Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Sheer Speculation: Rumored AAdvantage Changes Coming in May 2009?

Old May 1, 2009, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Since May is Anniversary month and the <redacted> "other" site has speculated that something is in the air, I thought we could play the "Guess the Change" game.

My entry is that it has something to do with finally adding one-way awards to match other programs.

I'm very much hoping that it does not affect the Million-Miler program, at least until I make one (and two) million miles.

Last edited by JDiver; May 1, 2009 at 4:48 pm Reason: we need to follow TOS here
Old May 1, 2009, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
My Guess

All FT members will earn negative AAdvantage miles for posting on FT, e.g. negative 1000 for regular posts and negative 2000 for OMNI.
Old May 1, 2009, 1:18 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
That linked thread has 8 posts of, literally, NOTHING. <redacted> Heaven forbid someone makes a comment that the thread is more useless than useful until there is something to actually report on.

<redacted>

But back on this highly speculative topic, if there is really one, I'm thinking there will be better OneWorld bookings online. Maybe even an award booking engine like QF has. This was something that was supposedly "coming soon" in recent history, but I can't find the press release or news item that discussed it.

One way, or mixed, award bookings would be nice too. If there are sAAver award coach seats available on one side of a trip, but only stAAndard ones on a return, then let me pay 37,500 points instead of dinging me for the full 50K. That way maybe I can even have a sAAver F segment one way and sAAver coach the other way. That is the *ONE* nice things about the USAirways program I like (even though I depleted the account).

Last edited by JDiver; May 1, 2009 at 4:49 pm Reason: we need to follow TOS here
Old May 1, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
I thought we could play the "Guess the Change" game.
Good idea. Speculation and conjecture are what we do best here on FT, so we might as well have some fun with it.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman
I'm very much hoping that it does not affect the Million-Miler program, at least until I make one (and two) million miles.
I, too, hope there won't be anything that affects the MM program adversely any time soon.

As others have mentioned, increased online award booking capability would be great, as would one-way awards.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; May 1, 2009 at 1:56 pm
Old May 1, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Rumoured impending changes to "stuff" were reported here on the AA forum a few days ago:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...274-stuff.html

Nothing wrong with another thread inviting pointless speculation though
Old May 1, 2009, 1:57 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I hope changing the color of the membership cards is on the agenda. I want a gold card instead of a black card for EXP. Anyone else up for a color change?

Tom in Cologne, Germany
Old May 1, 2009, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by tom911
Anyoone else up for a color change?
Only if we can pick a different color every year, if we so desire.

Originally Posted by britenbsas
Nothing wrong with another thread inviting pointless speculation though
Pointless speculation? Sure. But at least it's about miles and points. That seems like progress to me.

Last edited by oklAAhoma; May 1, 2009 at 2:07 pm
Old May 1, 2009, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
How about a Executive Uranium level for 200k miles/points? The card would come with a lead sleeve to store it in.
Old May 1, 2009, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by tom911
I hope changing the color of the membership cards is on the agenda. I want a gold card instead of a black card for EXP. Anyone else up for a color change?

Tom in Cologne, Germany

Maybe the black is to infer the highest of standards like the AE Black Card (which will probably never be in my wallet). But actually I like the black because it is very easy for me to spot in my wallet which is full of other loyalty/rewards type of plastic cards. Maybe like credit cards, you could get it personalized with like wildlife or your favorite hobby.

One thing is that towards the end of last year there were media reports and accompanying speculation on FT with regards to AA going more towards a la carte pricing, including giving only partial miles, or no miles, for deep discount fares. With DBEQM, I would think that for now this is dead but could still rise from its ugly grave at some future point.
Old May 1, 2009, 2:23 pm
chj

Programs: BA, UA, DL
To those who critique the "other place" and the somewhat sharp personality of its moderator, I would point out that when he has in fact revealed things ahead of time, they have turned out to be entirely, 100% accurate. Two developments I can think of which I learned about well before they were announced are the 757 international conversions and the 762 new F seats. If people here don't like the tone of the "other place" I entirely understand, but I for one consider it a more worthwhile read on account of the far higher "noise to signal" ratio.
Old May 1, 2009, 2:27 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
IF, and it's a very big IF, anything major is going to happen this month, there may be another part of the equation that's missing.

We all know AA is getting worried about cash, and the latest filings discuss its ability to meet Bank covenants. AA has also said it is talking with Citibank about pre-selling miles to raise cash, and several times in the past it has been suggested that AAdvantage is worth almost as much as the airline.

Drawing the obvious conclusion, maybe any possible changes shift some ownership to Citibank, or prepare the ground for that to happen in the future. What puzzles me if AAdvantage were to be totally independent of the airline is how AA measures and encourages customer loyalty through EXP, PLT etc. levels so if we see some seperation of the two functions, maybe some change to the qualification process, I'd put money on the eventual sale of AAdvantage.
Old May 1, 2009, 2:33 pm

last post in the linked to forum sums it up:

BTW, *thanks* for the site-traffic, suckers!
don't waste your time.
Old May 1, 2009, 2:34 pm
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by elitetraveler; May 1, 2009 at 6:55 pm
Old May 1, 2009, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; DL Gold; UA 2P
My Guesses

Judging by the excitement level of the OP on the other site, the changes must be substantive---something that changes the shape of the program in ways much more so than the addition of one-way awards.

1) Domestic upgrades will be cleared based on elite level and fare class. Although I like the fact that booking early nearly ensures an upgrade, it makes no sense that I sit in FC on a Q/N/S fare when someone who purchased a Y/B fare at 3x the price sits in a middle seat in the back.

2) EVIPs will require copays similar to mileage upgrades.

3) Two additional EVIPs will be earned for each additional 50K EQM/EQP over 100K.

What I hope it is not is a substantial change in qualifying terms...but maybe AA will take the lead in changing to a reward system more closely aligned with $$$ spent on tickets.
Old May 1, 2009, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by Bill_Luv2Fly
Judging by the excitement level of the OP on the other site, the changes must be substantive---something that changes the shape of the program in ways much more so than the addition of one-way awards.

1) Domestic upgrades will be cleared based on elite level and fare class. Although I like the fact that booking early nearly ensures an upgrade, it makes no sense that I sit in FC on a Q/N/S fare when someone who purchased a Y/B fare at 3x the price sits in a middle seat in the back.

2) EVIPs will require copays similar to mileage upgrades.

3) Two additional EVIPs will be earned for each additional 50K EQM/EQP over 100K.

What I hope it is not is a substantial change in qualifying terms...but maybe AA will take the lead in changing to a reward system more closely aligned with $$$ spent on tickets.
Clearing upgrades within elite status by fare code makes perfect sense from a business standpoint. One issue is that AA begins to clear EXP upgs at 100 hours and PLT at 72 hours and of course someone booking a last minute business trip at big $$s might still lose out on an upgrade possibility. So to make this work AA would need to reduce the window for clearing upgrades.

Personally since I buy my tixs weeks in advance, I would not like to see this change. But from a revenue reward prespective, I could certainly understand it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.