Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Sheer Speculation: Rumored AAdvantage Changes Coming in May 2009?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheer Speculation: Rumored AAdvantage Changes Coming in May 2009?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2009, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DCAstudent
How is it dead? There's lots of good info there, usually well before AA (or FT) announces it.
I should have been specific. There is comparatively little activity on TB outside the AA forum, at least if I am viewing the activity correctly for views and replies. Perhaps "dead site" was not a good description, but the activity and information is pretty much limited to one airline and IMHO is more akin to some of the single airline forums that VS, SQ and CX seem to have.
Old May 1, 2009, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
In this case it is almost comical that people are predicting positive changes, i.e. one-way awards. Since when - in recent memory - have we seen any positive developments in frequent flyer programs?? By my count they have all been takebacks by the airlines
Well, how about AA's change from a few years ago from AA-only and individual single-partner/AA awards to All-partner awards, for the most part at the same award levels? That was a huge increase in flexibility.
Old May 1, 2009, 7:38 pm

Programs: AA EP; Bonvoy Platinum: Hilton Gold
Cool. I didnt know there was an "other" site, so this thread did some good after all.
Old May 1, 2009, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Since when - in recent memory - have we seen any positive developments in frequent flyer programs?? By my count they have all been takebacks by the airlines.
Sad but so true.
Old May 1, 2009, 8:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Changes are predicted for May, so we shouldn't have to wait long to learn of actual changes we will undoubtedly discuss extensively. Until then, I'd rather not speculate, myself. Though a different card color would probably look nice in my wallet, now that Hilton Diamond is black too.
Old May 1, 2009, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JDiver
Changes are predicted for May, so we shouldn't have to wait long to learn of actual changes we will undoubtedly discuss extensively. Until then, I'd rather not speculate, myself. Though a different card color would probably look nice in my wallet, now that Hilton Diamond is black too.
Was there something recently that the long awaited IB/BA/AA anti-trust filing is supposed to be ruled on by May?

That obviously could lead to changes.
Old May 1, 2009, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
I'd certainly love to see the ability to upgrade with miles online...
Old May 2, 2009, 5:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I should have been specific. There is comparatively little activity on TB outside the AA forum, at least if I am viewing the activity correctly for views and replies. Perhaps "dead site" was not a good description, but the activity and information is pretty much limited to one airline and IMHO is more akin to some of the single airline forums that VS, SQ and CX seem to have.
Some might make the case that quantity of activity (which there certainly is plently of 'round here) does not in fact equal quality of activity.

But yes, I agree the focus over there is indeed AA.

Regards
Old May 3, 2009, 9:21 am

Changes I would like to hear more about:

AA-BA-IB ATI issues and settlements (authorities should be much more willing to grant ATI considering LH's voracious activities, KL-AF issues, DL gobbling up NW, etc.)

How the ATI would affect earning transat miles AA-BA (fingers crossed - SFO-LHR awaits!)

Changes in awards (even booking trickier ones, and VIP/ other international upgrades online)

Changes expanding aa.com's usability and functions (speaking of)

MX joining oneworld (finally, as the current silence seems deafening!)

But I am not exactly on tenterhooks waiting for this stuff.

(And, yes, the thread title has been changed, for purposes of member ease in identifying the thread purpose and content, after consultation among all AA moderators.)
Old May 3, 2009, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Though a different card color would probably look nice in my wallet, now that Hilton Diamond is black too.
As is the Admiral's Club card.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:59 am
Suspended

How the ATI would affect earning transat miles AA-BA (fingers crossed - SFO-LHR awaits!)

BA is on the record that AA members will be able to earn/burn AA miles on TATL BA flights and vice versa. Also the two airlines will rationalize their TATL network so they dont have flights leaving the same city to LHR at the same time. What's not clear is how upgrades such as eVIPs and GUP2 will work.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:07 pm

Hmm. I think I recall mine is a dark Navy blue. (I don't carry it much - my identification and AAdvantage number reduce the plastic cards I must carry around by one.)

Since we're brazenly about speculating here, I wonder why they didn't go Silver - Gold - Platinum or Bronze - Gold - Platinum? Just "to be different?" (How about "rock - paper - scissors?" That would certainly differentiate AAdvantage. )

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
As is the Admiral's Club card.
Old May 3, 2009, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Changes I would like to hear more about:

AA-BA-IB ATI issues and settlements (authorities should be much more willing to grant ATI considering LH's voracious activities, KL-AF issues, DL gobbling up NW, etc.)

Changes in awards (even booking trickier ones, and VIP/ other international upgrades online)

Changes expanding aa.com's usability and functions (speaking of)

MX joining oneworld (finally, as the current silence seems deafening!)
Good list. As someone who'd love to fly non-stop to LHR from SFO on BA and get AA miles, I'm especially interested in the AA/BA items, but all the items are worth noting.
Old May 3, 2009, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA, UA, HH, *wood
no heat onboard

One enhancement that appears new is the lack of heat.

I did a couple of the LAXBOSLAX MR in April. Full flight, temperature on board was fine.

I'm on a couple of back to backs now in May and I'm FREEZING! Flights are still full. The only difference is the temperature on board.

AAARGH
Old May 3, 2009, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I agree that it makes sense. I could see AA making this change now, when the economy is weak, since it would likely have a smaller impact on elite members--less grumbling.
That would lead to more grumbling from me. The weak economy has meant drastically reduced business travel and more more low fare on-my-own-dime travel to try and maintain status. And even with my business travel, my company and our clients are demanding that we spend significantly less on travel even in those few instances when they'll pay for travel. Coupled with the preponderance of O and Q fares now on AA.com and I have a lower ratio of points to miles than ever in the past. I imagine that there are many more like me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.