Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lounge Access for oneworld First or Business Class Passengers

NOTE: This thread has received little use since the establishment of the thread HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017). Please use that thread to inquire about Lounge access. A few more recent posts have been moved to that thread.

Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on a oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers (link)

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.

• First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

• Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

• First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

• Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

2. Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.

Please see the following resources for further details on Class of Service Based Lounge Access Rules:

. . . oneworld Lounge Access Wizard , created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe

. . . ● AA.com: AA Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● FlyerGuide Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT thread: AAdvantage status-based access to AA & oneworld lounges (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Searched but didn't see anything specific to SDQ.

Am flying AA business class aard tix tomorrow SDQ-JFK. Appears only OneWorld lounge is Iberia. Can I access based on class of service? If not, do my AA plat, BA silver or Citi Exec Cards help?
Technically you'll have access by both flying J and by being AA Plat/BA Silver (aka, OW Sapphire). If you have a companion flying with you (and not in J), then the OW tier will let you guest them.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC, HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Flying QF F next January SYD-LAX, then connecting to AA LAX-AUS. Will I have Flagship Lounge access on arrival into LAX?

Of course I would expect so, but the language on the Flagship Lounge rules found on aa.com (http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...hipLounges.jsp), say

oneworld First Class international* customers when departing on or connecting to a oneworld marketed and operated flight
oneworld Emerald customers** when departing on or connecting to any oneworld marketed and operated flight, regardless of cabin flown. Access is valid on a same day itinerary.
*For the purpose of Flagship Lounge access, eligible international cities include flights traveling to or from Europe, Asia, Central and South America and Mexico City only. All other international destinations are excluded from the benefit of lounge access.
Is Oceania/Australia intentionally omitted, or is this an oversight?

Cheers,
Cameron
Old Mar 31, 2013, 6:10 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Technically you'll have access by both flying J and by being AA Plat/BA Silver (aka, OW Sapphire). If you have a companion flying with you (and not in J), then the OW tier will let you guest them.
Thanks! The access was seamless...

The lounge itself left something to be desired but as it was empty, made for a nice playground before TylerDurden Jr. go on board the 4 hour flight.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 9:25 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Longhornmaniac8
Flying QF F next January SYD-LAX, then connecting to AA LAX-AUS. Will I have Flagship Lounge access on arrival into LAX?

Of course I would expect so, but the language on the Flagship Lounge rules found on aa.com (http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...hipLounges.jsp), say

Is Oceania/Australia intentionally omitted, or is this an oversight?

Cheers,
Cameron
Yes, you will have access. Just show them your QF F BP and you'll get in.
Old Apr 10, 2013, 1:07 pm

I'm flying SAN > HNL on Alaska Airlines first class, which I booked through AA using miles. Return is also Alaska first class, but booked with BA miles. Will I have access to the Admirals Clubs in SAN and HNL? I've tried to make sense of this from the AA website, but I'm completely confused.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.6 MM
Japan Club Use

Hello,

I am flying on an award J ticket ORD-NRT on JL and then connecting NRT-ITM in Y (due to JAL rules).

On the return, I am flying ITM-NRT on JAL in Y and connecting to AA F NRT-ORD.

I am only a GLD on AA. I know that in Chicago, I can only use the Admirals Club.
What about in NRT while I wait for the flight to ITM?

When I check in at ITM can I use the club at ITM?

When at NRT can I use the JAL F lounge or only the AA F Lounge?
Any suggestions on the best F Lounge at NRT?

Thanks!
Old Apr 11, 2013, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by maggersmagoo
I'm flying SAN > HNL on Alaska Airlines first class, which I booked through AA using miles. Return is also Alaska first class, but booked with BA miles. Will I have access to the Admirals Clubs in SAN and HNL? I've tried to make sense of this from the AA website, but I'm completely confused.
Business Class and First Class passengers on Oneworld airlines always have access to AC. You must be ticketed on an outbound flight that day, in a premium cabin. It doesn't matter how you "paid" for the flight. It matters what cabin you're ticketed in. You've redeemed miles for a premium experience which includes booze, lounges, PriorityAAccess, and a host of other things.

So, yes and yes.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 6:53 pm

I'm flying SAN > HNL on Alaska Airlines first class, which I booked through AA using miles. Return is also Alaska first class, but booked with BA miles. Will I have access to the Admirals Clubs in SAN and HNL?
Alaska is not in OneWorld, so OneWorld lounge rules wouldn't apply here. There is a reciprocal agreement between AA and Alaska for members of their respective lounges. I don't know of any such program for class-of-service based access, particularly on a domestic flight.
Old Apr 11, 2013, 7:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As it states in AA's language, as quoted in the first post (which often has some good information in this forum with an added moderator not):

[/quote]Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may have access to a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.

First Class passengers may be accompanied by one guest travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

Customers flying in Economy class on a domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling on the longhaul segment.[/quote]

oneworld airline lounge access page states

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:
First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul* and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa). (* a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours)
Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.
You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
Some of the specific lounge location threads have a lot of information about people's preferred lounges.

Originally Posted by danosu77
Hello,

I am flying on an award J ticket ORD-NRT on JL and then connecting NRT-ITM in Y (due to JAL rules).

On the return, I am flying ITM-NRT on JAL in Y and connecting to AA F NRT-ORD.

I am only a GLD on AA. I know that in Chicago, I can only use the Admirals Club.
What about in NRT while I wait for the flight to ITM?

When I check in at ITM can I use the club at ITM?

When at NRT can I use the JAL F lounge or only the AA F Lounge?
Any suggestions on the best F Lounge at NRT?

Thanks!
Old Apr 21, 2013, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Clarification re: connecting pax

Here are the pertinent details re: upcoming trip in Early May for my Mom. She's in her 70s, in reasonably good health, and although she's been to Europe many many times, this will be her first time traveling to Europe alone. I really don't want my Mom having to haggle/fight w/the BA staff to get into the lounge so any clarification would be greatly appreciated:

1) Mom has no elite status w/AA/OW, etc..
2) She's flying JFK-LHR on an AA award ticket, booked in Z, arriving T3
3) She's connecting in LHR to a paid BA ticket, booked in Y, departing from T1
4) the itineraries are linked, but separate PNRs b/c 1 is award, 1 is paid

I was going to sign her up for 5 Star Service - but they are informing me that she won't have access to BA lounge in T1 b/c it is two different tickets. I've reviewed the OW worlds, and its clearly stated that the Int'l Z ticket should allow her access to a BA lounge for a connecting Y flight. However,
I don't see it written anywhere that it has to be on the same ticket to gain access.

(PS: She has enough time to use the AA arrivals lounge - but I know she's not going to love the idea of going through immigration, and then back through t1 security, etc..)
Old Apr 21, 2013, 3:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by yyzgayguy
Business Class and First Class passengers on Oneworld airlines always have access to AC. You must be ticketed on an outbound flight that day, in a premium cabin. It doesn't matter how you "paid" for the flight. It matters what cabin you're ticketed in. You've redeemed miles for a premium experience which includes booze, lounges, PriorityAAccess, and a host of other things.

So, yes and yes.
No and no. See below...

HNL is not international. AS is not oneworld. Double whammy. F class flights to/from Hawaii (both AS & AA) don't qualify for any type of lounge access.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
As it states in AA's language, as quoted in the first post (which often has some good information in this forum with an added moderator not):
Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may have access to a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.

First Class passengers may be accompanied by one guest travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

Customers flying in Economy class on a domestic or intra-European segment to connect to or from a oneworld longhaul First or Business Class flight can also use the lounge applicable to the class in which they are travelling on the longhaul segment.[/quote]

oneworld airline lounge access page states

Some of the specific lounge location threads have a lot of information about people's preferred lounges.[/QUOTE]

I was declined entry at an Admirals Club on a day I was flying domestically in F. My itinerary was the one domestic flight in F, followed by an international flight in C a few days later. I was told that I would not be admitted as club access is only on the day of the international flight. After the refusal, I looked up the rules and it seemed that the refusal was proper.

Is the language quoted now consistent with that or have I missed something here?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 12:36 pm

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
This from page one of this thread:

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/

:::Quote:::
oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class travellers

When you fly First or Business Class with a oneworld member airline, you are free to enjoy that airline’s First or Business Class lounge (depending on which class you are flying) before departure, regardless of your frequent flyer tier status.
:::End Quote:::

Okay I'm confused -- I thought I had read in other threads that if one was flying AA first from T3 LHR for example, one could go to the BA Galleries First Lounge or the CX First Lounge instead of the FL - but in fact that is not the case?
Old Apr 30, 2013, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by matinicus rock
This from page one of this thread:

http://www.oneworld.com/ffp/lounge-access/

:::Quote:::
oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class travellers

When you fly First or Business Class with a oneworld member airline, you are free to enjoy that airline’s First or Business Class lounge (depending on which class you are flying) before departure, regardless of your frequent flyer tier status.
:::End Quote:::

Okay I'm confused -- I thought I had read in other threads that if one was flying AA first from T3 LHR for example, one could go to the BA Galleries First Lounge or the CX First Lounge instead of the FL - but in fact that is not the case?
Read the link to the oneworld site. The language you quote is not current.
Old Apr 30, 2013, 3:26 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
In order to prevent confusion, we've removed the last two iterations of the "class of service" lounge access language and simply updated the mod note in the first post with the current language.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.