Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Deleted

Last edited by LittleBird; May 18, 2022 at 1:51 pm Reason: Didn't go back far enough for answer
Old May 18, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
How To Liquidate GC's

What I'm about to post is more or less common knowledge on the Manufactured Spending forum, although the rules keep changing. But many people chasing AA status never engaged in MS before so I thought it was appropriate to post one technique here, based also on current information.

One way to do it is to use Walmart Bill Pay. You can do this at any Walmart with a Money Center, but see caveats below.

You can pay your credit card bill, either as MyBigBank credit card, or Visa/Mastercard. Sometimes it will take MyBigBank credit card, sometimes not, and I'm not positive that Mastercard works but I know Visa does. Make sure you use the CheckFreePay option, which should cost about $1.50. MoneyGram payments cost more.

Some WM's will not allow you to use prepaid cards. This is a store rule, not a system limitation. If you tell them you want to pay $248.50 and you swipe a $250 card, they will probably not notice.

There are three system limitations.

1) No more than $99 per swipe.
2) No more than four swipes per transaction
3) No more than five payments to the same vendor and account number per rolling 30 days

If you can get it to pay both MyBigBank credit card and Visa, you can make 10 payments as it will consider them different vendors.

There is another store limitation, in that some stores will allow you to do only one transaction per day. This is because doing more than one small transaction instead of a single big transaction is called "structuring" and is illegal in that it evades reporting requirements. (It actually doesn't, but your average Money Center CSR or manager is not exactly a retired Treasury special agent. You'd have more luck arguing a called strike with a major league baseball umpire than telling them that it's not structuring. At least an umpire can only throw you out for one game.)

So yesterday I made a payment of $347.50, as following:
Swipe card 1 for $99
Swipe card 1 for $99
Swipe card 1 for $52
Swipe card 2 for $99
$349 swiped less $1.50 fee equals $347.50 paid.

I threw out the used-up card and used a marker to write $151 on the not-fully-used card.

I used to do $100-$200K a month of these but of course now I only want to do $2K tops.

Will you get your bank account shut down if you do this? Who knows? I'll be spreading it over 2-3 different cards so I doubt it.

Oh, this does not work with Amex.
Old May 18, 2022, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Uber is back with another offer at SimplyMiles....1 ride of $15 for 235 miles.
chrisny2 and njvandy like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, National Exec, Hertz PC, Nexus
Originally Posted by nk15
Oddly, I didn't register for this, but I received the credit. I was wondering where it came from since I already did four rides, earning 465-miles each. When I look on SimplyMiles, I still don't see this promo. No complaints though. I see a new SimplyMiles offer for 9-miles per dollar using Lyft Rentals. Something I'm going to need to look into.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone tried signing up for Discovery+? It's now 1200 points for new members, and it costs just $4.99 or $6.99 commercial free. However in the terms it states: "Not eligible on any free products, trials, services, memberships, subscriptions and retailer marketing subscriptions." But when I go to the Discovery+ website you can only sign up via an initial 1 week free trial, then it bills you.

Just wondering if anyone had success with this or thought about it.
Old May 19, 2022, 12:41 pm

SimplyMiles is playing sketchy games with those Uber offers: I activated all three recent Uber offers, including the one for 465 miles on any ride. I was recently issued 235 miles for a ride, which lines up with this new offer you're seeing (I don't see it). The previous offer I activated doesn't even show on my account anymore, despite all those offers running until 5/31.
Old May 19, 2022, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by lawly
Has anyone tried signing up for Discovery+? It's now 1200 points for new members, and it costs just $4.99 or $6.99 commercial free. However in the terms it states: "Not eligible on any free products, trials, services, memberships, subscriptions and retailer marketing subscriptions." But when I go to the Discovery+ website you can only sign up via an initial 1 week free trial, then it bills you.

I asked AadvantageEshopping about it last month, and they said it would be valid despite the free week. I didn't try though.
nk15 and lawly like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium

I just did it. The order amount shows $0 but it posted just fine after a little over a week. I chose the $4.99 option.
lawly likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by WryMartini
I've heard some have had success with politely asking for documentation of which other party the commission was paid to.
Asked as was told "we can't tell you for confidentially reasons"
Old May 19, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rrgg
I asked AadvantageEshopping about it last month, and they said it would be valid despite the free week. I didn't try though.
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
I just did it. The order amount shows $0 but it posted just fine after a little over a week. I chose the $4.99 option.
Gave it a shot. We'll see, thanks!
Drwaz99 likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Asked as was told "we can't tell you for confidentially reasons"
Yeah, I would push back on that.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum

That seems like a great deal. I wonder if I could get it twice by signing up for two separate accounts.

Edit: nvm, terms say once per loyalty number. I do have a $3 off Chase Offer that should stack though.

Last edited by murphy; May 19, 2022 at 4:26 pm
Old May 19, 2022, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
I will try it too, although I have subscribed to it before...

Oh, Marriott is now 3 LPS/$, so you may want to rebook some of your reservations...
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
I bought an Apple gift card 6 weeks ago in order to extend my expiration and the miles have yet to post.

There is a pretty big gap between 3 and 60 days, and FT wiki suggests up to a month for large orders.

I contacted AA and their response is "it takes up to 60 days for these transactions to appear in your
AAdvantage account."

However the Help section of the AA Shopping website says:
Old May 19, 2022, 8:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Oh, Marriott is now 3 LPS/$, so you may want to rebook some of your reservations...
Thanks! Just rebooked several reservations. Of course, I'm still waiting for credit from February/March Bonvoy stays booked via AAdvantage eShopping, so I remain skeptical.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.