Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: oneworld / Explorer Awards Using AA Miles info

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2010, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA Plat, LAN Comodoro, LH SEN, Flying Blue Plat
Originally Posted by Happy
OneWorld award connection allowed is 4 hours domestic 6 hours international and is subject to the NEXT schedule flight regardless availability.

Unless all your connections are the FIRST schedule flight you can connect to, they will count as stopovers because they are longer than 6 hours.

I believe your HKG-SIN connection would not pass the restriction as there are many flights between HKG-SIN, makes it very doubtful to me that you can have a connection at 21:30hrs long even you are coming from PVG. The first schedule flight should be much earlier than that even if you arrive from PVG to HKG at midnight.

Overland counts in segment, not in distance.

However HKG being the pickup of the Open Jaw would make it a stopover if I understand it correctly.

I would like to know if an AA OU voucher can be used to cover the taxes. Anybody has tried that?
Thanks!!

For the '6 hours/next available flight' point, the rule says:
"If there are no scheduled flights within this timeframe, regardless of availability, you must take the next scheduled flight but may not exceed 24 hours. If the connection exceeds 24 hours, it will be considered a stopover." However, only 2-3 flights a week between HKG-SIN have F class (and not all HKG-PVG shuttles have F neither).

I am confused with what they mean by their 'regardless of availability' point grammatically:

Does it mean
1. "if there is a scheduled flight in the next 6 hours but there is no available inventory / inventory for my choice of cabin, I must take the next (within 24 hours) flight. If this next (>6 hours but < 24 hours) flight is unavailable (either no inventory or if I do not wish to be voluntarily downgraded), it has to be a stopover and the award cannot be allowed as a connection"

i.e. "regardless of availability" refers to the flight that departs >6 hours but <24 hours?

Or

2. "if there is a scheduled flight in the next 6 hours but there is no available inventory / inventory for my choice of cabin, I have to make a stopover and the award cannot be allowed as a connection (assuming I do not wish to be downgraded for the case of no inventory for my choice of cabin)."

i.e. "regardless of availability" refers to the flight that departs <6 hours?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Regardless of availability means regardless of there is no seat available for your class of service, or there is no award seat at all for any class, it is still that first scheduled flight departure time to determine your connection time.

When there is no F service, it would simply be a voluntary downgrade if you still want to make it as a connection. If there is no availability for ANY class, you are forced to make this a stopover.

In other words, No.2 is the correct interpretation of the connection / stopover restriction.

Originally Posted by rownada
Thanks!!

For the '6 hours/next available flight' point, the rule says:
"If there are no scheduled flights within this timeframe, regardless of availability, you must take the next scheduled flight but may not exceed 24 hours. If the connection exceeds 24 hours, it will be considered a stopover." However, only 2-3 flights a week between HKG-SIN have F class (and not all HKG-PVG shuttles have F neither).

I am confused with what they mean by their 'regardless of availability' point grammatically:

Does it mean
1. "if there is a scheduled flight in the next 6 hours but there is no available inventory / inventory for my choice of cabin, I must take the next (within 24 hours) flight. If this next (>6 hours but < 24 hours) flight is unavailable (either no inventory or if I do not wish to be voluntarily downgraded), it has to be a stopover and the award cannot be allowed as a connection"

i.e. "regardless of availability" refers to the flight that departs >6 hours but <24 hours?

Or

2. "if there is a scheduled flight in the next 6 hours but there is no available inventory / inventory for my choice of cabin, I have to make a stopover and the award cannot be allowed as a connection (assuming I do not wish to be downgraded for the case of no inventory for my choice of cabin)."

i.e. "regardless of availability" refers to the flight that departs <6 hours?
Old Feb 15, 2010, 8:23 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
Originally Posted by rownada
Would I be able to use a AA travel voucher (<USD100) to cover the taxes?
Originally Posted by Happy
...I would like to know if an AA OU voucher can be used to cover the taxes. Anybody has tried that?
Based on the voucher faq thread: I would believe not. But you can always ask. @:-)
What can I use the vouchers on?
              There are special considerations if you are located in the following countries:
                    Can I use the vouchers for ANYTHING else?
                    No.
                    Really?
                    Yes, really.
                    Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:16 am
                    Suspended

I have booked a 180F OW trip that includes a First Class flight on JAL. The AA e-ticket confirmation notes the JAL flight books into Z and says this is Coach.

The JAL record locator says the flight is booked in First; AA agent also says it is booked in First (and was incredulous that the e-ticket confirmation would say otherwise).

So, is it still the case, as it appears, that AA Awards are still generally showing the wrong codes for JAL flights and that this isn't just something specific to my reservation?
                    Old Feb 16, 2010, 1:03 pm

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
                    Originally Posted by tranmerechris
                    I have booked a 180F OW trip that includes a First Class flight on JAL. The AA e-ticket confirmation notes the JAL flight books into Z and says this is Coach.

The JAL record locator says the flight is booked in First; AA agent also says it is booked in First (and was incredulous that the e-ticket confirmation would say otherwise).

So, is it still the case, as it appears, that AA Awards are still generally showing the wrong codes for JAL flights and that this isn't just something specific to my reservation?
                    Z is first in JAL and this appears to be an AA IT issue. Perhaps send feedback to aa.com?
                    Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,
                    DAY-CAI Routing Ooptions using OneWorld Award

I am interested in using AA miles for an award trip from DAY-CAI. I was wondering what routing options might be suggested, if any, that might save on miles? Thanks
                    Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:18 pm

How to calculate miles for AA oneworld award ticket?

I am hoping to use 150k miles for a business class trip that lets me fly 25,000 miles. But how do I calculate distances between all my city pairs?
                    Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA, WN, Hyatt, Club Carlson, HHonors, MRewards, CET, M Life
                    http://www.innovata-llc.com/onw/default.asp?show=MAP

The second sticky thread in the Aadvantage forum is helpful too.
                    Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:31 pm

Programs: Support the Tyrants Travel Club
                    Originally Posted by swdke
                    I am interested in using AA miles for an award trip from DAY-CAI. I was wondering what routing options might be suggested, if any, that might save on miles? Thanks
                    well, your options are to go through MAD, LHR, or AMM (for OW; if you're just looking to get to CAI, you can also consider GF via BAH). The shortest routing on OW would be

DAY-ORD-LHR-CAI and back, ~12,300 miles rt

But you might need to check the other routings if it's not available. I think your question is not really about oneworld awards, though (unless you plan to stop over along your journey)... you should check the thread on "AA All-Partner Awards"
                    Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:33 pm
                    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
                    How about DAY-ORD-LHR (or MAD or AMM)-CAI? The roundtrip should come to under 14,000 flown miles.

Edited to add: Mr. Bean beat me to it.

Note that a oneworld award on this routing might be cheaper than an all-partner award, depending on the class of service flown.
                    Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: AAdvantage 1MM+ GOLD, SkyMiles
                    Here's an option (assuming roundtrip, that is) that I looked up using this tool in case you weren't aware of it

DAY-ORD-AMM-CAI-MAD-ORD-DAY

DAY-ORD and ORD-DAY on AA
                    ORD-AMM-CAI will be on Royal Jordanian
                    CAI-MAD-ORD will be on Iberia

Satisfies the two non-AA OW carrier requirement. You can, of course, switch around to the following depending on availability:

DAY-ORD-MAD-CAI-AMM-ORD-DAY

Total miles works out to a few hundred under 14,000 so, you can go for one of the "Distance Zone 5" awards.
                    Old Feb 18, 2010, 3:39 pm
                    Moderator, OneWorld

Programs: RAA RIP; AA ExEXP
                    http://www.gcmap.com/

Pretty close.
                    Old Feb 18, 2010, 4:50 pm
                    Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
                    AA rules apply, so moving over to the AAdvantage forum.

Kiwi Flyer
                    OW moderator
                    Old Feb 18, 2010, 5:28 pm
                    FlyerTalk Evangelist

According to the wiki at http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...neworld_Awards, "Trip miles are the sum of AAdvantage (not IATA) mileage of all segments, excluding surface segments". While those sites approximate the mileage used by AAdvantage, if you're very close to the cutoff you will want to run itinerary scenarios through AA or someone who has Sabre access.
                    Old Feb 19, 2010, 2:18 am
                    FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
                    Originally Posted by hillrider
                    According to the wiki at http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index...neworld_Awards, "Trip miles are the sum of AAdvantage (not IATA) mileage of all segments, excluding surface segments". While those sites approximate the mileage used by AAdvantage, if you're very close to the cutoff you will want to run itinerary scenarios through AA or someone who has Sabre access.
                    So, it seems they used to count destination to destination and now they count the mileage of each individual segment.
                    There is a lot of info here
                    http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-awards.html

For some reason, I thought you had to fly AA plus 2 other carrer, now I see the requirement is just 2 carriers other than AA.
                    An award itinerary may, but is not required to, include American Airlines (AA), American Eagle (including Executive Air), and American Connection (including Trans States Airlines (9N) and Chautauqua Airlines).

I also find the mileage requirements interesting. When using AA and partner awards, there is a big difference between Economy and Business, and a smaller difference between Business and First. With OW awards, the difference between Econ and BC is smaller and is larger between BC and FC
                    For example:

Total Countable Trip Miles = 20,001 - 25,000
                    Economy: costs 120,000 AA miles
                    Business: costs 150,000 AA miles
                    First: costs 230,000 AA miles

Last edited by mvoight; Feb 19, 2010 at 2:38 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.