Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA status-based access to Admirals Clubs & oneworld lounges (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

I am flying in C ORD-BRU on AA connecting in Y to an AA flight number/SN operated flight BRU-FLR.

Can I use either the SN lounge or BA lounge during my transit?

I would think just the BA since I am in Y and EXP but not too sure.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MODERATOR'S NOTE

This thread has now been consolidated with several related threads regarding AAdvantage status-based (PLT, EXP) access to Admirals Clubs, Flagship Lounges, and other oneworld Lounges when traveling on 'international' itineraries (Europe, Asia, Central and South America, and Mexico City).

Please note the following important resources for determining lounge access:

AA.com: Lounge Access Policies
oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Lounge Search
FT AA FAQ: Will I have lounge access on my itinerary?
AA wiki: Lounges

Also check out the new :-: oneworld Lounge Access Wizard :-:, created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe!

dstan
AA Forum Co-Moderator

Last edited by dstan; Oct 13, 2009 at 3:48 pm Reason: oneworld lounge access wizard
Old Feb 22, 2008, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
The BA lounge, which is quite nice and quiet, can be accessed by AA PLTs and EXPs, regardless of class of ticket. It does not have a shower.

The SN lounge, however, is only accessible by those with Business Class tickets. AA Status does not count at all. So your C ticket is ok. This lounge if often quite busy in the morning.
SN has a shower, although it's in the Diamond lounge down the hall on the right past the BA lounge.

note: wifi access costs 20Euro/day minimum, there is no hourly rate! Both lounges have computers with internet access that you can use for free.

note2: SN won't let you board early even as an EXP unless you are SN Business Class or unless you have high enough Privilege status. SN is not a full OW partner.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA lt Gld - 1.7MM; UA GS; Marriott LT Plt; Thalys Gold
Outbound you'll have to connect to the schengen terminal in BRU and it has no BA club so it may be challenging finding an option. The BA club in the non-schengen terminal is in the departure area. I'm not sure whether or not t's accessible from the arrival area. Maybe someone knows.

Inbound you won;t have any problems using the BA lounge.

Originally Posted by billgrates3
The BA lounge, which is quite nice and quiet, can be accessed by AA PLTs and EXPs, regardless of class of ticket. It does not have a shower.

The SN lounge, however, is only accessible by those with Business Class tickets. AA Status does not count at all. So your C ticket is ok. This lounge if often quite busy in the morning.
SN has a shower, although it's in the Diamond lounge down the hall on the right past the BA lounge.

note: wifi access costs 20Euro/day minimum, there is no hourly rate! Both lounges have computers with internet access that you can use for free.

note2: SN won't let you board early even as an EXP unless you are SN Business Class or unless you have high enough Privilege status. SN is not a full OW partner.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Originally Posted by billgrates3
SN is not a full OW partner.
This statement is misleading, as is much of this thread.

SN is not part of Oneworld. (There is no such thing as partial Oneworld member!).

As SN is not part of Oneworld, Oneworld benefits do not apply to SN.

On your outbound, you will be connecting to SN. As EXP lounge access is a OneWorld benefit, you will not have access to the BA lounge (the only Onewold lounge at BRU AFAIK).

I do have several experiences transiting BRU flying AA + SN and trying to visit the BA lounge. On most occasions I have been denied access when they see that my AA flight is operated by SN - not Oneworld. However a couple times they did not notice. (Once I showed my ORD-BRU boarding pass and they though it said BRU-ORD and let me in.)

SN does have a nice lounge of their own, but is only for their own elites and their business class passengers. (It is quite a nice lounge too.)

On your return, your next flight will be on AA, a Oneworld member. So you will have access to the BA lounge.

How I do wish SN would be invited to Oneworld. (BA probably doesn't want this!)

Last edited by wanaflyforless; Feb 22, 2008 at 11:26 pm
Old Feb 23, 2008, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 0.8MM, Skyward, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless
This statement is misleading, as is much of this thread.

SN is not part of Oneworld. (There is no such thing as partial Oneworld member!).

As SN is not part of Oneworld, Oneworld benefits do not apply to SN.

On your outbound, you will be connecting to SN. As EXP lounge access is a OneWorld benefit, you will not have access to the BA lounge (the only Onewold lounge at BRU AFAIK).

I do have several experiences transiting BRU flying AA + SN and trying to visit the BA lounge. On most occasions I have been denied access when they see that my AA flight is operated by SN - not Oneworld. However a couple times they did not notice. (Once I showed my ORD-BRU boarding pass and they though it said BRU-ORD and let me in.)

SN does have a nice lounge of their own, but is only for their own elites and their business class passengers. (It is quite a nice lounge too.)

On your return, your next flight will be on AA, a Oneworld member. So you will have access to the BA lounge.

How I do wish SN would be invited to Oneworld. (BA probably doesn't want this!)
So let me get this clear, next week I'm flying IST-JFK on AA flight # operated by TK, so I can't use the BA lounge? I thought I could use OW lounges whenever I'm flying AA metal and AA codeshare flights.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:37 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, UA GS, AMEX PLAT, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum
In september I flew ORD-BRU-VIE on AA/SN. AA checked me in for both flights and printed by BP for BRU-VIE on AA ticket paper. When I got to BRU, I went to the Lounge Area (only found the lounges for *A and the OW Iberia lounge). Showed my AA printed BP, and PLT card and they let me into the contract run Iberia lounge. Nothing to write home about, but had a few drinks and relaxed. I was going out of Terminal A, therefore the IB lounge made more sense.

according to oneworld.com there are three lounges that are available in BRU.

BA Terraces
Location details: Terminal B, Gate B1, 4th floor
Opening hours: Daily 06:00-21:00

Iberia Lounge
Location details: 3rd floor Satellite - terminal A
Opening hours: Daily 06:00-22:00

SN Brussels Lounge**
Location details: Terminal A, lounge level (4th floor)
Opening hours: Daily 05:30-22:00

**Operated by a third party on behalf of: Finnair
*** At peak periods, access to certain lounges may be restricted due to capacity constraints. Access is available on the day of departure when the next onward flight is with a oneworld member airline. Access may not apply at a limited number of third party lounges.

Last edited by netsc; Feb 23, 2008 at 8:42 am Reason: added OW lounges at BRU.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As wannaflyforless states clearly (and oneworld and American Airlines access rules do too,) the outbound flight must be operated and markleted by a oneworld airline for access to a oneworld lounge. Codeshares mean absolutely nothing and are not eligible for lounge access, other than for the occasional mistaken admission.

In this instance, if the OP were on a B-Flex fare, there would be access to the Brussels Airlines lounge in the Schengen terminal. On arrival at the north Zaventem terminal, the OP will have to go through the BRU equivalent of flight connections, no hope of using the BA lounge, nor would the OP be granted access to use it as an arrivals lounge.

Links to both policies are in the Unofficial Users' Guide, but I will provide them (yet) again.

Admirals Club Lounge Access Policies

oneworld lounge access policy

which states, in part:

"Access to Airline Lounges

The oneworld® alliance airlines provide more than 500 lounges across the globe. If you are an Emerald or Sapphire level top-tier member of one of our frequent flyer programmes, you will have access to any of these lounges before departure, no matter which oneworld airline you are flying. Lounge access is available if the departing flight from that airport is marketed and operated by a oneworld carrier. Access is subject to lounge capacity."

Originally Posted by IST_flyer
So let me get this clear, next week I'm flying IST-JFK on AA flight # operated by TK, so I can't use the BA lounge? I thought I could use OW lounges whenever I'm flying AA metal and AA codeshare flights.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP 0.8MM, Skyward, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver

"Access to Airline Lounges

The oneworld® alliance airlines provide more than 500 lounges across the globe. If you are an Emerald or Sapphire level top-tier member of one of our frequent flyer programmes, you will have access to any of these lounges before departure, no matter which oneworld airline you are flying. Lounge access is available if the departing flight from that airport is marketed and operated by a oneworld carrier. Access is subject to lounge capacity."
Thank you for the clarification. I was hoping, at least on my flight back (jfk-ist), I could use the AC... well I'll have to suck it up and wait like everyone else.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: aa exp 1MM, alaska air, united, hhonors gold, spg gold
Originally Posted by IST_flyer
I was hoping, at least on my flight back (jfk-ist), I could use the AC... well I'll have to suck it up and wait like everyone else.
...or join the AC.
Old May 21, 2008, 4:09 pm
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP "Life is good! Really good.""
Lounge access TBIT at LAX

I've read the Oneworld site and the AA Wiki, but still have a quick question:

Can an AAPlat flying Qantas in coach access the Qantas lounge at TBIT?

Thanks.
Old May 21, 2008, 4:13 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lili
I've read the Oneworld site and the AA Wiki, but still have a quick question:

Can an AAPlat flying Qantas in coach access the Qantas lounge at TBIT?

Thanks.
You will have access to the OW Shared lounge at TBIT.
Old May 21, 2008, 4:26 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by HNL
You will have access to the OW Shared lounge at TBIT.
Thank you. The Oneworld site called it a First and Business lounge, so wasn't sure I'd be welcome.
Old May 21, 2008, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Remember that some QF flights at LAX operate at T4 (AA's terminal). As a PLT, you will get Admiral's Club access in connection with your international itinerary.
Old May 21, 2008, 4:45 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by CO FF
Remember that some QF flights at LAX operate at T4 (AA's terminal). As a PLT, you will get Admiral's Club access in connection with your international itinerary.
Thanks, I didn't know that. Just checked, and my flight is T4. At least I know my way around there.

You just saved me a lot of trouble. I would have headed straight for TBIT as noted on the LAX website.
Old May 21, 2008, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
To reconfirm:
  • Qantas flights from LAX to SYD/JFK depart from T4
  • Qantas flights from LAX to BNE/MEL/AKL depart from TBIT.

More here:And, as you are flying to SYD then on to HBA using a Qantas codeshare on JQ metal (which departs from SYD T2), please note the following:
Transfer between Terminals:

Transferring from T1 (International Airport) to T2 and T3 (Domestic Airports):
After you clear customs, recheck your baggage at the Seamless Transfer Check-in counters and then board the shuttle bus for the Domestic terminal.* The shuttle bus service is available to passengers that are travelling or have travelled on a Qantas flight (including codeshare flights) or oneworld flight. It operates from 6am to 12noon every 10 minutes and from 12noon until 9.40pm every 20 minutes. The bus arrives at T3 opposite Gate 1. Check the screens for departure gate information.
Transferring between T3 and T2 (Domestic Airports):
Walking is the best method and takes approximately 7 minutes. Simply follow the pedestrian walkways and directional signs through the car park or through the airport train tunnel link.

Last edited by serfty; May 21, 2008 at 7:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.