advertising to me.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by ts3

Honestly, my personal feeling is that the KUP/YUP is a ripoff. As I said, I won't do it again.
(bolding mine)

but then four years ago I got an IAH-DFW-ORD-LAX-LAS YUP for USD247 all in - with a bucket load of miles due to illness we actually missed the flights as planned and had to reschedule for the day after. We got everything in F except the ORD-LAX. And that's were we found ourselves #1 and #2 on the upgrade list and were confirmed on boarding.

if you have the time and are not bound by a schedule, YUPs can be great value and great comfort.
Old May 2, 2011, 8:57 pm
ts3

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, BAEC, SPG, UA, AF
Originally Posted by Xero
If instant upgrades are not first fares, then AA should update its website to make it more clear. On AA.com if you restrict the cabin to first/business, instant upgrade shows up. Whatever the fare rules might be, that is false advertising to me.
100% agree. ^
Old May 2, 2011, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Hilton diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ts3
100% agree. ^
+1
Old May 2, 2011, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by Time traveller
Isn't there a difference in bonus RDM for Instant upgrade vs. Business special fares?
No, there isn't. The difference you may have noticed is that if you book an instant upgrade on a two-class domestic, booking into first, you get 50% bonus miles, while the business special fares (usually international) book into business, netting you a 25% bonus.
Old May 7, 2011, 8:39 am

Instant Upgrade Fare?

Hi Guys

Havent travelled to USA for a while but am coming over in July. I am a Qantas Frequent Flyer so will be using AA for my domestic air fares in USA.

What are these fares AA have i hear about you earn F Status Credits? Im going to be in LA and will probably fly to SFO and NYC and would love the chance to earn at F rate for a discounted cost? Can someone please elaborate on this a bit?

Thanks so much
Old May 7, 2011, 8:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
they are called yup fares, meaning that you get 1st class on a y fare....one catch is that if something changes [like equipment or cancellation & rebooking], & you might find yourself in the back....you might want to look at qf's treatment of aa fare codes....i think I is one & maybe B, but someone will post more or a link, i'm sure....good luck..
Old May 7, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
Go to AA.com and sort by Price & Schedule. A table will come up and "instant upgrade" fares will appear if available.

Not much more to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.