Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE:,Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2003, 9:28 pm

Hmm, I had a delay a couple of months ago with an American Eagle jet out of ORD. Is it worth complaining to AA about it, or is Eagle a seperate entity?
Old Jun 15, 2003, 11:44 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Go to aa.com and click "customer service". Then go to "contact aa".
Old Jun 17, 2003, 4:27 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jace:
Looks like AA has a lot of complaints from you in your AA record... hope you never need a favor.</font>
Looks like AA screws-up a lot. They should be happy you keep flying with them.
Old Jun 18, 2003, 12:57 am

remember, for every one person that says they will not fly AA, Delta has someone who says they won't fly them anymore, and so does United, Continental, etc. It's all a big wheel going round and round....
Old Jul 8, 2003, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Here are a couple more:

[b]Date Feb 2003
AAdvantage status None
Fare class Cheap Y fare, confirmed upgrade to J with miles.
What happened Original routing was BOS-JFK-NRT-HKG. JFK-NRT plane had mechanical delay, made unscheduled stop in ORD. Made Mrs. Pickles miss her NRT-HKG leg, had to stay over in NRT hotel.
Compensation AA provided hotel and breakfast voucher in NRT, plus transportation to/from airport hotel. 15,000 AA miles in account a few days later.
Comments No complaints lodged by us, miles and apology letter sent even before we had begun drafting letter to AA. Well done.

[b]Date June 2003
AAdvantage status Plat
Fare class Cheap Y fare, not upgradeable
What happened BOS-DFW-NRT routing. Arrive at airport in the morning, airport a madhouse. Miss my BOS-DFW flight.
Compensation Rerouted via ORD, ORD-NRT leg in business class.
Comments Read the whole story here. Good recovery after a joint bad fumble.

[This message has been edited by Pickles (edited 07-08-2003).]
Old Jul 8, 2003, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Date: June 2003
AAdvantage Status: PLT
Fare class: C (biz, upgraded)
What happened: Flight 984 BGI-MIA was 5.5 hours late because of "crew eligibility". For those who may not know, flight attendants and pilots must be off duty for a certain number of hours before they return to work. Because AA for some reason did not have an additional crew at BGI, the crew that had flown down the night before from MIA had to fly back, but couldn't do so until the correct number of hours had elapsed. To be completely honest, I was happy as a clam to have a few more hours to swim in the beautiful Caribbean Sea!
Compensation: A few weeks after the flight, I got an unsolicited e-mail from the "We cAAre" team offering me 9,000 customer service bonus miles as compensation. Again, I did not complain or request compensation because frankly it was very little inconvenience at all (it was on a Sunday).
Old Jul 8, 2003, 9:09 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by gemini573:
Date 5th of June 2003

AAdvantage Status Platinum

Fare class Y

What happened Flight 129 from SJC to NRT cancelled due to the First Class p/a sysytem not in operation.

Compensation 20,000 AAdvantage miles!

Comments Called Customer Relations and explained what happened....waited 3 hours at the gate without any announcements. Chatted with one of the flight attendents an hour and a half into this whole mess. She said that a part had to be flown from LAX. Hearing that, I knew this crew was going to be illegal after 3 hours. Alternative arrangements could of been made in the meantime from SFO. Instead, waited on the plane. They placed us overnight at a hotel in Sunnyvale. Flight 9211 was to depart at 9 am on Friday morning. This was a dedicated flight. Instead departed at 10 because plane wasn't fueled. I was actually quite surprised at receiving 20,000 miles. That's seems like an awful lot. I was asking for 10,000, but I will take 20,000!
</font>
In addition to the 20,000 miles, I received a letter from AA today and received a $300.00 voucher. Yay!
Old Jul 8, 2003, 11:25 pm

CharlesMD, I have to wonder.....if you are a physician, do you give a discount or money back if patients have to wait to see you when they have a scheduled appointment? How about when you don’t pass along the lab or xray results in a timely manner? Prescribe a medication that doesn’t work? Forget or not have time to call a patient back?

Betcha don’t.
Old Jul 9, 2003, 8:26 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BA GLD, FT < 30 y
-----------------------------------------

Last edited by CharlesMD; May 21, 2004 at 5:24 am
Old Oct 8, 2003, 8:47 am

Programs: AA/UA/BA
Date May 30th, 2003
AAdvantage Status EXP
Fare class N class, upgraded to Business with VIP03
What happened 1 hour delay from LAX to DFW, due late inbound aircraft. Arrived DFW, ran from gate A16 to A34, arrived 17 minutes before departure of DFW-LGW flight. Found that seats had already been given away, early. No more seats available.
Compensation$80 in meal vouchers. Hotel suite for the night. Upgrade to First Class on following day's flight. 15,000 miles compensation (unsolicited) a week later.
Comments The 15k miles was nice, especially because I'd already been upg'd to F (not A, full fare, mileage earning F). Still, AA made me 24 hours late for business in Stockholm, so it was justified, IMHO.

Date October 6th, 2003
AAdvantage Status EXP
Fare class V class, upgraded to Business with VIP03
What happened Absolutely atrocious service flying AA136, LAX-LHR. No hot towels, no menus, no desserts, incorrect entree, pitiful breakfast service, IFE switched off halfway through flight. Specific F/A treating passengers with contempt.
Compensation AA offered an apology. I went back and told them it wasn't good enough. They then gave us 15k miles each.
CommentsI've never, ever received 'service' as bad as this, on any airline. Passengers around me were equally appalled.

[Edited to update compensation]

[This message has been edited by 777Brit (edited Feb 11, 2004).]
Old Oct 8, 2003, 9:20 am

Date: 8-Sep-2003
AAdvantage Status: PLT
Fare Class: N upg to F using stickers
What happened: AA39 SFO-HNL turned back about 1 hour into the flight and returned to SFO due to a mechanical. Changed planes and got an F seat on a 3 class 762.
Compensation: 6k miles

Old Oct 8, 2003, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC, AA, DL, UA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CharlesMD:
And about giving money back? The medical profession actually does give gompensation, in fact, many, many times more than the airlines in cold hard cash-- billions each year in malpractice settlements.</font>
It's so nice that AA actually offers this without us having to sue them.
Old Oct 8, 2003, 7:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CharlesMD:

And about giving money back? The medical profession actually does give gompensation, in fact, many, many times more than the airlines in cold hard cash-- billions each year in malpractice settlements.

[This message has been edited by CharlesMD (edited 07-09-2003).]
</font>

Now is this really giving money back or just paying for one's mistakes?
Old Oct 8, 2003, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA, UA, B6, WN
Date: Dec. 29, 2002
AAdvantage status: None
Fare class: Discounted Y

What happened: Route was RSW-MIA-JFK, RSW-MIA was Eagle service in an ATR, MIA-JFK regular AA. Both flights were the last of the day on those routes. Had 1 hour 10 mins. bet. sched. arrival in MIA and sched. departure of the JFK flight. However, the Eagle flight from RSW was delayed over an hour because two of the crew got stuck in Customs at MIA (plane had made a Bahamas-MIA run). Was told on the Eagle flight that I would miss my connection and to go to the desk upon landing. Go to the desk, final NYC flight that night to LGA was full, so they re-booked me on the 7:15am MIA-JFK the next day.

Compensation: They gave me $15 dinner and $5 breakfast vouchers, and hotel voucher for the lovely (not really) MIA Comfort Inn.

Comments: Had no toiletries or change of underwear on me, it was all in my checked luggage, had to buy toothpaste and toothbrush. Tried to retrieve luggage, but it turns out *my luggage* made the original JFK flight that night. &lt;g&gt; Turns out I probably could have made it as well, which peeved me off a little... Maybe I should have tried for some miles for that, but I didn't. At least they gave me a bed!

[This message has been edited by MelP (edited 10-08-2003).]
Old Oct 9, 2003, 1:59 pm

Hi everyone, long time lurker, first time poster. Just throwing this out there to illustrate the mixed bag of Customer Service I have experienced from AA.

Date: January 3, 2002
AAdvantage status: None
Fare class: Incredibly Cheap discount economy.
What happened: Flight from MCO to LAX delayed and overbooked. My family (wife and daughter and myself) were bumped.
Compensation: Given $300 pp vouchers (which was great because I only paid $244 pp for the tickets) and put up in some lovely non-descript hotel near the airport.
Problem:While they were very generous with the vouchers the gate attendant couldn't care less when I explained that my wife's contact lense solution and daughter's pull-ups (thankfully she's out of those now, but I digress) were in our luggage and I had a total of $5 in my wallet (not expecting to be going anywhere but home). I asked them either not to bump us or provide us with $20 to pay for the necessary items (never mind our toothbrushes - which we were also denied). The GA made us wait another hour and half in the terminal until he could get the passengers who were actually making the flight out the door. Then he told us no, he couldn't do that. It took an hour of arguing with him and waiting for a supervisor before I got them to agree to buy the contact solution and the pull-ups.

While they were undoubtedly generous with the compensation for being bumped, the GA's poor attitude made the experience worse for me then if they had only compensated us $200 pp and given me $25 without having to wait the additional 2 1/2 hours at the airport.

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the situation. It's really sad that a surly and stressed employee can ruin an otherwise positive Customer Service experience.

[This message has been edited by kef0913 (edited 10-09-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.