Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2013, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Lounge Access for oneworld First or Business Class Passengers

NOTE: This thread has received little use since the establishment of the thread HELP DESK: Will I Have Lounge Access? Access, Rules (2017). Please use that thread to inquire about Lounge access. A few more recent posts have been moved to that thread.

Relax in more premium lounges around the world

If your oneworld® frequent flyer tier status is Emerald or Sapphire, or you are traveling in a First or Business Class cabin on a oneworld member airline, you can access more than 600 airport lounges throughout the world.

This means you can relax or catch up with work in comfort and style before departure, regardless of which oneworld member airline you choose to fly with.

To be eligible, you must be departing on a flight that is both marketed and operated by a oneworld member airline.
  • Some lounges may get busy at peak times, and access to them may be restricted as a result.

• Lounges operated by third parties are identified in the lounge finder tool (above). Access to these lounges is restricted to eligible customers when travelling on specific oneworld airlines as shown in the lounge finder tool.

• Arrivals lounges are excluded.

• Spa and Pre-Flight Dining facilities are excluded.

• British Airways Concorde lounges are excluded.

• Other exceptions may apply (see below).

oneworld lounge access for First Class or Business Class customers (link)

Indulge yourself before departure in a wider range of airport lounges when you fly First Class or Business Class with any oneworld member airline.
  • Customers flying First or Business Class have access to the equivalent class of lounge regardless of their frequent flyer status. First Class passengers may use a Business Class or frequent flyer lounge if a First Class lounge is not available.

• First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline.

• Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

• First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).

• Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

• You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
The following exceptions apply:
  1. First and Business Class customers who do not hold Emerald or Sapphire tier status are not eligible to access American Airlines lounges when travelling on solely domestic flights within the U.S. or between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico [except Mexico City], the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean; customers travelling in First or Business class on U.S. transcontinental flights between JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO and MIA-LAX (and vice-versa) are eligible for lounge access.

2. Guests are not permitted at Qatar Airways Al Safwa and Al Mourjan lounges at Hamad International Airport in Doha or Qatar Airways Premium Lounge at London Heathrow Terminal 4.

Please see the following resources for further details on Class of Service Based Lounge Access Rules:

. . . oneworld Lounge Access Wizard , created by FlyerTalk member imagineertobe

. . . ● AA.com: AA Lounge Access Rules

. . . ● oneworld.com: Lounge Access Rules and Search Tool

. . . ● FlyerGuide Wiki: Lounges

. . . ● FT thread: AAdvantage status-based access to AA & oneworld lounges (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Lounge Access Based on Class of Service (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Question

Originally Posted by bdemaria
Here are the pertinent details re: upcoming trip in Early May for my Mom. She's in her 70s, in reasonably good health, and although she's been to Europe many many times, this will be her first time traveling to Europe alone. I really don't want my Mom having to haggle/fight w/the BA staff to get into the lounge so any clarification would be greatly appreciated:

1) Mom has no elite status w/AA/OW, etc..
2) She's flying JFK-LHR on an AA award ticket, booked in Z, arriving T3
3) She's connecting in LHR to a paid BA ticket, booked in Y, departing from T1
4) the itineraries are linked, but separate PNRs b/c 1 is award, 1 is paid

I was going to sign her up for 5 Star Service - but they are informing me that she won't have access to BA lounge in T1 b/c it is two different tickets. I've reviewed the OW worlds, and its clearly stated that the Int'l Z ticket should allow her access to a BA lounge for a connecting Y flight. However,
I don't see it written anywhere that it has to be on the same ticket to gain access.
How did this all work out? I will be traveling STL-LHR on a Z award (AA metal), then onto CDG via a purchased Y (BA), because it's quicker than doing the Heathrow-St. Pancras shuffle. It would be nice if we could pass the post-transfer layover in a T5 lounge. As noted before, I know what the rules say, but arguing with a lounge dragon is not the way I want to start a 15-day vacation...

Thanks!
Old Jun 4, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iplaybass
How did this all work out? I will be traveling STL-LHR on a Z award (AA metal), then onto CDG via a purchased Y (BA), because it's quicker than doing the Heathrow-St. Pancras shuffle. It would be nice if we could pass the post-transfer layover in a T5 lounge. As noted before, I know what the rules say, but arguing with a lounge dragon is not the way I want to start a 15-day vacation...

Thanks!
I've never had any challenges getting into the F Lounges, even with different tickets (separate PNRs) when arriving in LHR in either direction (before/after LH).

Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights:

First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul* and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa). (* a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours)

Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight.

You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 6:44 am

Programs: BA, VA
Another confused person here!!!

We have Business seats from JFK to LAX booked via BA Avios, so would all three of us be able to access one of the lounges at JFK?

On our return flight LAX-JFK, two of us have Business seats, but I could only book an AA Economy Anytime rewards seat. However, as I hold a BA Silver card, could we all have lounge access at LAX, or only the two with the Business seats? I suspect the answer will be that I will be sat outside the lounge gazing in!!

Many thanks.

Last edited by tonymc; Jun 6, 2013 at 7:33 am
Old Jun 6, 2013, 7:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by tonymc
We have Business seats from JFK to LAX booked via BA Avios, so would all three of us be able to access one of the lounges at JFK?

On our return flight LAX-JFK, two of us have Business seats, but I could only book an AA Economy Anytime rewards seat. However, as I hold a BA Silver card, could we all have lounge access at LAX, or only the two with the Business seats?
You would all have Admirals Club access at each end of the trip. Bring your boarding passes with you, and in the case of a non-AA oneworld Sapphire member flying in economy do be sure that your status is correctly reflected on the BP or ensure that you have your card with you. The non-AA Sapphire member is entitled to bring one guest, so there's no chance that the one bloke in economy is stuck.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 2:24 pm

Programs: BA, VA
Many thanks Microwave - greatly appreciated. At least I won't be stuck outside the lounge watching my wife and daughter enjoy the amenities
Old Jun 14, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Silver, HHonors Gold
The AA lounge access page only seems to refer to ACs, so just want to be sure I can guest in a friend on my itinery.

I will be flying BA F LHR-JFK connecting to DCA same day (in Y, for all that matters). My friend will be in Y all the way. It's not clear that I can guest in a guest to the Flagship Lounge in T8, though I know I have access myself. Can I guest in a guest for our onward flight?.

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by SpurMan
I will be flying BA F LHR-JFK connecting to DCA same day (in Y, for all that matters). My friend will be in Y all the way. It's not clear that I can guest in a guest to the Flagship Lounge in T8, though I know I have access myself. Can I guest in a guest for our onward flight?
From oneworld lounge access: "First Class passengers may invite one guest to join them in the lounge. The guest must also be travelling on a flight operated and marketed by a oneworld airline."
Old Jul 19, 2013, 4:18 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Flying JFK-LHR on AA in Biz with wife and daughterand a five hour layover before our connecting flight with BA in Y LHR-MAD. No status with Oneworld.

Am looking for suggestions. Start out at AA Arrival lounge, then mosey over to one of the BA T5 lounges? Would we have access to any other arrival lounge? Or do you have something better we should do?

Thanks in advance friends.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 5:04 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by GuyverII
Flying JFK-LHR on AA in Biz with wife and daughterand a five hour layover before our connecting flight with BA in Y LHR-MAD. No status with Oneworld.

Am looking for suggestions. Start out at AA Arrival lounge, then mosey over to one of the BA T5 lounges? Would we have access to any other arrival lounge? Or do you have something better we should do?

Thanks in advance friends.
If you don't want to clear immigration and customs (which you don't need to when transiting via the UK to a Schengen country) then head straight over to Terminal 5 where you will have access to Galleries Clubs North and South. Just make sure you keep your AA J boarding passes and present them with you onward BPS to MAD.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold (4 life), Delta Platinum, Starwood Gold, IC RA
Upgrading 1 of 2 legs - lounge access

Hoping for some help. Have a flight to South Africa booked thru AA. Flying AA to LHR in business (upgraded) and BA to JNB in coach. Can one use the BA lounge (T5) while waiting for the connecting flight based on the initial AA flight to LHR being in business.
Thx
Old Sep 3, 2013, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL DM; AS 75K; Marriott Titanium Elite
I'm sure someone with greater knowledge will respond, but I don't believe that you'll have lounge access. You'll have it departing the States, but not at Heathrow unless you are Oneworld Sapphire or Emerald, or flying BA Club World or First.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 5:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Based on this post (updated April 2013) you will have business access.

I suspect you will soon be chastised for not searching - all I did was access the sticky at the top of the page...

EDIT: Alerting mod for post merging

Last edited by Madison Guy; Sep 3, 2013 at 5:47 pm Reason: Alerting Mod
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:19 pm

Programs: AA Gold (4 life), Delta Platinum, Starwood Gold, IC RA
Originally Posted by Madison Guy
Based on this post (updated April 2013) you will have business access.

I suspect you will soon be chastised for not searching - all I did was access the sticky at the top of the page...

EDIT: Alerting mod for post merging
Thanks for answering and alerting, the post should be moved.

Having said that, the problem arises here: "Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight." The 2nd international flight is not short haul, it is longer than the first international flight.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT - 2.9MM, Lifetime AC, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Hertz Precs Crcl
Originally Posted by kleinms
Thanks for answering and alerting, the post should be moved.

Having said that, the problem arises here: "Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight." The 2nd international flight is not short haul, it is longer than the first international flight.
A totally valid point that I totally overlooked. I didn't see the origin point, but I suspect it would sure qualify as "long-haul" versus "short haul". The fact the you are long-haul to long-haul I suppose could in fact mess things up.

Hopefully someone with the actual experience can reply. (But I suspect most in J on the TATL segment will also be on the other long segment.)

Sorry for missing the obvious.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 10:19 am
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by kleinms
Hoping for some help. Have a flight to South Africa booked thru AA. Flying AA to LHR in business (upgraded) and BA to JNB in coach. Can one use the BA lounge (T5) while waiting for the connecting flight based on the initial AA flight to LHR being in business.
Thx

And now I've merged this into the Class-of-Service-based lounge access thread and hopefully someone will be able to address this "long-haul business - to - long-haul economy" question.

/Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.