Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old May 11, 2022, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by beam88
Just a heads up Citi Merchant Offers has $50 cash back for Motley Fool $99 annual Stock Advisor subscription. I don’t see why this wouldn’t stack w 7400 miles.
Most of us I believe did not do the stacking because of reports that you may not get the miles. It sounds like you will be testing that hypothesis and kudos to you for your bravery....
Old May 11, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
Most of us I believe did not do the stacking because of reports that you may not get the miles. It sounds like you will be testing that hypothesis and kudos to you for your bravery....
Motley Fool allows cancellations up to the first 30 days or something. If you don't get your miles, you can cancel for a full refund.

If they post, and then get clawed back after the cancellation period you are out $50 which is not ideal but not the end of the world either.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA, Cap1
Most of us I believe did not do the stacking because of reports that you may not get the miles. It sounds like you will be testing that hypothesis and kudos to you....
There are reports that Citi Merchant Orders wont stack with AAdvantage eShopping portal? Interesting. Ive had AAdvantage eShopping stack with AmEx offers. Citi Merchant seems not dissimilar to AmEx offers.

Id try it but Ive done Motley Fool through AAdvantage eShopping before. It was in conjunction w an AmEx offer!
Old May 11, 2022, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are reports that Citi Merchant Orders won’t stack with AAdvantage eShopping portal? Interesting. I’ve had AAdvantage eShopping stack with AmEx offers. Citi Merchant seems not dissimilar to AmEx offers.

I’d try it but I’ve done Motley Fool through AAdvantage eShopping before. It was in conjunction w an AmEx offer!
Actually I was referring to AMEX offers, my bad, so I do not know about CITI offers. Interestingly you said it stacked with AMEX offers, that would be the first positive dp I have heard of for MotleyFool.
Old May 11, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are reports that Citi Merchant Orders wont stack with AAdvantage eShopping portal? Interesting. Ive had AAdvantage eShopping stack with AmEx offers. Citi Merchant seems not dissimilar to AmEx offers.

Id try it but Ive done Motley Fool through AAdvantage eShopping before. It was in conjunction w an AmEx offer!
This has nothing to do with Citi or Amex... It's specifically Motley Fool. Other merchants should be fine. They have clawed back miles for people who stacked with Amex and have claimed that they would do it again. Whether they will or not, who knows? Please let us know if your miles get clawed back.

Here's a blog post about it. https://frequentmiler.com/the-motley...y-points-more/
Old May 11, 2022, 4:11 pm

Interestingly you said it stacked with AMEX offers, that would be the first positive dp I have heard of for MotleyFool.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
They have clawed back miles for people who stacked with Amex and have claimed that they would do it again. Whether they will or not, who knows? Please let us know if your miles get clawed back.

Here's a blog post about it. https://frequentmiler.com/the-motley...y-points-more/
👀
Old May 11, 2022, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
This has nothing to do with Citi or Amex... It's specifically Motley Fool. Other merchants should be fine. They have clawed back miles for people who stacked with Amex and have claimed that they would do it again. Whether they will or not, who knows? Please let us know if your miles get clawed back.

There are reports of successful triple stacking on that link, but no reports of long term outcomes....
Old May 11, 2022, 4:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum

If youre feeling ambitious theres a Simplymiles offer too. I think Im going to go for it.
Old May 12, 2022, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by AirricK11
So yesterday I made two purchases that look like they didn't track. They show up in recent store visits but are not posted to "Recent Transactions". Did I do something wrong? It was giftcards.com and Sunbasket.
This is my data point on the eShopping miles postings. Now, I've only been doing this since the start of the year, and I've made around a dozen purchases. The only times my miles did not post to my account (twice) was when I did not receive an email 12-24 hours from eShopping after I made the purchase (and only received one from the merchant). However, on both of those times it did show that I visited the merchant sites on those purchase dates in the "recent store visits" column. (Which is kind of a creepy thing because it tracks every site you visit. On the other hand, it does help in proving that you used the portal when submitting a missing miles request.)
Old May 12, 2022, 6:29 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Executive Platinum
Its not exactly a game-changer, but I have a merchant offer of 1.5% cashback at giftcards.com on my citi exec. So those no fee $250 visas are earning me 1000 LP (3x eshopping, 1x cc), plus $3.75 cashback. If I can use them on stuff Id normally earn 2x MR via my Amex BBP then it seems like its worth a moderate amount of hassle.
Old May 12, 2022, 8:35 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by murphy
Its not exactly a game-changer, but I have a merchant offer of 1.5% cashback at giftcards.com on my citi exec. So those no fee $250 visas are earning me 1000 LP (3x eshopping, 1x cc), plus $3.75 cashback. If I can use them on stuff Id normally earn 2x MR via my Amex BBP then it seems like its worth a moderate amount of hassle.
Do you think the Citi offer is stackable? The terms say something like "if you link offer on more than one site, only the most recent will count". I wouldn't want chasing an extra 1.5% to ruin the LP gravy train.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:40 am

Bought $250 Visa through giftcards[.]com. Attempting to buy another one today, order initially submits, get an email 15min later that the order is cancelled. Tried again, same thing. CS suggested I try to add my email and phone number (I did), try another card (I don’t want to?). What’s going on?
Old May 12, 2022, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bought $250 Visa through giftcards[.]com. Attempting to buy another one today, order initially submits, get an email 15min later that the order is cancelled. Tried again, same thing. CS suggested I try to add my email and phone number (I did), try another card (I dont want to?). Whats going on?
Did the order go through and showed up as pending in your credit card site? If not, the bank is likely blocking it as suspicious....Use a different card an/or change the amount.
Old May 12, 2022, 9:47 am

Did the order go through and showed up as pending in your credit card site? If not, the bank is likely blocking it as suspicious....Use a different card an/or change the amount.
Just $1 showed up as pending on the cc.
Old May 12, 2022, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
This is my data point on the eShopping miles postings. Now, I've only been doing this since the start of the year, and I've made around a dozen purchases. The only times my miles did not post to my account (twice) was when I did not receive an email 12-24 hours from eShopping after I made the purchase (and only received one from the merchant). However, on both of those times it did show that I visited the merchant sites on those purchase dates in the "recent store visits" column. (Which is kind of a creepy thing because it tracks every site you visit. On the other hand, it does help in proving that you used the portal when submitting a missing miles request.)
It does not track every site you visit. It tracks every site that you visit by clicking through from them. How is that creepy? Obviously if you follow their affiliate link they are going to track that. That's how this works.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.