Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lounge Access for oneworld First or Business Class Passengers

NOTE: This thread has received little use since the establishment of the thread HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017). Please use that thread to inquire about Lounge access. A few more recent posts have been moved to that thread.

Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on a oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers (link)

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.

• First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

• Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

• First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

• Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

2. Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.

Please see the following resources for further details on Class of Service Based Lounge Access Rules:

. . . oneworld Lounge Access Wizard , created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe

. . . ● AA.com: AA Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● FlyerGuide Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT thread: AAdvantage status-based access to AA & oneworld lounges (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2015, 8:20 am

Originally Posted by SANbound
I need help clarifying lounge access at a final stop on an itinerary with a CX long haul in F. Our itinerary is CX HKG-ORD in F, AA ORD-PHX in F, and US PHX-SAN in F. All flights depart on the same day. I'm fairly certain we'll have full OW lounge access at ORD, including the Flagship Lounge. We also have a 2 hour layover in PHX. Will we have access to the ACs in PHX with our CX boarding pass?

From AA.com regarding access:

First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when traveling between an international long haul* and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

From what I read, they may not allow us access as we are connecting domestic-domestic on that leg. Anyone have prior experience with this or clarification? FWIW, we are non-status and traveling on an AAward ticket.
You have access.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I will be arriving at JFK T8 from HEL in economy, continuing same day to Brazil in coach. Returning through JFK T8 again towards HEL all the way economy (ouch). All AA ticket, AY/AA metal. I will have long layovers in JFK, so:
-I am eligible to First class lounge at T8 right, as AY OWE?
-Is there time restrictions using the lounge?
-Can I go into the lounge on arrival to refresh myself, then go out to NYC for few hours, then come back to lounge again before departure?
-Can I guest a FT'er into the lounge?
My assumption is YES to all of these, but an experienced FTer please confirm

Last edited by FFlash; Feb 24, 2015 at 9:28 am
Old Feb 24, 2015, 8:23 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FFlash
I will be arriving at JFK T8 from HEL in economy, continuing same day to Brazil in coach. Returning through JFK T8 again towards HEL all the way economy (ouch). I will have long layovers in JFK, so:
-I am eligible to First class lounge at T8 right, as AY OWE?
-Is there time restrictions using the lounge?
-Can I go into the lounge on arrival to refresh myself, then go out to NYC for few hours, then come back to lounge again before departure?
-Can I guest a FT'er into the lounge?
My assumption is YES to all of these, but an experienced FTer please confirm
Just to double-check, as this thread is for lounge access based on class-of-service: are you flying J or F on any international legs that you may not have mentioned?

If you're trying to access the lounge based on your OWE status, we'll need to know just a little more about your flights...

You can access first class lounges as a OWE as long as you are traveling internationally (which it seems you are) and connecting onwards on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier (which is unclear based on what you provided).

No time restrictions in the sense that you can stay in there as long as you want.

As long as you're connecting onwards on an eligible flight, you can enter/exit the lounge as many times as you want. Feel free to enjoy NYC for a few hours.

As OWE, you can bring one guest with you, but the guest must also be traveling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld carrier.

Info is here under the "oneworld lounge access for frequent flyers by tier status" section. (Again, assuming you're trying to access lounges based on tier status, and not class of service.)

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access
Old Feb 24, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Thanks for the info
I wrote above that I am flying Y all the way, but I forgot to mention it is AA ticket all the way on Finnair&AA metal

Edited my earlier post...
EDIT2: I saw there is another thread on guesting lounge, will post there when getting closer to my flight
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Just bumping this thread to see if there have been any recent updates at FRA (last report seems to be about 18 months ago). Arriving on AA70 from DFW in J and wondering if I'll have access to any lounges with showers? Apparently US gives vouchers/fliers advertising arrivals access at JAL's Sakura but AA doesn't? Has that changed at all? Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
I'm flying ICN-DFW-CMI on all AA(AE) metal, where ICN-DFW is Business (C) Upgrade Award and DFW-CMI is Economy 1-class American Eagle. I'm not sure about lounge access in DFW, as AA website states:

Originally Posted by http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/airportAmenities/AdmiralsLocations.jsp
American Airlines International Premium Class
Customers in First or Business Class traveling to or from Europe, Asia, South America, Central America and Mexico City only. All other international destinations are excluded from the benefit of lounge access. Passengers eligible for access must provide their government-issued ID and a First or Business Class ticket or boarding pass valid for departure on the same-day or before 6:00 a.m. the following day. Stopovers are not permitted.
which doesn't address connections unlike oneworld FC/BC section.

Does anyone have experience on similar itinerary? Thanks!
Old Mar 29, 2015, 8:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by toukoaozaki
I'm flying ICN-DFW-CMI on all AA(AE) metal, where ICN-DFW is Business (C) Upgrade Award and DFW-CMI is Economy 1-class American Eagle. I'm not sure about lounge access in DFW, as AA website states:

which doesn't address connections unlike oneworld FC/BC section.

Does anyone have experience on similar itinerary? Thanks!
You will have access in DFW and CMI, if CMI had a club.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by sukn
You will have access in DFW and CMI, if CMI had a club.
Thanks for the information. As a confirmation, I had no issues using the club in DFW.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:06 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Flying in May on a business award ticket ATL->LAX->HNL->PEK with AA (Hawaiian for the last leg). I should have access at lounges at any of those stops along the way right?
Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Flying in May on a business award ticket ATL->LAX->HNL->PEK with AA (Hawaiian for the last leg). I should have access at lounges at any of those stops along the way right?
AFAIK, no. Hawaiian is not a oneworld partner, so only domestic lounge policies would apply - no lounge access unless Hawaiian offers lounge access in HNL.

A $50 one day lounge pass would allow ATL, LAX and HNL Admirals Club the day of travel (I'm not sure ATL has a Club).
Old Apr 2, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: AA EP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JDiver
AFAIK, no. Hawaiian is not a oneworld partner, so only domestic lounge policies would apply - no lounge access unless Hawaiian offers lounge access in HNL.

A $50 one day lounge pass would allow ATL, LAX and HNL Admirals Club the day of travel (I'm not sure ATL has a Club).
Hm ok, and for that I actually have a US lounge pass from when I got the Barclaycard, but I thought that was only good for myself + 1 guest for a single entry to a lounge? As in, I could use 1 of those 3 lounges?

Atl does have a club btw.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shootermcgav1n
Hm ok, and for that I actually have a US lounge pass from when I got the Barclaycard, but I thought that was only good for myself + 1 guest for a single entry to a lounge? As in, I could use 1 of those 3 lounges?

Atl does have a club btw.
I'm not familiar with the US Club pass.

A good deal for some is the Admirals Club thirty day membership (it's not a pass - it gets you and up to two guests or accompanying immediate family members (even if more than two) at all Clubs (whether you're flying or not) over a thirty day period for $99.
Old May 20, 2015, 2:33 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Strange question. Say I have an itin LAX-JFK-LHR in AA/BA First. Will I have access to the Flagship Lounge in ORD that morning, connecting carrier notwithstanding? Or would I need to be departing ORD on AA?
Old May 20, 2015, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kalendil
Strange question. Say I have an itin LAX-JFK-LHR in AA/BA First. Will I have access to the Flagship Lounge in ORD that morning, connecting carrier notwithstanding? Or would I need to be departing ORD on AA?
I'm not sure which is your transatlantic operating carrier. If it's AA, you'd be able to access the Flagship Lounge if departing in longhaul Flagship First class. See the wiki.

If you're Executive Platinum / Emerald, ditto.

If you're on BA First departing Terminal 5, you'll have Flagship Lounge access, but as you depart T5 you're better off using the BA Terraces / First lounge there, I think. (between gates M-11 and M12).

Last edited by JDiver; May 20, 2015 at 3:29 pm
Old May 20, 2015, 3:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Executive Club
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm not sure which is your transatlantic operating carrier. If it's AA, you'd be able to access the Flagship Lounge if departing in longhaul Flagship First class.

If you're Executive Platinum / Emerald, ditto.

If you're on BA First departing Terminal 5, you'll have Flagship Lounge access, but as you depart T5 you're better off using the BA Terraces / First lounge there, I think. (between gates M-11 and M12).
Well, the complicated part comes in here: the res (it's an award) is just the LAX-JFK-LHR. I'll be positioning to LAX from home base ORD on [whoever's cheapest and not Spirit/Frontier]since AA is particularly non-competitive on ORD-LAX.

I guess my actual question is: if I am flying [not AA] ORD-LAX, can I still get ORD FLounge access based on my same day BA First TATL flight? I am just a lowly Plat.

Example for reference: Virgin ORD-LAX, AA LAX-JFK, BA F JFK-LHR, all same day (yes, it can be done, just barely heh)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.