Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
Maybe you're just trying to start an argument. They don't issue this form. Just be happy.

No argument bro. Just do not want get stuck with a 1099 come year end. Like Citi and now Chase.

Here is the response from BD. Will update once I hear anything else....

"I've submitted your concerns to the manager and she is going to contact our legal department about this issue. Once she hears something back we'll let you know. Thanks."
Old May 5, 2011, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by bigbenX
No argument bro.
Sure seems like it.
Like Citi and now Chase.
No. Citi sent a 1099 for a different bonus. Besides, they don't always send it. Someone even mentioned getting Citi to correct his 1099 to $0 (most hit a stone wall). And if you get a 1099 you can still use a different amount on your taxes. If you feel "it is obvious that ... warrants a 1099" and have some audit concern, then you're welcome to claim extra income on your personal tax form yourself without a 1099.

BankDirect has been awarding miles for years without any reports of 1099s here, so I can't understand the purpose of your letter. Maybe you should post it.

Last edited by rrgg; May 5, 2011 at 5:11 pm
Old May 5, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, AA Lifetime Gold
No argument bro. Just do not want get stuck with a 1099 come year end. Like Citi and now Chase.

Here is the response from BD. Will update once I hear anything else....

"I've submitted your concerns to the manager and she is going to contact our legal department about this issue. Once she hears something back we'll let you know. Thanks."
You are going to have a lot of unhappy campers upset with you if you just triggered a review by BankDirect's legal counsel that results in everybody in this forum getting 1099s next year.
Old May 5, 2011, 9:18 pm

Isn't that his intent? See also: drumdrum
Old May 5, 2011, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by bluto
You are going to have a lot of unhappy campers upset with you if you just triggered a review by BankDirect's legal counsel that results in everybody in this forum getting 1099s next year.
I'd be pissed as hell if this happens, but I highly doubt that the tax consequences of a mileage account never crossed the mind of anyone in legal department at major bank ... and then all the sudden some bozo's email gets them to send out a bunch of 1099s.
Old May 6, 2011, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Indeed but historically they have paid essentially 1 mile per $10. So seems with the changes they have tightened it up. I will know now to retain round balances
Yup, until this last month, I always received any odd number of miles, not something rounded down to the lower 100. Fair enough, I'll make sure my avg daily balance doesn't exceed x00 by more than a few $. And I don't believe I ever received a warning that this was going to happen.
Old May 6, 2011, 7:45 am

Programs: AA 1MM Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by honu
Fair enough, I'll make sure my avg daily balance doesn't exceed x00 by more than a few $. And I don't believe I ever received a warning that this was going to happen.
Is there somewhere on their site that you've seen which lists out your instant Avg Daily Bal? I could calc it of course, but since I don't have tens of thousands of $ to put in there to just sit for now, i'm using it for all of my normal transactions so would take a while to calc each time i want to see.
Old May 6, 2011, 10:41 am
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
Since the IRS has previously ruled that miles aren't taxable, I don't see why anyone here would go to BD trying to force them to take an alternative position. They (currently - according to the IRS) are not taxable.
Old May 6, 2011, 11:32 am

Programs: AA LT Plat - 2MM;HH Diamond
Originally Posted by glocklt4
Is there somewhere on their site that you've seen which lists out your instant Avg Daily Bal? I could calc it of course, but since I don't have tens of thousands of $ to put in there to just sit for now, i'm using it for all of my normal transactions so would take a while to calc each time i want to see.
I may be missing it, but is there a place that shows what your average daily balance was for the month even? I can't seem to find my "monthly statement". Is it available online?

Thanks,
Dan
Old May 6, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: aa
BD doesn't have online statements. You can calculate the approximate avg daily balance from the interest they pay you.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:12 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sun_aa
You need only pay one bill every month. AFAIK, the offer is only for the first year.
Is this from personal experience? Thanks.

According to the FAQ, you need three different merchants.

http://bankdirect.com/programs/aafaq.aspx?q=7

Not sure if they changed this in April.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Yep.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:35 am

Programs: aa
Originally Posted by seawolf
Is this from personal experience? Thanks.

According to the FAQ, you need three different merchants.

http://bankdirect.com/programs/aafaq.aspx?q=7

Yes. They changed it when they increased the bonus.
Old May 10, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Does anybody use MINT.com to track their accounts? I can't seem to figure out how to add BankDirect to my MINT.com account.
Old May 10, 2011, 3:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM+ GOLD, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by hobo13
Does anybody use MINT.com to track their accounts? I can't seem to figure out how to add BankDirect to my MINT.com account.
Sorry, this may not be much help; but, was able to use Yodlee-supported Bank of America's 'My Portfolio' to track BD accounts quite okay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.