Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Sheer Speculation: Rumored AAdvantage Changes Coming in May 2009?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheer Speculation: Rumored AAdvantage Changes Coming in May 2009?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2009, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by Bill_Luv2Fly
...maybe AA will take the lead in changing to a reward system more closely aligned with $$$ spent on tickets...
You mean long routing and clever "tricks" won't help, and all the Mileage Runs will have to become Spending Runs?

Personally I think you are all wrong and AA is planning to bring the olive back...
Old May 1, 2009, 3:17 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
Originally Posted by Bill_Luv2Fly
...but maybe AA will take the lead in changing to a reward system more closely aligned with $$$ spent on tickets.
Qualifying by EQP's only would be a relatively easy step in that direction, perhaps with a change in the number required for each level so they get roughly the same number of qualifiers they have today.
Old May 1, 2009, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by bernardd
Qualifying by EQP's only would be a relatively easy step in that direction, perhaps with a change in the number required for each level so they get roughly the same number of qualifiers they have today.
IMO there will be no "tightening" of qualifying criteria given the recession- the current double qualifying miles charade is evidence of that.

Let's see what comes.....
Old May 1, 2009, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA 2.2MM LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott/SPG Platinum
He seems to indicate that the changes will be generally good, so I doubt it's any of the things speculated here.
Old May 1, 2009, 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
The thread on the "other site" truly is a joke. And it used to be at least there was some AA info over there, but truly a dead site.
How is it dead? There's lots of good info there, usually well before AA (or FT) announces it.
Old May 1, 2009, 3:56 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Let's put this all in perspective

Any folks who know of JonNYC's time here, or who read the other site, know of his penchant for being correct, and his ability to get folks who know things to let him reveal the information. In all my time, he's been wrong maybe a small handful of times, and quickly recanted. That leaves him well over 95% correct on what he says. Really hard to question that.

I'm sure he has his reasons for starting the thread there before any of the details can be made available, and letting us know that something is coming, even if he can't say what it is. To the untrained, it might seem a thread devoid of information that was started prematurely but, as he mentions, there's a lot that goes into what he can and can't post.

Given his reputation, I think it's unfair for us to question why he started the thread now rather than waiting until he could post the actual information. I daresay that, when the content becomes available, the reasons for starting the thread now will become apparent.

Until then, I think we should appreciate the information that he is able to share with us, and the work he has to go through to get it, and decide on appropriate times.

Cheers.
Old May 1, 2009, 4:11 pm
chj

Programs: BA, UA, DL
I'm in 100% agreement with brp. Couldn't have said it better.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled pointless speculation.
Old May 1, 2009, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by brp
Any folks who know of JonNYC's time here, or who read the other site, know of his penchant for being correct, and his ability to get folks who know things to let him reveal the information. In all my time, he's been wrong maybe a small handful of times, and quickly recanted. That leaves him well over 95% correct on what he says. Really hard to question that.

I'm sure he has his reasons for starting the thread there before any of the details can be made available, and letting us know that something is coming, even if he can't say what it is. To the untrained, it might seem a thread devoid of information that was started prematurely but, as he mentions, there's a lot that goes into what he can and can't post.

Given his reputation, I think it's unfair for us to question why he started the thread now rather than waiting until he could post the actual information. I daresay that, when the content becomes available, the reasons for starting the thread now will become apparent.

Until then, I think we should appreciate the information that he is able to share with us, and the work he has to go through to get it, and decide on appropriate times.

Cheers.
There has been rumors of changes to AAdvantage since late last summer and fall. In terms of TB, there is some good AA information from time to time, but other than that IMHO the site is a one trick pony.
Old May 1, 2009, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Explat / UA Silver
Originally Posted by brp
I agree 100% as well. While the "other" sit may get criticized, they tend to focus much less on speculation and tend to be right often.

Matt
Old May 1, 2009, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Clearing upgrades within elite status by fare code makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. One issue is that AA begins to clear EXP upgs at 100 hours and PLT at 72 hours and of course someone booking a last minute business trip at big $$s might still lose out on an upgrade possibility. So to make this work AA would need to reduce the window for clearing upgrades.

Personally since I buy my tixs weeks in advance, I would not like to see this change. But from a revenue reward prespective, I could certainly understand it.
I agree that it makes sense. I could see AA making this change now, when the economy is weak, since it would likely have a smaller impact on elite members--less grumbling.

I'd like to see AA follow CO's lead and, when an AAdvantage member earns lifetime elite status, extend that benefit to the spouse or significant other too.

It would be pretty impressive--and get me to start flying more on AA--if they offered lifetime EXP for, say, 5 or 10 million miles.
Old May 1, 2009, 4:56 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Moderator's note:

We can certainly speculate about possible pending changes at American if we choose to - and it does seem FT-AA has taken on a speculative bent in a number of its discussions - but let's keep on TOS by avoiding ad hominem and attacks on each other and on others.

This Forum is about American Airlines, AAdvantage, flying and miles, not about personalities, other websites, or even speculating about those.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Old May 1, 2009, 5:33 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by chj
I'm in 100% agreement with brp. Couldn't have said it better.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled pointless speculation.
Originally Posted by MGW2000
I agree 100% as well. While the "other" sit may get criticized, they tend to focus much less on speculation and tend to be right often.

Matt
Exactly my point. Just because the thread has no useful content at present doesn't mean that that will always be the case. Content will come when the OP of that thread decides to put it in. Until then, speculation about the purpose of a thread with minimal (if any) content, serves little purpose...here or there.

Cheers.
Old May 1, 2009, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by chj
To those who critique the "other place" and the somewhat sharp personality of its moderator, I would point out that when he has in fact revealed things ahead of time, they have turned out to be entirely, 100% accurate. Two developments I can think of which I learned about well before they were announced are the 757 international conversions and the 762 new F seats. If people here don't like the tone of the "other place" I entirely understand, but I for one consider it a more worthwhile read on account of the far higher "noise to signal" ratio.
But nothing has been revealed in the thread on the other place. It is content free and nothing but fluff, i.e. precisely the sort of post which the resident <redacted> over there would have closed and locked in a flash if someone else had started it, as being nothing but speculation. Meanwhile the resident <redacted> here did indeed lock my thread on "stuff".
Old May 1, 2009, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I hate these threads, there is almost never any foundation for any of the rumors tossed around.

In this case it is almost comical that people are predicting positive changes, i.e. one-way awards. Since when - in recent memory - have we seen any positive developments in frequent flyer programs?? By my count they have all been takebacks by the airlines.

Nope, I'll be happy just to wait for the next shoe to drop.
Old May 1, 2009, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by MGW2000

Matt

Exactly. I go there for information, I come here to waste time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.