Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lounge Access for oneworld First or Business Class Passengers

NOTE: This thread has received little use since the establishment of the thread HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017). Please use that thread to inquire about Lounge access. A few more recent posts have been moved to that thread.

Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on a oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers (link)

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.

• First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

• Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

• First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

• Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

2. Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.

Please see the following resources for further details on Class of Service Based Lounge Access Rules:

. . . oneworld Lounge Access Wizard , created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe

. . . ● AA.com: AA Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● FlyerGuide Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT thread: AAdvantage status-based access to AA & oneworld lounges (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You will have access in MIA, and in MAD you will have to process immigration and proceed from Terminal 4-S (satellite) to Terminal 4 (take the lifts, not the escalators,) by train. Once in Terminal 4, you should be able to access the Dalí lounge, as you are traveling onward on a oneworld carrier. Be sure to check out the Rincón del Vino (wine tasting).

Originally Posted by UAkls
Do not usually fly AA (hence the name) but will be flying AA DFW-MAD-LIS soon. The DFW-MAD leg is in business while the MAD-LIS leg in economy. Anyone know if I will access to the Iberia Lounge in MAD on the basis of the TATL business ticket?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 8:55 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Er, you will arrive and go landside after processing immigration and customs; the CDG arrivals lounge closed years ago. By "CP" we assume you mean CX, Cathay Pacific - as Canadian Pacific / CP Air has been sadly gone form the scene for longer than the CDG arrivals lounge.

Originally Posted by FlyingTexasGal
As an EXP will I have access to an arrivals lounge at CDG?

Any comments on the CP lounge vs the AA lounge?

Thanks
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Platinum
Yes, thank you. I meant CX lounge not CP lounge.

Any comments on the CX and AA lounges at CDG? Are either worth this lounge lizard getting to the airport early?
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by phlashba
I understand the "same day" rule but didn't "same day" used to mean within a 24 hour period? I could have sworn I was told this years ago when coming in late from Asia in J; sleeping overnight at a NYC hotel; and then flying on a domestic leg the next afternoon qualified me under class of service rules. Apparently it is not this way now so perhaps I am imagining things.
For EXP/PLT, they will often let you in the next day, particularly if it was a forced layover, but they don't have to. I think they are a bit stricter on class-of-service access, as it has really been quite a while since your flight, but still it doesn't hurt to ask politely with a smile, and that often works. It's good to know what you are entitled to, as marching up to the desk and slapping down yesterday's international J boarding pass while saying "International Business Class Passenger" is probably not the magic password. Not implying that was you, but I have seen that not work.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any comments on the CX and AA lounges at CDG? Are either worth this lounge lizard getting to the airport early?
Worth it to me or worth it to you? For me, no, I would not get to the airport earlier than AA's recommended 180 minutes prior to departure just to use the lounge some more. But it might be worth it to you.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
"For EXP/PLT, they will often let you in the next day, particularly if it was a forced layover, but they don't have to. I think they are a bit stricter on class-of-service access, as it has really been quite a while since your flight, but still it doesn't hurt to ask politely with a smile, and that often works. It's good to know what you are entitled to, as marching up to the desk and slapping down yesterday's international J boarding pass while saying "International Business Class Passenger" is probably not the magic password. Not implying that was you, but I have seen that not work."

Thanks gemac! ^
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by phlashba
"For EXP/PLT, they will often let you in the next day, particularly if it was a forced layover, but they don't have to. I think they are a bit stricter on class-of-service access, as it has really been quite a while since your flight, but still it doesn't hurt to ask politely with a smile, and that often works. It's good to know what you are entitled to, as marching up to the desk and slapping down yesterday's international J boarding pass while saying "International Business Class Passenger" is probably not the magic password. Not implying that was you, but I have seen that not work."

Thanks gemac! ^
If you want to quote someone's post, try hitting the "QUOTE" button in the lower right hand corner of their post. It will be loads easier, and will be cleaner/easier to understand. You're welcome.
Old Mar 22, 2012, 3:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond

None of the two lounges is worth extra time at the airport. CDG 2A is not the best of terminals. CX lounge has better drinks selection (including champagne) but the AA lounge is more spacious (and it is closer to the AA gates) and has a very nice business centre.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 2:15 pm

I've read this entire thread as well as the Lounge Access page at aa.com and I think I'm more dazed and confused now than I was before I started.

This summer, my wife and I are flying in First on AAward tickets (fare code Z) as follows:
MCO > DFW > HNL, returning OGG > LAX > MCO
We don't have status on AA.

Clearly, these flights are not international, so we don't get lounge access that way.
MCO > DFW clearly isn't transcon. How is DFW > HNL treated, since that flight is longer than any literal transcon? Same with OGG > LAX. LAX > MCO sure seems to me like it should be transcon, but it's not on the list of transcon routes on the lounge access page.

And to confuse me even more, I've seen the term "long haul" thrown around this thread a bit. Seems we have at least 3 legs that common sense would consider long haul.

Bottom line: will we have lounge access anywhere along our route?

Thanks to all for the great information provided.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 5:13 pm
HNL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by YourNameHere
I've read this entire thread as well as the Lounge Access page at aa.com and I think I'm more dazed and confused now than I was before I started.

This summer, my wife and I are flying in First on AAward tickets (fare code Z) as follows:
MCO > DFW > HNL, returning OGG > LAX > MCO
We don't have status on AA.

Clearly, these flights are not international, so we don't get lounge access that way.
MCO > DFW clearly isn't transcon. How is DFW > HNL treated, since that flight is longer than any literal transcon? Same with OGG > LAX. LAX > MCO sure seems to me like it should be transcon, but it's not on the list of transcon routes on the lounge access page.

And to confuse me even more, I've seen the term "long haul" thrown around this thread a bit. Seems we have at least 3 legs that common sense would consider long haul.

Bottom line: will we have lounge access anywhere along our route?

Thanks to all for the great information provided.

No lounge access at all.

If you carry the AMEX Plat card you can access the AC, or you can pay $50 per person for a day pass.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by HNL
No lounge access at all.
That's what I suspected. Thanks for the quick reply.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Interestingly my wife and I were coming back to the US yesterday via LHR and both of us were on an AA flight, although she was flying F and I was in business. I presented my EXP card so we could get into the BA Galleries First lounge and the attendant cleared my BP 1st. She asked if my wife was my guest, told her yes, and then she took her BP to scan and said "you could get it on your own too since you're flying First". Didn't say anything, but was a little surprised since the BA Lounge folks are usually very strict with the rules, so I don't know what to read into it..
Does anyone have any more info on this? My mother and I are connecting at LHR from AA to BA, we are arriving in AA F and would like to use the Galleries First Lounge, is this still possible? Is it possible to bring in a guest? Thanks!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA SPG Amex
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Does anyone have any more info on this? My mother and I are connecting at LHR from AA to BA, we are arriving in AA F and would like to use the Galleries First Lounge, is this still possible? Is it possible to bring in a guest? Thanks!
Yes, I've done this before. In fact, my flights weren't even on the same PNR for the connection. Per OW rules, when making a long-haul to short-haul connection (with both flights on OW airlines) then the long-haul flight class of service will govern the lounge access during the connection regardless of the short-haul class of service.

What you will not have is access to the BA CCR; one must fly BA F for that.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Upgraded!
Yes, I've done this before. In fact, my flights weren't even on the same PNR for the connection. Per OW rules, when making a long-haul to short-haul connection (with both flights on OW airlines) then the long-haul flight class of service will govern the lounge access during the connection regardless of the short-haul class of service.

What you will not have is access to the BA CCR; one must fly BA F for that.
Thanks, I wasn't sure if there was a change to the rules and you could only access the lounge for the airline whose flight you were on in F. Hopefully that is not the case.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by FAA1996
Thanks, I wasn't sure if there was a change to the rules and you could only access the lounge for the airline whose flight you were on in F. Hopefully that is not the case.
There was a short period where the oneworld website reflected that rule. It has since been reversed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.