Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Sheer Speculation: Rumored AAdvantage Changes Coming in May 2009?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheer Speculation: Rumored AAdvantage Changes Coming in May 2009?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2009, 11:43 am

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
Originally Posted by PandT
I can only hope that once there are traces of HARD evidence that someone will be nice enough to start a thread announcing the actual changes! (Re-reading that sentence I had to chuckle - this is FT - did I really doubt a new thread would be started??!)

See, that's the thing, you get hard evidence and that takes all the fun out of it!
Old May 7, 2009, 11:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
Originally Posted by trinity_in_texas
See, that's the thing, you get hard evidence and that takes all the fun out of it!
Come on Trinity, spill some beans, we know you know what's going on and we demand hints!
Old May 7, 2009, 12:01 pm

Programs: My views are strictly my own and do not reflect the views of any company.
Originally Posted by sukn
Come on Trinity, spill some beans, we know you know what's going on and we demand hints!
I know nothing! I just enjoy reading what you guys think! And that's my final comment!

Old May 7, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: BAEC redundant Bronze, AAdvantage Lifetime PLT, CO, WN, B6
I know nothing! I just enjoy reading what you guys think! And that's my final comment!

Don't you find the most anticipated hot date usually turns out to be the most underwhelming?

On that basis I speculate that the real truth is the 4 hour training is to learn the new AA Corporate song with which we will henceforth be serenaded while standing in one general purpose bag drop line (no more Elites!) for 2+ hours because of "enhancements" to the process.

I'll further speculate the first line of the new song will be:

"Gerard is our Hero"

but I can't quite figure a second line that goes with that....
Old May 7, 2009, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
I love reading all this speculation. It's interseting to see where everybodies concerns lie.
Well, I'm an EXP and the only thing I want to keep is my free domestic upgrades and VIPs. They can play with the levels all the want, but I'll do at least 100K each year for that.
Old May 7, 2009, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by bernardd
Don't you find the most anticipated hot date usually turns out to be the most underwhelming?

On that basis I speculate that the real truth is the 4 hour training is to learn the new AA Corporate song with which we will henceforth be serenaded while standing in one general purpose bag drop line (no more Elites!) for 2+ hours because of "enhancements" to the process.

I'll further speculate the first line of the new song will be:

"Gerard is our Hero"

but I can't quite figure a second line that goes with that....
Now how did you find out! CURSES!! CURRRSSSES!
Old May 7, 2009, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Running to catch a flight and no time to catch up on this whole thread, but just spoke to an agent who told me that starting Friday, award tickets (at least partner awards) would be "sold" as one-ways. Same amount of miles for the round trip, but you'd be able/have to book each way, one at a time.

Not sure if this is news or not, but wanted to share just in case. Have a good one all!
Old May 7, 2009, 1:11 pm

Now how did you find out! CURSES!! CURRRSSSES!

Sometimes it helps to stop looking head on at a question and try to look at it a little from the side.

You know it, it must be very difficult to know what to get Dear Gerard for Chistmas. I mean, what on earth can you get for the man who already has almost 900 corporate jets? Glad it's not my problem!

Last edited by bernardd; May 7, 2009 at 1:26 pm
Old May 7, 2009, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by tylerdurden4543
Running to catch a flight and no time to catch up on this whole thread, but just spoke to an agent who told me that starting Friday, award tickets (at least partner awards) would be "sold" as one-ways. Same amount of miles for the round trip, but you'd be able/have to book each way, one at a time.

Not sure if this is news or not, but wanted to share just in case. Have a good one all!
Boy, if that's all my hot date turned out to be, I'll be looking for an excuse to pay the bill and leave, muttering as non-commitally as possible "we must do this again some time"
Old May 7, 2009, 1:20 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal

Can't you book one-ways now for full price? So, you are saying we can get one-ways half price?

Last edited by skunker; May 7, 2009 at 1:25 pm
Old May 7, 2009, 1:26 pm

Wow. That's actually a very very POSITIVE (if true) change imho.
Old May 7, 2009, 1:32 pm
nsr

deleted

Last edited by nsr; May 7, 2009 at 2:45 pm
Old May 7, 2009, 1:34 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bernardd
Boy, if that's all my hot date turned out to be, I'll be looking for an excuse to pay the bill and leave, muttering as non-commitally as possible "we must do this again some time"
Agreed. While this might benefit a few people, it's generally a non-issue as far as I can see. I hope this isn't a major component of the "stuff" because this would be very anti-climactic. Unless the "stuff" is going to be bad. Then I hope that they leave it at this

Cheers.
Old May 7, 2009, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Maybe it's just b/c I'm a contrarian, but I view this as quite a significant improvement.

Other than at peak travel periods (Fridays, Sundays, holidays), there's usually a decent amount of last-minute award availability. To be able to book a one-way award ticket at the last second, and combine it with a revenue return a few days later, is a nice option -- especially if you don't have to pay the rush ticketing fee. (I'm thinking deaths/other emergencies, or last-minute biz travel for small business people)
Old May 7, 2009, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by CO FF
Maybe it's just b/c I'm a contrarian, but I view this as quite a significant improvement.

Other than at peak travel periods (Fridays, Sundays, holidays), there's usually a decent amount of last-minute award availability. To be able to book a one-way award ticket at the last second, and combine it with a revenue return a few days later, is a nice option -- especially if you don't have to pay the rush ticketing fee. (I'm thinking deaths/other emergencies, or last-minute biz travel for small business people)

I'm not sure about "contrarian" but tylerdurden4543 mentioned One Way partner awards, yet you're talking optimistically about not having to pay last minute ticket fees. I don't know how you made the connection but avoiding ticketing fees would definitely be a good thing though actually quite "contrary" to AA's general direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.