Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Sheer Speculation: Rumored AAdvantage Changes Coming in May 2009?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheer Speculation: Rumored AAdvantage Changes Coming in May 2009?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2009, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA GLD .25MM, CO, UA, US, DL, HH, SPG (all cardboard)
As far as sheer speculation goes, I'll happily give tom911 a Gold Aadvantage Card in exchange for his Black one. Or just let them switch the colors. Either way, for the next year there will be enough confusion that I can wave my card that either was the old or is the new top tier and see if the details get overlooked.
Old May 5, 2009, 8:32 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
HUH? What "information" has been shared?
What is the point of starting a thread to post a hint of "changes" without providing any clue of what the changes are? Of course it is fair to question it.
I meant in other threads, at other times...where the information was actually coincident with the start of the thread. We're in complete agreement about the current thread.

Cheers.
Old May 5, 2009, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
Hmm. I think I recall mine is a dark Navy blue. (I don't carry it much - my identification and AAdvantage number reduce the plastic cards I must carry around by one.)
For many years, mine used to be navy blue, but a few years ago, AA sent me a black one and all subsequent ones have been black. I'm only an annual member, not lifetime. Perhaps lifetime still get nice navy cards?
Old May 5, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: AA - Executive Platinum HHonors - Diamond
Originally Posted by CardinalTree
I did a survey last week that was primarily focused on the AA booking engine. It asked whether I use price+schedule or just schedule to search for flights, as well as to rate the qualities/features of each.

One of the questions (among many others) towards the end asked to rate how important it was to be able to search for flights that earned miles. Survey seemed geared towards seeing how the price+schedule search had been received, but some info in it could have broader application.
What I find interesting is that it often seems like AA moves to cut costs/raise revenues without seeing the bigger picture. For example the checked bag surcharge which has resulted in more bags being brought aboard, which increases turnaround times.

Offering "no miles" on the lowest fares means a lot of the business travelers (who are required to buy the lowest fare offered) will evaporate; how does AA not get this?
Old May 5, 2009, 9:17 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Philoj
Offering "no miles" on the lowest fares means a lot of the business travelers (who are required to buy the lowest fare offered) will evaporate; how does AA not get this?
If you're truly buying solely on price, then what difference does a loyalty scheme make? The loyalty scheme is there to get you to make slightly irrational choices when AA is more expensive / less convenient. AA's can presumably be more competitive and therefore can sell more tickets if it doesn't have to carry the 5-10% free travel cost for those passengers buying solely on price.

FWIW I still don't believe airline tickets are bought solely on price, but AA seems to have trouble getting out of this commodity, one size fits all mentality.
Old May 5, 2009, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Philoj
What I find interesting is that it often seems like AA moves to cut costs/raise revenues without seeing the bigger picture. For example the checked bag surcharge which has resulted in more bags being brought aboard, which increases turnaround times.

I always buy the cheapest fares I can find. I have never had a flight on AA that didn't earn miles, so I don't know what NEW fares you are referring to. The checked bag and other fees will earn AA billions of dollars this year. I think that probably outweighs the delays that might result.
Old May 5, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
<snip> The checked bag and other fees will earn AA billions of dollars this year. I think that probably outweighs the delays that might result.
Billions? Really? You sure about that? Because AMR's trailing twelve month revenue was only about $23 billion (that's the entire business). So are you sure the checked bag fees (and the few other fees) will add "billions?"

Regards
Old May 5, 2009, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scubadu
Billions? Really? You sure about that? Because AMR's trailing twelve month revenue was only about $23 billion (that's the entire business). So are you sure the checked bag fees (and the few other fees) will add "billions?"
Last year, Other Revenue (including checked bag fees, upgrade sales, Buy on Board items, etc.) added nearly $2.2 billion, and in the first quarter of this year the total was $558 million, up over last year, even though total revenue was down about 20% year over year. Two billion is "billions," so I'd say that mvoight's assertion is accurate.
Old May 5, 2009, 10:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
Pardon my ignorance: What other site?
Old May 5, 2009, 10:31 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
Perhaps we will be able to search on the aa.com website for award seats on partner airlines?
Old May 5, 2009, 10:37 am

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Last year, Other Revenue (including checked bag fees, upgrade sales, Buy on Board items, etc.) added nearly $2.2 billion, and in the first quarter of this year the total was $558 million, up over last year, even though total revenue was down about 20% year over year. Two billion is "billions," so I'd say that mvoight's assertion is accurate.
I guess it's possible AA is taking the next step to becoming an AC clone. Do you happen to know the comparable numbers for their "Other Revenue"?
Old May 5, 2009, 10:54 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
The checked bag and other fees will earn AA billions of dollars this year.
Originally Posted by scubadu
Why not? Please note that mvoight said dollars, not US dollars.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dallas49er
Pardon my ignorance: What other site?
I think it's called travelingbetter. There's a link up in this thread someplace. Looks like some sort of an FT clone.
Old May 5, 2009, 11:57 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bernardd
If you're truly buying solely on price, then what difference does a loyalty scheme make? The loyalty scheme is there to get you to make slightly irrational choices when AA is more expensive / less convenient. AA's can presumably be more competitive and therefore can sell more tickets if it doesn't have to carry the 5-10% free travel cost for those passengers buying solely on price.

FWIW I still don't believe airline tickets are bought solely on price, but AA seems to have trouble getting out of this commodity, one size fits all mentality.
There's usually some leeway - if AA is close to the cheapest, I (like many other business travelers) can justify it by arguing that the times are more convenient, or the airport is more convenient, etc.

I make this argument because I want to accrue AA miles. Take away those miles, and I stop making the argument. Or worse, I shift to an airline that has a better loyalty scheme.

For me, airline tickets are not bought solely on price. The AAdvantage program is one of AA's differentiators for which I am willing to pay more.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by aktchi
Why not? Please note that mvoight said dollars, not US dollars.
Let me clarify that. BILLIONS of US Dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.