Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

End of Jan insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2020)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 4, 2018, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The "upgrade year" for earning 500 mile "stickers" ends the last day of January. Though existing "stickers" (they originally were stickers applied to your ticket when you were upgraded) do not expire, your earning miles counter resets at midnight the last day of February.

Technically, that means if you had, say, 11,000 miles toward electronic upgrades (MTEU) at midnight 31 January, you would start at zero on 01.Febryary. But actually, during the last few years, many Gold and Platinum members have been successful requesting prorated "stickers" - one with 11,000 MTEU would request three "stickers", since normally four would be issued at 12,500 MTEU nodes.

Expect some agents to say "no" for various invented reasons. If one does, thank them, hang up and call again.

The general rule of thumb is to call one's status line and request one "sticker" per 3,125 MTEU earned by midnight the last day of January.

For further information, see "Sticker" / 500-mile E-Upgrades & EXP "UDU" Upgrade Protocols / Questions

Prior posts have been archived to https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2007533-archive-end-jan-insufficient-miles-4-500-mile-upgrade-stickers-2018-19-a.html

Print Wikipost

End of Jan insufficient miles for 4 500 mile upgrade stickers (2020)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Anyone have luck asking for 2020 yet? I just asked for 2 since I was at 7750 EQM
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Anyone ever successfully request for 500-mile upgrades you missed out on because you made Platinum Pro right before the treshhold for the next 4 500-mile upgrades?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

I can report back that they easily gave me the two stickers after emailing in. Looks like this advice is still valid this year.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
A few years ago I made such a request, I think I ended the year just under a 12,500 mile threshold and they gave me the stickers.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by MathMusic
I can report back that they easily gave me the two stickers after emailing in. Looks like this advice is still valid this year.
Did you "email" via Contact Us on aa.com, or did you send a normal email to AAdvantage Customer Service?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Did you "email" via Contact Us on aa.com, or did you send a normal email to AAdvantage Customer Service?
I did the "email" via Contact Us on aa.com
Old Feb 10, 2020, 2:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
I was in a similar position. I emailed, and they replied saying they would give me 2 stickers as an exception. But I just went to look to see if they deposited, and my sticker count has mysteriously decreased by one rather than increased by two. Guess I need to email again...

Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.