Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2021, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: funnyfarm299
Miles usually post on Bask website on the second business day of the month, to AA a day or 2 later.

Check the "Rewards" section of your Bask dashboard or the Recent Activity section of your AA account.

Current earn rate as of June 2023: 2.5 miles/dollar/year, awarded monthly (no LP's).
Print Wikipost

Questions on BankDirect, now Bask Bank (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: A few
Originally Posted by seawolf
If your average balance is $29980, then 2900 is correct. They pay 100 miles per $1000; there's no pro-rating on amounts less than $1000. So, $29000 is used to calculate the miles.
Indeed but historically they have paid essentially 1 mile per $10. So seems with the changes they have tightened it up. I will know now to retain round balances
Old May 5, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
Originally Posted by honu
I too receive less miles than expected. It seemed that they rounded the total down to the lower 100 (e.g. $29980 got me 2900 miles). Similar result with mr. honu's account. Did they round down the amount of miles to the lower 100 in your case as well?
Yes, I received mileage rounded down to the lower 100 even though it qualified under normal rules to be rounded up.

If BD did decide to change their payment of miles in practice, it's a little aggravating that they did not give us specific notice of the change (unless it was buried in their new program roll-out description). I'll now be more careful on the timing and amounts of my future deposits with BD.
Old May 5, 2011, 9:14 am

Programs: Lifetime Gold AA, Gold Delta, Gold Starwood, Silver UA, Silver Hyatt, etc.
The sent out notices. Go to their website for specifics. Amounts over $200K are effected.

Originally Posted by ExitRowAisle
Yes, I received mileage rounded down to the lower 100 even though it qualified under normal rules to be rounded up.

If BD did decide to change their payment of miles in practice, it's a little aggravating that they did not give us specific notice of the change (unless it was buried in their new program roll-out description). I'll now be more careful on the timing and amounts of my future deposits with BD.
Old May 5, 2011, 9:14 am

If your average balance is $29980, then 2900 is correct. They pay 100 miles per $1000; there's no pro-rating on amounts less than $1000. So, $29000 is used to calculate the miles.
And I've got more than a year's worth of evidence that says there was pro-rating on amounts less than $1,000.

Originally Posted by dave209
The sent out notices. Go to their website for specifics. Amounts over $200K are effected.
I'm well aware of their change in policy on amounts over $200k. That doesn't impact me because I don't have over $200k.

Last edited by JY1024; May 5, 2011 at 11:19 am Reason: merged consecutive posts
Old May 5, 2011, 10:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
And I've got more than a year's worth of evidence that says there was pro-rating on amounts less than $1,000.
Everything they gave before was extra beyond the terms of 100 miles per $1000.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:11 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Everything they gave before was extra beyond the terms of 100 miles per $1000.
Correct! I questioned this as well and afterwards received an answer by email stating "The mile account has changed. Beginning April 1st, 2011, we are giving miles per $1,000.00 collected balance. So, if it is below $1,000.00, you will not receive any more miles. Your average collected balance for April was ??????."

Therefore you will not receive miles until you reach another $1000 threshold. And that is based on your monthly average balance.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Tmpy
Correct! I questioned this as well and afterwards received an answer by email stating "The mile account has changed. Beginning April 1st, 2011, we are giving miles per $1,000.00 collected balance. So, if it is below $1,000.00, you will not receive any more miles. Your average collected balance for April was ??????."

Therefore you will not receive miles until you reach another $1000 threshold. And that is based on your monthly average balance.
Just brought my BD account down to the next thousand dollar increment. There's really no point in leaving any incremental funds in an account that earns next to nothing in interest and absolutely no mileage.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:55 pm

Please forgive me if I am being paranoid but I think they should issue a 1099 as citibank does. Just not worth the risk if you get an IRS audit in the future. What so you guys think? Who should I contact?
Old May 5, 2011, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bigbenX
Please forgive me if I am being paranoid but I think they should issue a 1099 as citibank does. Just not worth the risk if you get an IRS audit in the future. What so you guys think? Who should I contact?
Citibank did it for a sign up bonus - not for miles in lieu of interest.

Tell me if you need a referral . . .
Old May 5, 2011, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Citibank did it for a sign up bonus - not for miles in lieu of interest.

Tell me if you need a referral . . .

Thanks for the offer, but miles in lieu of interest should warrant a 1099 / taxes compared to what Citibank did (bonus). Do you not see the risk here.
Old May 5, 2011, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the offer, but miles in lieu of interest should warrant a 1099 / taxes compared to what Citibank did (bonus). Do you not see the risk here.
Well, I opened my accounts in 2009, and the only 1099s I received from BankDirect for 2009 and 2010 were for the very, very small interest I've received.

So, no, going forward I don't see any risk.
Old May 5, 2011, 1:35 pm

Taxes on miles has been discussed a few times already. If you don't like this opportunity for miles, then move on to another.
Old May 5, 2011, 1:40 pm

Even though this is completely OT, why do you think that Citi is the barometer for determining whether something is being done correctly or not? They of all companies are the odd ball in sending out a 1099, and they aren't even consistent within house. For instance, their apparent position is that a bank account bonus should get taxed but a credit card bonus should not get taxed.
Old May 5, 2011, 2:10 pm

Even though this is completely OT, why do you think that Citi is the barometer for determining whether something is being done correctly or not? They of all companies are the odd ball in sending out a 1099, and they aren't even consistent within house. For instance, their apparent position is that a bank account bonus should get taxed but a credit card bonus should not get taxed.
I don't see it as a Citi thing, just that it is obvious that when giving miles for a $ deposit that could otherwise earn interest, warrants a 1099 / tax. Is it fair to other taxpayers who pay taxes on their deposits? In this case miles instead of interest should be require taxes, IMO. In case of credit card, the miles / cost is a part the price you pay when you shop so it is kind of a discount..

Just concerned if they start sending out 1099s in future or if there is a IRS audit (from what I know, you have to pay taxes regardless of a 1099 and with the Citi precedent it may cause problems..)
Old May 5, 2011, 2:23 pm

Maybe you're just trying to start an argument. They don't issue this form. Just be happy.

If you think this is unfair to other taxpayers, then it's also unfair not to pay income tax on other miles earned elsewhere, or maybe on cashback from credit cards and lots of other cases in various reward programs. Since you want to compare to Citi, look at the inflated valuation they use; Citi likely benefits from issuing those forms. Citi is not the gold standard of accounting.

If you search this forum you'll see more discussion of this tax issue. In fact, taxes on Bank Direct miles was even mentioned in the NY Times so it's no secret.

Last edited by rrgg; May 5, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.