Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rumor : new upgrade co-payment effective 01dec04

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:11 pm

VIP's not affected

Originally Posted by MikeFly
The desk said yes. The USD 250 is one way required for all fares except Y&B did not ask about discounted J. All flights starting Dec.1 that have NOT been waitlisted by that time will be affected.

VIP upgrades are not affected.

I have already sent out three letters to AAdvantage, Daniel P. Garton and Gail Green. Maybe Arpey is next.

BTW I can't remember the last I used miles to upgrade for me it is is the principle of the thing. Gain market share by differentation not being a me too with an inferior product.

This one I hope they change and soon.
Pleasure chatting in HKG mikefly.. ( AA didnt take my VIP in NRT BTW )
I'll second the findings on VIPs. They arent affected at all. For now.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG PLT, MR SLVR, HH GLD, etc.
Originally Posted by tinnub
Apparrently AA doesn't know why I fly
LOL - priceless!
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:27 pm

Wow! BA is best for upgrades?

Before the BA changes of last year BA for a very brief period offered the best program out there for North American members looking to upgrade. Ignoring the BA does not do that c**p from the BA board, it appears BA may be back to the top for the sub-100K flyer.

Especially one that only flies to Europe or has Lifetime plat for domestic AA flights.

AA now wants: cheapest fare + $500 + 50K miles = biz class (usually must waitlist)

BA wants: cheapest fare + $300-400 WT+ upgrade charge + 25K miles = flat bed biz class with much wider availabilty.

I cannot figure why a mileage upgrader would ever choose AA over BA now.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
The only way this makes sense to me is if AA is going to do one of four things:

1) establish a consistent market for transatlantic I-class fares in the $1800-$2400 range (and similar fares for transpacific etc), and the I fares use the same bucket as the C upgrades. But even then, why wouldn't I fly CX transpac or BA via YYZ/YVR/MEX/MBJ transatlantic?
2) establish corporate fares that confirm a B->J upgrade on international 767 flights out of C inventory;
3) Cut down the size of the 767 J cabin to add more Y seats.
4) Add more LRTC 757 capacity on leisure routes and give elite/Y/B first crack at the brown F seats for coach travel

Now, the 757 BOS-MAN route looks like absolute gold for elite passengers - book it far enough in advance to get 2A/2B for the coach price, and be done with it. If I can get halfway decent connections out of MAN on BA, that might become my route of choice.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA 2MM PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by inlanikai
American will always do what's best for American.
Not unreasonable. But consumers will do what's best for themselves as well, including switching to airlines with better flights, fewer connections, etc. when appropriate.

The value of an AAdvantage mile has gone down, and I'm personally less inclined to jump through hoops to get one.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by RichLond
I cannot figure why a mileage upgrader would ever choose AA over BA now.
Not being able to use my miles on the ORD-LHR nonstop would probably do it. Instead, I'm looking at ORD-YYZ-LHR or ORD-YUL-LHR on two tickets. That's not so bad if I'm flying to LHR, but annoying as heck if I'm flying to VIE, BCN, etc. for the weekend.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by sgm
Of course the effect of this change will be for Y to be full of elites with J pretty empty = more operational upgrades. Moreover, more people will use miles for tickets.
True.....but you forgot the aforementioned op-up expedite fee.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:52 pm

Programs: , AA Plat 2MM, FB Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerTim
Hmm:

DL: highest Coach fares only
NW: highest Coach fares only
CO: highest Coach fares sans surcharge, lowest fares with surcharge
AC: highest Coach fares only
US: nobody cares about their UG policies anymore

So yeah, among the North American 2-cabin players, AA was the lone holdout.
KLM is the only remaining airline that allows mileage upgrades from any fare and no $$$ surcharge. But you need a non-US mailing address, otherwise KLM will ask you to join the NW program instead.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 2:57 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
So, let me get this straight, I pay this surcharge only if my upgrade goes through or does AA get to keep my money if my upgrade does not clear -- like with Continental?

Also, can someone post the different fare classes and what they mean. I am looking at booking a london trip for MLK's bd weekend and the S fares are pricing out higher than the N fares. I always thought S was much more discounted that N.

lala
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:01 pm

Programs: NorthSails® | Starboard | ION
Originally Posted by venk
If this happens, I predict a 10+ page thread in the near future.
...almost there...
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by venk
If this happens, I predict a 10+ page thread in the near future.
--------------------------------------

You have under estimated the depth of feeling on this subject it appears....
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat, FI Silver, DL alumnus
Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick
Now, the 757 BOS-MAN route looks like absolute gold for elite passengers - book it far enough in advance to get 2A/2B for the coach price, and be done with it. If I can get halfway decent connections out of MAN on BA, that might become my route of choice.
I agree. But unfortunately BOS-MAN is seasonal and, as you alluded, BA connections onward from MAN are pretty sketchy.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Just logged onto AA.com and saw JFK-LHR$239 (before taxes, etc. needless to say) in my "NetSaaver Alert" box. Heretofore that would have got me excited-- all those off-season long-weekend jaunts to TXL, LON, FCO, etc... All a thing of the past now. Now I gotta' hold on to my eSWU's like they are gold.

This su€k$.

If AA has new J seats in mind-- they better hurry up and announce them.
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:18 pm

My bet is that this fee will be imposed on VIPs too, and if not, that the VIPs issued to those who qualify for 2004 activity from now on will be restricted to Y,B fares (maybe, if we're real lucky, some less discounted fares as well).

Even though I will requalify for EXP this year, I find this concerning. Normally, in year I'd burn through 8 VIPs and some mileage upgrades between myself and wannabe S.O.'s trips. Now wannabe S.O. (PLT) will comp over to US, and fly to get status and upgrades, etc., so we can take advantage when we're better off flying another airline. And when we fly international, her ticket will be purchased with miles. Bye bye lots of revenue, AA.

Anyone else notice how it is almost always cheaper to buy a trans atlantic on another carrier than AA? And I keep paying more to take advantage of the upgrade policy....
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Just logged onto AA.com and saw JFK-LHR$239 (before taxes, etc. needless to say) in my "NetSaaver Alert" box. Heretofore that would have got me excited-- all those off-season long-weekend jaunts to TXL, LON, FCO, etc... All a thing of the past now. Now I gotta' hold on to my eSWU's like they are gold.

This su€k$.

If AA has new J seats in mind-- they better hurry up and announce them.
If it makes you feel any better, it's $342 after taxes. Not far from my $350 example.

Is an exit seat in coach that much worse for you than biz?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.