Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrgg
I don't think so. I don't contact them to get bonuses for referrals. But I agree if you have a problem just sending a secure message works.
Very true - bonuses happen automatically, but I think that's because they're processed manually along with a new account opening.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL Silver, MR Plat, SPG Plat, CP Diamond, PC Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by needtoescape
Thanks to everyone who responded to my question above, but I guess what I should have asked is whether BankDirect would consider a one-time direct deposit of a tax refund as meeting its direct deposit requirement (I had assumed they were doing something systematically to identify "direct deposits" since they seem to be able to distinguish them from recurring "push" ACH transfers from other bank accounts), or if they only give bonus points for payroll direct deposits. Anyway, I guess there is no harm in directing my tax refund to BD to see what happens.

According to an email I received from BD regarding the DD,...

"The direct deposit simply needs to show up as "payroll" on the ACH from an employer and it just must be for a full paycheck (and not a portion such as just $100 for example)."
Old Apr 17, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: Air: Many; Hotel: HH D, HY G, IHG P, MR S, RR
Originally Posted by glocklt4
I highly doubt that a tax refund will work. I called BD about mine Fri and they looked at the name of the bank/company that sent the ACH and confirmed with me who it was (my company). It will be pretty obvious that it's a one-time tax refund coming from the IRS with the description and I highly doubt they will allow that to count as "direct deposit" being setup. Just my $.02, but YMMV.
Originally Posted by Jack Burton
According to an email I received from BD regarding the DD,...

"The direct deposit simply needs to show up as "payroll" on the ACH from an employer and it just must be for a full paycheck (and not a portion such as just $100 for example)."
Thanks, again, for the feedback. I figured this probably wouldn't work. I wish it wasn't such a pain to change my payroll DD, since I have two bank accounts where I could get DD bonuses.
Old Apr 17, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Perhaps they've changed their policy recently, but last year, I pushed two identical amounts from my Vanguard mutual fund to BD in consecutive months, and I was able to get BD to treat this as a direct deposit for purposes of getting the bonus miles.
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat (LT Plat 2.1 MM),United S, SPG P, Marriott P, Hyatt Diamond *-)-
I still have 2 mileage checking accounts.

does that mean I get 100 per $1k up to $200k for each account?

Or is the 25 miles per $1k after $200k per customer?
Old Apr 18, 2011, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AA_CPA
I still have 2 mileage checking accounts.

does that mean I get 100 per $1k up to $200k for each account?

Or is the 25 miles per $1k after $200k per customer?
I asked them and they told me that if you had the accounts pre-April 1, you get the good ratio on each account, up to $200k. Of course, I won't see the first miles to prove it until early May.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 12:57 pm

I'm signing up for BankDirect. I already have been referred.

On the sign up screen - I'm planning on checking:

"mileage checking with interest"
"I would like to View Accounts Online"

Anything else? Should I be checking the box for a savings or a money market account? Any reason to get any of the cards?

Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by uoficowboy
I'm signing up for BankDirect. I already have been referred.

On the sign up screen - I'm planning on checking:

"mileage checking with interest"
"I would like to View Accounts Online"

Anything else? Should I be checking the box for a savings or a money market account? Any reason to get any of the cards?

Thanks!
No need for the other accounts - you can always get them later if you decide they meet your needs.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by swag
No need for the other accounts - you can always get them later if you decide they meet your needs.
OK - but am I missing out on any sign up bonuses?

As in:
1K miles per account created. So maybe I should create a money market account and fund it with the minimal amount for a month, and then close it?

5K miles for using the bankdirect visa check card: so again, maybe I should be getting the visa check card and using it once?

And is there a fee for the check card? Or do I need a savings account or anything like that for it?

As far as I can tell no, but I'm not sure.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by uoficowboy
OK - but am I missing out on any sign up bonuses?

As in:
1K miles per account created. So maybe I should create a money market account and fund it with the minimal amount for a month, and then close it?

5K miles for using the bankdirect visa check card: so again, maybe I should be getting the visa check card and using it once?

And is there a fee for the check card? Or do I need a savings account or anything like that for it?

As far as I can tell no, but I'm not sure.
With respect to the check card bonus, I think it requires 10-12 transactions every month for 3 months. I can't find the details on the site at the moment, but I know I've seen it posted somewhere on FT in the recent past since it is a relatively new development. I don't believe you have to opt in for this activity the day you sign up. In fact, I'm under the impression that long-standing customers are eligible for this bonus if they meet the requirements.

As to the new money market account sign-up bonus, you'll have to decide whether the additional miles are worth it to you. The key is knowing what the minimum deposit requirements are to avoid monthly fees and the typical amount of time it takes for the bonus to post. That way you can decide whether the lower AA mileage earning rate is offset by the one-time bonus.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm working on the check card bonuses now:

In order to receive the additional 5,000 miles for 12 months of bill pay, you have to pay at least 3 different merchants per month from a BankDirect Mileage Checking Account through our online bill payment system for 12 consecutive months. The 5,000 miles are paid out at the end of the 12-month period. To receive mileage credit, contact BankDirect Client Support to notify us that you have met the minimum qualifications. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for the miles to post to your AAdvantage account.
There's a whole FAQ here that doesn't seem to be linked from anywhere:

http://www.bankdirect.com/programs/aafaq.aspx
Old Apr 19, 2011, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I'm working on the check card bonuses now:

You either cited the wrong FAQ, or you are working on a different bonus. The bill pay and check card bonuses are two different animals.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
You either cited the wrong FAQ, or you are working on a different bonus. The bill pay and check card bonuses are two different animals.
Yup - my bad. Here's the relevant quote:

In order to receive the additional 5,000 miles for VisaŽ CheckCard usage, you have to use the VisaŽ CheckCard on 12 transactions per statement cycle for 3 consecutive months. To receive mileage credit, contact BankDirect Client Support to notify us that you have met the minimum qualifications. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks for the miles to post to your AAdvantage account.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
With respect to the check card bonus, I think it requires 10-12 transactions every month for 3 months. I can't find the details on the site at the moment, but I know I've seen it posted somewhere on FT in the recent past since it is a relatively new development. I don't believe you have to opt in for this activity the day you sign up. In fact, I'm under the impression that long-standing customers are eligible for this bonus if they meet the requirements.

As to the new money market account sign-up bonus, you'll have to decide whether the additional miles are worth it to you. The key is knowing what the minimum deposit requirements are to avoid monthly fees and the typical amount of time it takes for the bonus to post. That way you can decide whether the lower AA mileage earning rate is offset by the one-time bonus.
Sounds like the check card is probably not worth it for me just yet. Maybe when I have more time.

And I just realized that to qualify for the money market you have to have over $10K otherwise you pay a $10 monthly fee. So this is quickly becoming not worth it.

Checking it is!
Old Apr 19, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by josephstern

I have never seen that page before, but after some poking around on their site, it actually is linked, but deep down in the "Apply Now" tab of this page: http://www.bankdirect.com/programs/aadvantage.aspx which you can get to from the Checking page by clicking on the "Mileage Program" link instead of the "Mileage Checking with Interest" link.

That site is so confusing and hard to navigate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.