Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Sheer Speculation: Rumored AAdvantage Changes Coming in May 2009?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheer Speculation: Rumored AAdvantage Changes Coming in May 2009?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2009, 4:39 pm

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
I recently participated in an AA "survey" wherein, included among the choice of answers ranked on importance to me, was "flights that earn FF miles". I got a sick feeling in my stomach that there may be changes forthcoming in the awarding of FF miles on low fares. I hope I'm wrong. Wish I had printed out the survey but didn't think about that until afterwards and there was no way to get it back. Anybody else get that survery?
Old May 3, 2009, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by dalm
I recently participated in an AA "survey" wherein, included among the choice of answers ranked on importance to me, was "flights that earn FF miles". I got a sick feeling in my stomach that there may be changes forthcoming in the awarding of FF miles on low fares. I hope I'm wrong. Wish I had printed out the survey but didn't think about that until afterwards and there was no way to get it back. Anybody else get that survery?

I did a survey last week that was primarily focused on the AA booking engine. It asked whether I use price+schedule or just schedule to search for flights, as well as to rate the qualities/features of each.

One of the questions (among many others) towards the end asked to rate how important it was to be able to search for flights that earned miles. Survey seemed geared towards seeing how the price+schedule search had been received, but some info in it could have broader application.
Old May 3, 2009, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Yes, I also recently completed an AA survey which, among other things, asked me about fares that would not earn miles.

edited to add that I cross-posted with the post above. I am referring to the same survey. They were asking about the price+schedule booking page and had questions about what fares were shown. (including or not fares that didn't earn miles)
Old May 3, 2009, 8:25 pm

Programs: Top Tiers for 2013 AA, MR, PC Thanks FT!
That was the same survey - regarding the booking engine and which search criteria I deemed most important.
Old May 3, 2009, 9:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
Since May is Anniversary month and the <redacted> "other" site has speculated that something is in the air, I thought we could play the "Guess the Change" game.

My entry is that it has something to do with finally adding one-way awards to match other programs.

I'm very much hoping that it does not affect the Million-Miler program, at least until I make one (and two) million miles.
I wonder what the purpose is in making a post that "stuff" will be happening, without providing any details. Wouldn't it be more useful to wait until the details can be made public? Rather than a guessing game, I'd rather see factual information.
Old May 4, 2009, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bill_Luv2Fly
Judging by the excitement level of the OP on the other site, the changes must be substantive---something that changes the shape of the program in ways much more so than the addition of one-way awards.
<redacted>
I think there is little value in creating a thread saying you know there are changes coming, but can't reveal what they are. Originally he hinted they were positive, but in a later post, he isn't so sure. I care about knowing how changes will affect me, not that there are some unknown changes coming. There are always unknown changes coming, at some point.

Last edited by JDiver; May 4, 2009 at 1:30 pm Reason: personal information redacted
Old May 4, 2009, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Steve M
Well, how about AA's change from a few years ago from AA-only and individual single-partner/AA awards to All-partner awards, for the most part at the same award levels? That was a huge increase in flexibility.
That brought with it the cancellation of some very popular airline-specific awards, including North America to South Africa via HKG on Cathay Pacific, which was bookable for b/w 135-145 K miles in F (forget the exact amount). The same award, which limits you to connecting in Europe, is now 200K.

It also made it much harder to get to Australia on award travel.
Old May 4, 2009, 3:56 pm
hmv

Maybe it will be possible to book flights with miles+money...??
Old May 4, 2009, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by hmv
Maybe it will be possible to book flights with miles+money...??
AA canceled the ability to do exactly that w/in the last 18 months so bringing that program back doesn't really fit the criteria of the changes outlined elsewhere
Old May 4, 2009, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichaelColey
He seems to indicate that the changes will be generally good, so I doubt it's any of the things speculated here.
I think he originally said that, then he backpeddled a bit saying he didn't know if they would be good or bad.
Old May 4, 2009, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by brp
Any folks who know of JonNYC's time here, or who read the other site, know of his penchant for being correct, and his ability to get folks who know things to let him reveal the information. In all my time, he's been wrong maybe a small handful of times, and quickly recanted. That leaves him well over 95% correct on what he says. Really hard to question that.

I'm sure he has his reasons for starting the thread there before any of the details can be made available, and letting us know that something is coming, even if he can't say what it is. To the untrained, it might seem a thread devoid of information that was started prematurely but, as he mentions, there's a lot that goes into what he can and can't post.

Given his reputation, I think it's unfair for us to question why he started the thread now rather than waiting until he could post the actual information. I daresay that, when the content becomes available, the reasons for starting the thread now will become apparent.

Until then, I think we should appreciate the information that he is able to share with us, and the work he has to go through to get it, and decide on appropriate times.

Cheers.
HUH? What "information" has been shared?
What is the point of starting a thread to post a hint of "changes" without providing any clue of what the changes are? Of course it is fair to question it. <redacted by moderator>

Last edited by dstan; May 4, 2009 at 7:12 pm Reason: redacted personal information
Old May 4, 2009, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
Exactly. I go there for information, I come here to waste time.
How much real information does the related thread have on that site?
Old May 4, 2009, 7:14 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Folks, please reread JDiver's admonition below. This thread needs to stay on the topic of sheer speculation about changes to the AAdvantage program.

(Never thought I would see myself write that!)

Originally Posted by JDiver
Moderator's note:

We can certainly speculate about possible pending changes at American if we choose to - and it does seem FT-AA has taken on a speculative bent in a number of its discussions - but let's keep on TOS by avoiding ad hominem and attacks on each other and on others.

This Forum is about American Airlines, AAdvantage, flying and miles, not about personalities, other websites, or even speculating about those.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Old May 4, 2009, 7:22 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA Gold, IC Diamond AMB, HH Diamond
not saying it has anything to do with anything, but since we're speculating: it was posted late today on "that other site" that "Rumor says, temporarily, all new award reservation holds will expire 11:59pm on May 8th for system updating."

Could this mean the "stuff" being speculated about has to do with award reservations?
Old May 4, 2009, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dstan
Folks, please reread JDiver's admonition below. This thread needs to stay on the topic of sheer speculation about changes to the AAdvantage program.

(Never thought I would see myself write that!)
That is understood, but since the OP referenced the other site, it seem like that was part of the topic being discussed. Had the other site not been mentioned, it would not have crossed my mind. I have nothing more to say on this issue, until there is some actual information to discuss about the changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.