Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2013, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Glossary:

500 mile upgrades: earned by Gold and Platinum Elites, can be used to upgrade segments in 500 mile increments of North and Central America, Caribbean flights from Economy to the next class of service.. Read below.

e500: Occasional nickname used for 500 mile upgrades.

Electronic or 500 mile upgrades: non-expiring electronic instruments used for near Americas and Caribbean elite upgrades; please read below.

MTEU: Miles Toward Electronic Upgrades. The MTEU earning year zeroes February 28.

Stickers: Holdover name from when 500 mile upgrades were actual stickers applied to tickets when upgraded.

UDU: Unlimited Domestic Upgrades granted EXP and PRO members in lieu of earning or using 500 mile upgrades. (Consequently, they do not earn “stickers”.)

Related thread: End of Feb insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2017). (Requesting "stickers" for incremental MTEU threshold accomplishment.)

NOTE: CHANGES in effect as of 1 January 2017:

Upgrade priority:
  • Elite tier
  • Systemwide and Mileage award upgrades
  • Business Extra and certain Agency upgrade certificates
  • 500-mile / courtesy DODU / UDU upgrades on purchased tickets
  • 500-mile upgrades on PRO, EXP award tickets
  • Last 12 month rolling EAD spend
  • Fare code
  • Date if purchase

Platinum Pro status holders join Executive Platinum members with complimentary "Unlimited Domestic Upgrades / UDU.
  • Usable to upgrade from Economy to next class of service (Not Business to First)
  • Flights 500 miles or less: Unlimited, auto-requested complimentary upgrades*
  • Flights over 500 miles: Complimentary "domestic" (North & Central America, Caribbean) upgrades
  • Upgrade one companion traveling with you on the same flight with 500-mile upgrades*

Companions:
ONE passenger traveling with you can “borrow” your status for upgrade purposes. They do not have to be on the same PNR. When this is done, you’ll not be upgraded unless sufficient upgrade seats become available to upgrade two (or more) people. This link often is broken when the flight control goes to the airport, and it can be reestablished there (e.g. at the gate). A good clue that the link has broken is if you’re #1 or 2 and your companion is significantly below that on the upgrade list, such as #11. Finally, because of IT flaws, the 500 mile upgrades for your traveling companion will by necessity come from your account, even if your companion has their own “stickers”. This has not been true for some time, if your companion has status, the system will try to pull the stickers from the companion's account. If there are not enough stickers, you will have to check-in at the airport to have stickers pulled from your account

For questions about whether to split or consolidate PNRs for itineraries involving multiple parties, please see this thread:
Companion upgrade issues including "link" / split PNR for status etc. (master thread)

Link to aa.com 500 mile upgrades (AKA "stickers") page.

Link to aa.com to "Upgrade your experience".

Print Wikipost

AA "Sticker" / 500-mile & EXP "UDU" Complimentary Upgrade Policy / FAQ

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
I had two hub-hub upgrades clear right at 100 hours each this week for MIA-PHL and the return. Granted, one was mid-day Wednesday and the other late night Saturday, but the system is working as it should AFAIK.

You may want to call for the C4 flight and see if they can remove and re-add you to see if that gets it processed.
I called and was told that i'm on the list properly, it's just not processing the upgrades yet. Should I HUCA?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
I called and was told that i'm on the list properly, it's just not processing the upgrades yet. Should I HUCA?
No, EXP comp upgrades can clear at anytime between 100 hrs before a flight right up to the gate. Just because there are open seats doesn't mean that AA will necessarily release sticker upgrade space. In fact it's usually quite the opposite, of course a lot of it depends on the route and day/time, but I couldn't tell you the last time I had a EXP upgrade clear at 100 hrs out.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by danorum
I have searched through this thread (but maybe my search skills are lacking). Does the MTEU reset Jan 31 now with the membership year, or Feb 28th? The Wiki still says Feb 28, but I thought this was the year that the membership year changed.

EDIT - Looks like it is Jan 31 now. I am not a heavy poster here, but should the wiki be updated? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...rs-2018-a.html
I had rolled over 4 more on January 28th, had a red-eye HNL-DFW that left HNL at 9:00 on 1/31, landed in Dallas on the first, 3984 miles flushed (towards stickers) because of the time zone at the departure city. Not that I have a snowballs chance clearing on my flight to/from HNL as a lowly gold anyway.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
No, EXP comp upgrades can clear at anytime between 100 hrs before a flight right up to the gate. Just because there are open seats doesn't mean that AA will necessarily release sticker upgrade space. In fact it's usually quite the opposite, of course a lot of it depends on the route and day/time, but I couldn't tell you the last time I had a EXP upgrade clear at 100 hrs out.
And just to show how YMMV it is, I had two clear (for 2 pax each) this week at 100 hours. Go figure.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by jvel
Has anyone had any luck getting pro-rated stickers today after the counter reset?

I was about halfway to 4 more and just called in asking if they would do so, but was shot down.
I called today, was a little over halfway, and was given 1 sticker. Better than nothing I suppose...
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Recently about half of mine clear at 100 hours and the other half clear at 26-28 hours (of the ones that clear in advance, that is).
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Recently about half of mine clear at 100 hours and the other half clear at 26-28 hours (of the ones that clear in advance, that is).
Same here - many of mine have been clearing at T-26.5 on the dot.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:12 am
Suspended

48hrs out, still haven’t cleared.

Last edited by GetSetJetSet; Feb 6, 2019 at 4:17 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:16 pm
Suspended

EXP

EWR-ORD: 10 available seats, ~39 hours out, not clearing.
connecting to
ORD-MSY: 10 available seats, not clearing.

Strange.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
EXP

EWR-ORD: 10 available seats, ~39 hours out, not clearing.
connecting to
ORD-MSY: 10 available seats, not clearing.

Strange.
Travel alert for ORD this week. Ops anticipates those seats may be needed to re-accommodate paid Business/First? I find even on routes I routinely clear in advance become battlefield upgrades or no upgrades during IRROPS.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:40 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Segments

Travel alert for ORD this week. Ops anticipates those seats may be needed to re-accommodate paid Business/First? I find even on routes I routinely clear in advance become battlefield upgrades or no upgrades during IRROPS.
We'll see if tomorrow morning I have cleared into this empty cabin at t+24 check in time...
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:03 am
Suspended

EWR-ORD cleared at t+26.5, the ORD-MSY hasn't cleared yet.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:21 am
Suspended

Odd, CLT-LGA return cleared 100h out but ORD-MSY and MSY-CLT still haven't what is ops doing regarding flights in and out of NOLA. Holding space on WIDE OPEN F cabins.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 9:25 am
Suspended

ORD-MSY cleared around 26h out.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 12:08 pm
Suspended

Lucky me. EWR-ORD went tech, rerouted through CLT to MSY and bumped out of F and back to Y on both legs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.