Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Alcoholic drinks in AC

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Complimentary Alcoholic drinks in AC

Firstly on the subject of a prior search. Is there a standard phrase we double digit posters can use to deflect the arrows of the multi-thousand posters who(unofficially?) police this forum?

I am Plat and use the AC only on international flights mainly in Bos, ORD & Mia. I am not a paid member of the AC and fly both coach and FC.

My question is about complimentary drink chits in the AC. Most of the time I am not given a chit. Sometimes one for myself and spouse(who varies between Gld or Plat over the last few years) On occasion two chits each, every time my name and Flt No are written on the chit.

Is there a declared policy entitlement? or discretionary?

For those interested in such matters I searched using AC drinks complimentary this produced 87 threads. Adding alcoholic to the search string didnt help much; so I am risking the wrath of the forums more pedantic contributors.

If perchance this question was answered in 2003, forgive me please.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT MM
Jeez ... forget about the AC, you might want to pop a few before you post to get all that angst out of you .

My experience has been that when you ask nicely (though frankly, I've never even tried the alternative), I have gotten up to 4 (2 at first, and then 2 more).

Not sure if there is an official policy or such.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
"Official" policy is that those accessing the AC on status are entitled to at least 2 chits per person. You shouldn't have to ask (but may have to), but they should give them to you. Now, on occassion, they might give you more if you ask. But definitely at least 2.

And yes FWIW, it's been asked a few times already. But I'm in a good mood today
Old Aug 24, 2006, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*,
90% of the time I'm given only one. If I have enough time, and I usually do, I ask for another and have always been given the second.

A couple of months ago my wife and I were in the ORD AC and were told the policy is one but we were each given the second anyway. She was clearly not happy about giving us each two.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 3:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP, PC PLT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
"Official" policy is that those accessing the AC on status are entitled to at least 2 chits per person. You shouldn't have to ask (but may have to), but they should give them to you. Now, on occassion, they might give you more if you ask. But definitely at least 2.

And yes FWIW, it's been asked a few times already. But I'm in a good mood today
Is this an international only policy?

I just paid my membership today, I am offically an AC member...
Old Aug 24, 2006, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Firstly on the subject of a prior search. Is there a standard phrase we double digit posters can use to deflect the arrows of the multi-thousand posters who(unofficially?) police this forum?
ST*U?

Seriously though, seems lately this forum has gotten much more friendly.(I wonder why?) I wouldn't give it much thought, most people here are kind enough to answer questions no matter how many times they may have been asked. You may get some static, shrug it off, don't take it personally.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:08 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
AA PLT on international itinerary gets admission to lounge + 2 drink chits. This is AA policy.

AA PLT on international itinerary gets to bring in 1 guest. This is AA policy.

I am not sure that the guest, if non-status or Gold, is entitled to any drink chits. Sometimes my guest has received 2 like me, other times, the AAgent has handed us each one.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:18 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by IceTrojan
"Official" policy is that those accessing the AC on status are entitled to at least 2 chits per person.
Where is this "'Official' policy" documented? My experience is that the actual practice varies by location. When flying International P/J, I've never not gotten at least as many as I needed, albeit one or two at a time.

Last edited by dayone; Aug 24, 2006 at 5:54 pm Reason: Add "International" caveat
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:27 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by dayone
Where is this "'Official' policy" documented? My experience is that the actual practice varies by location. I've never not gotten at least as many as I needed, albeit one or two at a time.
im confused
i have EXP and AC membership but i only seem to get drink chits at jfk AA AC when traveling internationally in business or first--are they also offered in other instances---eg traveling internationally in coach and/or traveling domestically?

thanks
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:40 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Originally Posted by sohony
im confused
i have EXP and AC membership but i only seem to get drink chits at jfk AA AC when traveling internationally in business or first--are they also offered in other instances---eg traveling internationally in coach and/or traveling domestically?

thanks
EXP and AC membership by itself will result in no drink chits. You need to be on an international itinerary. If you are EXP and traveling in coach international .. you MAY get a chit or may not.

You have to be aware of the term 'international' vs 'domestic' as it relates to chits.

You are departing Business/First on International flight from the city with the AC (like ex-ORD or ex-JFK..). You should get one or two chits (one normally tho can ask for more).

You have arrived from an International First/Business flight into a city with an AC (like LHR-ORD or SNN-BOS) and then are continuing on a domestic flight yet that day (eg LHR-ORD-MSP or SNN-BOS-DFW). In the AC city (ORD or BOS in this example) since you are INBOUND from an International (P/J) itinerary and continuing on a domestic itinerary (any class) .. you should get admission to the AC and one/two drink chits.

Furthering that even more.. SNN-BOS-DFW .. you should get access(and chits) in BOS and DFW .. tho if you are ending in DFW the need to use an AC (shower) is not likely .. but technically available.

Departing on an International itinerary in J/P or arriving on an International itinerary (and stopping or continuing) in J/P should allow you access and chit(s).

Lets add one more little 'twist' to this discussion that I saw happen in LAX recently. A pax was given a drink chit. They did not use it. They left it in the bathroom on the counter. I think this is kinda a kewl idea (provided no name and the date matches) for people who get two chits and only have one drink .. to share the wealth!
Old Aug 24, 2006, 5:53 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by JGR01
Lets add one more little 'twist' to this discussion that I saw happen in LAX recently. A pax was given a drink chit. They did not use it. They left it in the bathroom on the counter. I think this is kinda a kewl idea (provided no name and the date matches) for people who get two chits and only have one drink .. to share the wealth!
I have done this for awhile. I always try to get one more chit than I "need." I leave it somewhere visible but not too conspicuous (so one of the servers doesn't snag it) so that someone after me will benefit. My way of paying it forward. I must admit that Ive never thought to leave it in the bathroom.

Last edited by dayone; Aug 24, 2006 at 7:30 pm
Old Aug 24, 2006, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum
EXP and AC membership by itself will result in no drink chits. You need to be on an international itinerary. If you are EXP and traveling in coach international .. you MAY get a chit or may not.

You have to be aware of the term 'international' vs 'domestic' as it relates to chits.

You are departing Business/First on International flight from the city with the AC (like ex-ORD or ex-JFK..). You should get one or two chits (one normally tho can ask for more).

You have arrived from an International First/Business flight into a city with an AC (like LHR-ORD or SNN-BOS) and then are continuing on a domestic flight yet that day (eg LHR-ORD-MSP or SNN-BOS-DFW). In the AC city (ORD or BOS in this example) since you are INBOUND from an International (P/J) itinerary and continuing on a domestic itinerary (any class) .. you should get admission to the AC and one/two drink chits.

Furthering that even more.. SNN-BOS-DFW .. you should get access(and chits) in BOS and DFW .. tho if you are ending in DFW the need to use an AC (shower) is not likely .. but technically available.

Departing on an International itinerary in J/P or arriving on an International itinerary (and stopping or continuing) in J/P should allow you access and chit(s).

thanks a lot for the generous response and the detail

and for the clarity (except for the traveling internationally on coach as EXP part--come to think of it one particular AAngel at jfk does give me chits in those circs -- i always thought that was just because she's been there ever since i first joined the club 13 or 14 years ago and is just naturally nice to people she knows -- but praps it's because she's actually been there long enough to know the rules?)

ps i agree--your random acts of kindness are kewl
Old Aug 24, 2006, 8:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg

Honestly though, I'm getting bored talking about this forum and all the BS politics. Let's talk about AA.

Sorry, who's AA?
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP-1.6MM, Hilton Diamond, ManU & Chicago Bears #1 Fan

If one is an EXP and either going to or coming from London through ORD (per your example), then regardless of class of service, one is entitled to the Flagship Lounge where it's an open bar, no chits required.
Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA-EXP 2MM
Originally Posted by Ltgfrk
90% of the time I'm given only one. If I have enough time, and I usually do, I ask for another and have always been given the second.

A couple of months ago my wife and I were in the ORD AC and were told the policy is one but we were each given the second anyway. She was clearly not happy about giving us each two.
I agree that it depends on the location. Two weeks ago I departed SJC on the flight to NRT (one of the last) and I was given only 1. I was flying in J, so I did not worry about it. At other AC when flying International I have been given either 1 or 2.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.